DAJK

DAJK's Best and Worst of 2017

The Bye Bye Man is the most hilarious movie in quite some time. I havent laughed that hard at a movie since...well probably The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Like the latter, its practically a parody of its genre.

It fucking SUCKS though ofc. Horrible piece of garbage :hahaha:

• Like 1

Thank you @DAJK for including The Shack in this list. I agree with everything you said; the acting is very well done, but the pacing and script are both lackluster. Those flaws aren't avoidable. And there's certainly better faith-based films from this year- All Saints and The Case for Christ, namely.

It's harder for Christian filmmakers to give glory to God if they fail to pay attention to film form and cinematic language. The message itself doesn't make the film for you. So if a faith-based film is bad, people should call the film out on its faults in a respectful and instructive manner. So I do thank you for placing that film on your list, and I do thank you for providing your reasoning the way you did.

13 minutes ago, slambros said:

Thank you @DAJK for including The Shack in this list. I agree with everything you said; the acting is very well done, but the pacing and script are both lackluster. Those flaws aren't avoidable. And there's certainly better faith-based films from this year- All Saints and The Case for Christ, namely.

It's harder for Christian filmmakers to give glory to God if they fail to pay attention to film form and cinematic language. The message itself doesn't make the film for you. So if a faith-based film is bad, people should call the film out on its faults in a respectful and instructive manner. So I do thank you for placing that film on your list, and I do thank you for providing your reasoning the way you did.

It's like any genre, where a bad entry will unfortunately turn off viewers from future installments in the genre. Whether it be a comic book movie, or a faith-based film, any genre has the potential to churn out films with really good messages, but also good movies in and of themselves. I never watched Case for Christ, but everyone who came and saw it really enjoyed it, which included many people who don't usually come to movies, and I call that a triumph in the industry. 

• Like 1

# 16 Best Movie of 2017

It

a78cc0683450bafe65e50945b884429a9761e410

Rotten Tomatoes score: 85%

Domestic Box Office: $327.5M as of this writing

Stand-outs: Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise, and the way it felt almost ''Spielberg-ian''

''Despite the many terrifying moments they endure in their quest -- scenes that will leave you trembling and giggling at once -- It is even more powerful in the warm, easy camaraderie between its young stars.'' - Christy Lemire, RogerEbert.com

''IT was definitely one of the most fun theater experiences I've had this year.  It's a very engaging movie when there's a packed audience, and it's filled with laughter, emotion and effective horror.  It's bizarre yet also incredibly engaging.'' @New Year New Panda

My take - I was just supposed to list my top 15, and put this down as an honorable mention, but that just feels like cheating. So I'm going to cheat a slightly different way and make a top 16 list instead, just so I can include this film. Man, did this movie just blow the socks of the industry, and for good reason. It is a consistently entertaining, endearing, and chilling film about children overcoming their individual fears. Oh, and there's a scary-ass clown in there somewhere too. 

From the opening scene alone of Bill making the boat for Georgie and the credits coming across the scene, this movie is cut together in such a way that I felt like I was already watching a classic from the 1980's. This movie is so expertly crafted and cut together to not only give the setting a historical fee, but the make of the film itself. The music is haunting, the shots are intelligent and well-crafted, and the editing is magnificent. All the work from the child actors is superb, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of them are going to be around for a while in Hollywood

I mentioned that this movie felt somewhat Spielberg-ian. Not sure if that's a popular opinion or not, as when I mentioned it to my sister she completely disagreed. But for some reason I do get some Spielberg vibes from the way this film was crafted. Not only does it include wonderful child acting, but the whole thing is endearing. Even the horror elements had a sense of adventure to them, and maybe that's a sickening thing to say, but for me it was an aspect of the movie that helped it catch on with the general public even more. Sure, stakes were high and the whole thing probably wasn't a whole lot of fun for the characters, but in some ways this movie felt sort of like an R rated ET... if ET ate children. I don't know... do any of you understand what I'm trying to get at? Does anyone agree?

Either way, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Enough to extent my list to 16 films just so that it could ''officially'' be a part of the list. 

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 1

# 15 Best Movie of 2017

Gifted

144e7e48d846d37eb9d6098fe7fd492e.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes score: 73%

Domestic Box Office: $24.8M

"Gifted" is an engaging comedy-drama that avoids becoming too much of a tearjerker.'' - Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post Dispatch

''Lovely & charming movie filled with wonderful performances.'' - @TalismanRing

My take - Hopefully a lot of you remember this film, and for those who haven't seen it, it really was one of the hidden gems that came out this spring. Directed by Marc Webb, who I can say has now been forgiven for TASM2... even though I wouldn't say that movie was his fault, but I digress.

Gifted's two main leads are tremendous in this film. Both gave authentic performances, and both of them really made their characters pop out of the screen. The story at the movie's core is more than just about a really smart girl, but it's also about the choices you make in life and how you determine you are going to live your life. I saw this movie when I was at a real crossroads about going to UBC in Vancouver only because ''I got accepted and it was a good school'' instead of taking time to figure out what I really wanted to do. This movie addressed a situation of living your life vs always having to push yourself beyond your limits because of what others expect out of you. It was a beautifully told message.

Despite the relatively slow pace of the movie, it didn't feel slow for a second. I was enthralled with every second of what was going on on screen, almost as though I was living with these characters, experiencing their situations with them. When a movie can do that to its audience, I would say it has succeeded. And the ending is incredibly powerful. I implore you, if you have not already seen Gifted, do it as soon as possible. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 7

# 14 Best Movie of 2017

Thor Ragnarok

giphy.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 92%

Domestic Box Office: $312.7M

''This viewer ... was wowed in fits and starts, but mostly filled with a new, ungrudging respect for Hemsworth.'' - Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

''I loved every single minute of it. It has flaws ofc, every movie does, but the entertainment factor was way too high for me to give a f*ck.'' - @Brainbug

''Visually, I thought this looked like ass, probably the worst looking Marvel since.. I can’t remember when?'' - @Goffe

My take - I wanted to show a positive and negative review from fellow Forum members for this one, just as a way of acknowledging that my taste will be at times very different from others', while some other users may completely agree with me. With Thor Ragnarok, I'm of the side of the fence of ''yeah it certainly had some flaws, but it was just too entertaining for me to really care.''

I'm not of the breed who will love every Marvel movie simply because it's a Marvel movie. Hell, I definitely had my skepticism about this one, since I was super excited for The Dark World back in the day and pretty much hated that film. But ever since that movie, Marvel really found their footing once and for all, and pretty much everything they've put out starting with Winter Soldier I've pretty much loved. This is the reason we come to movies now; to laugh, and have fun together as a big crowd watching a movie we are all excited for. Sure, Lady Bird may be an incredible movie, but I can have the same experience with that one at home on my laptop as I would in theatres. Thor on the other hand, it's about the experience. 

That aside, really do think the film is good in its own merits. Hemsworth really shines as be becomes more attuned to the role he seems to have been born to play. The Hulk is the best he's been since The Avengers nearly six years ago. The film is really well directed I found, with a lot of the action playing out very nicely on screen. The movie is easy on the eyes and nice on the ears. And the humor really lands this time, unlike the last time Thor got his own movie... yikes. Ragnarok isn't without its problems though; Goldblum's character was :gold: I found, and the second post-credit scene was not funny at all nor worth the wait. There are some cheesy moments for sure that step outside what I wanted from this film, but in my opinion, the sheer amount of enjoyment I got out of watching this trumped all the negatives I had. Folks like @baumer and @Goffe I know didn't like this, and that's cool too. I'm just glad I got to see a really entertaining movie with a close group of friends and we all had a good time with it. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 7

# 13 Best Movie of 2017

Wind River

HospitableLonelyLeafbird-max-1mb.gif

Rotten Tomatoes score: 87%

Domestic Box Office: $33.8M

''Sheridan paints a searing picture of life on society's margins - people who live with 'silence and snow' and not much else.'' - Bob Mondello, NPR

'' I was engrossed with it from the start and besides the direction and writing from Sheridan, which is top notch, the part that drew me in was the performance first by Renner and then by Olsen.'' - @baumer

''I liked this alot! It has the typical Sheridan problem of "characters going into extremely meaty existential monologues about society and life" that are wildly out of place, but those are also awesome for giving the actors so much to chew on.'' - @Cmasterclay

My take - Extremely powerful, and very sad but incredibly well made movie. I didn't initially think Wind River would make my list when I first initially saw it, but the movie stuck with me for weeks and weeks following and just wrenched at me constantly. I am not Aboriginal nor am I of Native American descent, but I have cousins and friends who are, and I chose to study First Nations culture whenever possible in school, have participated in ceremonies, and have experienced a First Nations sweat lodge. I have the utmost respect for their culture and way of life, and to see a movie that portrays many of the hardships that these people have to go through still to this day is incredibly heartbreaking.

This movie brings up many of these issues, but in an incredibly respectful manner, without pointing fingers or looking for fault in any one person. It also deals with further challenging subject matter such as rape and murder, which is equally as sad and heartbreaking for many reasons. The fact that Wind River was able to cover so much ground, while still rooted in being an excellent film in and of itself, is the reason it made this list. The performances are top-notch, with Renner I would say delivering a performance that tops his Hurt Locker turn, and Olsen being the best I've ever seen her. 

The script and direction is also superb. Another example of a relatively slow movie that did not feel slow at all, Wind River builds its tension throughout the runtime, and even after the big climax has happened, you never get that full release. Sheridan does a great job with this picture, juggling multiple key aspects and excelling at all. The big shoot-out, which I won't say any more about, is one of the most intense moment I have seen in film this year, and literally had be gripping the armrests of my seat. 

Another movie that, while it did very well for what it was, did not exactly make it big at the box office. I'm sure there are many people who still have not seen this, and if you are one of them, I urge you to check it out. It is not an easy watch, but a memorable one, and it is well worth it. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 8