Ezen Baklattan

BOT Golden Globes - Ceremony Discussion Thread!

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

It’s played very much like a comedy too.  Ultimately, if you’re separating things by comedy or drama it’s less about something being funny and more about the tone and mood of the movie.

One of the reasons Three Billboards, Get Out and the Martian should all be dramas despite being funny.

Only the last act of The Disaster Artist gets really super dramatic for obvious reasons. Three Billboards or Get Out, which despite having funny moments, are about characters in unfortunate or sad situations, and thus fit the bill of drama more then comedy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slambros said:

Off topic, but on the subject of comedies, I think time will be kind to the underrated Fox Searchlight comedy Wilson, the one that stars Woody Harrelson.

Haven't seen Wilson yet, but I've heard decent things, and I'm a fan of Clowes's work in general, so I might check it out if I can find it.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Haven't seen Wilson yet, but I've heard decent things, and I'm a fan of Clowes's work in general, so I might check it out if I can find it.

It's had a nice run on HBO this week if you can access it.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Unfortunately I do not have HBO or regular cable right now, so I may have to stream or look for it online. 

That's okay. The film is not great, but I think it is worth a look. One of the most actually comedic comedies of the year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Only the last act of The Disaster Artist gets really super dramatic for obvious reasons. Three Billboards or Get Out, which despite having funny moments, are about characters in unfortunate or sad situations, and thus fit the bill of drama more then comedy. 

Yeah, and it’s not like a drama needs to be sad, but it needs to have a tone that’s more serious in nature.  There’s plenty of light dramas, but despite the humor they take their subjects more seriously and less light hearted.

Lady Bird would be right in between, I wouldn’t object to it being in either category.  It’s really a dramedy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

One of the reasons Three Billboards, Get Out and the Martian should all be dramas despite being funny.

I think Three Billboards wouldn't have been out of place in the comedy category, if I, Tonya which is a black comedy can be put in Best Picture - Musical or comedy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Get Out is more horror than drama though.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think Three Billboards wouldn't have been out of place in the comedy category, if I, Tonya which is a black comedy can be put in Best Picture - Musical or comedy.

Haven’t seen I, Tonya but the trailer plays moare satirical in nature (similar to a Wolf of Wall Street kind of tone) which may fit it in a comedy category.

But again, I haven’t seen it so I can’t say for sure whether it’s category fraud or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I, Tonya is definitely more of a comedy than Three Billboards (or Lady Bird for that matter).

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Get Out is more horror than drama though.

I mean if you are only dividing movies into drama or comedy, I think a horror movie would fit into drama.  While a light hearted action movie like Ragnarok would fit in comedy.

• Like 2