MaxAggressor

Daily Numbers : Monday 8th January 2018, The Last Jedi 1.8 million

15 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

No one is denying China can save a movie/franchise. The discussion was about China’s becoming the new domestic market. There’s a difference between China being important for certain movies, especially those that underperform in NA and being the most important market for most movies in terms of profit regardless of NA performance. I don’t see China growing to that level for the next several decades, especially if they continue with their current policies.  

15 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

THANK YOU!

That's what i said ... it's not happening now, and i don't know ir or when it will happen in the future. I never said it is never happeing. Just that at today China's returning box office profit rates, movies need to make more than double NA bo to get same profit. So whoever said "i hope when A2 comes out, CHina is the international "domestic" market" is something might not happen within 2 years.

I can't agree with you in 100% because with bigger and bigger budgets good result in China is necessary to make profit. So in this sense that there was time when good result in DOM was enough to make a profit, and now it's not enough. Do you really think that number of blockbusters who made a profit WITHOUT China is much bigger than number of blocbusters saved by China?   

And I'm not claming that China is more important than DOM, or will be when A2 will be released I don't agree with JamesCameronScholar,

but I also don't agree with you in 100%

Edited by weresweresweres
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, weresweresweres said:

I can't agree with you in 100% because with bigger and bigger budgets good result in China is necessary to make profit. So in this sense that there was time when good result in DOM was enough to make a profit, and now it's not enough. Do you really think that number of blockbusters who made a profit WITHOUT China is much bigger than number of blocbusters saved by China?   

You don't need a good result in China if the result everywhere else is good. 

Yep I definitely do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meriodejaneiro said:

As long as studios get only 20 or 25% back from China theaters (considering you believe the box office numbers that are given by chinese government), the real domestic will always be north america.  Movies need to make more than double NA box office in China to get the same net profit. 

If you are talking theatrical, not when you consider release cost, studio tend to make 21% net of a China release.

So a 100m box office in China mean an around 21m net profit from theatrical.

In domestic a 100m box office usually mean an around 53m rental (if you are not disney with a Star wars type product getting 65m) and say a low/mid 40m domestic releasing cost for a 13m net profit from theatrical, smaller than China.

It is outside the very big title that make over 200m more about the post-theartical windows revenues that make domestic domestic, and China just China, no ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weresweresweres said:

Imho thanks to dom studios can cover what they spend and thanks to china they're making profit. They wouldn't make a movie if they couldn't cover what they spend AND if they can't make a profit. So china is becoming as much important as dom. 

I will disagree with you there. The Markets not named US, Can and China are responsible for 55% of the worldwide gross.

So they are just as important.

And movies already made profit before China was a big market.

Even Expensive ones did.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

I will disagree with you there. The Markets not named US, Can and China are responsible for 55% of the worldwide gross.

So they are just as important.

And movies already made profit before China was a big market.

Even Expensive ones did.

And how many of this 55% was spend on local movies? I was thinking that we are talking about american movies. I agree with you that all other markets combined are as much important as china or dom, did i ever claim otherwise? I was comparing dom and china and i didn' t say a word about others international markets. Of course movie can make a profit without china did i ever claim otherwise? 

Edited by weresweresweres

20 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

Imho thanks to dom studios can cover what they spend and thanks to china they're making profit. They wouldn't make a movie if they couldn't cover what they spend AND if they can't make a profit. So china is becoming as much important as dom. 

If dom covers budgets ... then profit is China ... and everywhere else (Europe, Japan, Oceania, SK, central and south america, áfrica...)