MaxAggressor

Daily Numbers : Monday 8th January 2018, The Last Jedi 1.8 million

7 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Are you saying that's never going to start happening on a regular basis?

For movies like Avatar and Fast&Furious, definitely. For most movies, not likely. Even superhero movies make less than half their domestic gross in China and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. They’ve seemingly reached a ceiling in China with AoU. The Chinese market may continue to grow steadily, but outside of the occasional WoM monster with limited competition, most Hollywood movies will continue to have NA as the domestic market for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Wow, your iq must have melted down off your ears by now. 

I always knew troll don't read, but this ... too much for me. 

Try quoting the whole sentence. That should be easy even for a troll. 

As long as studios get only 20 or 25% back from China theaters (considering you believe the box office numbers that are given by chinese government), the real domestic will always be north america.  Movies need to make more than double NA box office in China to get the same net profit. 

Is English even your first language? I'm going to assume not because what you stated heavily implied exactly what I quoted. In future, add an if before a statement, gives you a little more flexibility in meaning bud. 

80c.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I don't know when it will and if it will ... just saying that at those rates (20-25%) of incomes return from China, the numbers say a movie needs more than double de NA box office in China to get the same profit. 

How many movies have doubled NA box office numbers in China so far?

Xander Cage did 4x times better in china and resident evil 6x times better.

9 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

Thanks to China this movies made a profit. And f8 was close to 2x, and made in china 170 mln more than in usa.

O, i'm gonna give you F8 too ... that's 3 movies ... 

4 movies in fact ... Transformers 5 made 130 dom and 230 China, not x2 but "almost". 

But that's not only due to good chinesse performance, but to clearly domestic underperformance. Don't see any reason to be happy. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The overpredictions for TLK on this board are insane. It will be lucky to crack 600M and that number i doubt heavily as well.

People in sizable numbers thought members citing upwards of $400m for Beauty and Beast were crazy as well.

Maybe BatB has spurred folks to take the "safety" out of their predicts or perhaps the "crazy" predicts will turn out to be true once again. 

1 hour ago, New Year New Panda said:

City of Stars?

And beyond just the songs, Hurcwitz’s score also plays a prevalent role in the film 

Audition is also quite memorable, and Hurwitz score is great too. In fact I find most of La La Land's music to be quite good, and while I haven't seen TGS yet, just based off what I've listened to, I doubt any of the songs are as good as La La Land's best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Audition is also quite memorable, and Hurwitz score is great too. In fact I find most of La La Land's music to be quite good, and while I haven't seen TGS yet, just based off what I've listened to, I doubt any of the songs are as good as La La Land's best. 

None of the songs are as good as La La Land’s worst (the John Legend pop song which is actually underrated).

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

None of the songs are as good as La La Land’s worst (the John Legend pop song which is actually underrated).

Start A Fire is actually a bit underrated, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

Thanks to China this movies made a profit. And f8 was close to 2x, and made in china 170 mln more than in usa.

That’s the point. There are certain movies that will do 2x domestic in China, but it’s nit the norm and doesn’t look to become the norm anytime soon. Looking at possible movies scheduled for the next 2-3 years, which besides Avatar, F&F, Transformers, PotC, etc. could make 2x domestic in China? F8, RE and XXX may have done it, but that’s only 3 out of the many movies that were released in China. Add the fact that China limits the number of movies a studio can release there, have specific blackout dates that can affect gross, and strict censorship, I don’t see changes happening for a while. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

That’s the point. There are certain movies that will do 2x domestic in China, but it’s nit the norm and doesn’t look to become the norm anytime soon. Looking at possible movies scheduled for the next 2-3 years, which besides Avatar, F&F, Transformers, PotC, etc. could make 2x domestic in China? F8, RE and XXX may have done it, but that’s only 3 out of the many movies that were released in China. Add the fact that China limits the number of movies a studio can release there, have specific blackout dates that can affect gross, and strict censorship, I don’t see changes happening for a while. 

These movies have in common being domestic under performers. 

2 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

I think you are missing the point. Right now it's very unlikely that movie will make a profit only because of domestic market, so chinese market is becoming as much important like domestic. Of course i'm not going to say that china will one day become more important than DOM but china is already franchise saver, and i don't why someone could think that it will change in future.

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The overpredictions for TLK on this board are insane. It will be lucky to crack 600M and that number i doubt heavily as well.

I think this movie can go either way, as it still is one and a half year till it's release.

Either it will get back into normal regions after BatB (so somewhere around Alice and Jungle Book ($330-370M) I doubt it will fall in the region of Cinderella, Oz and Maleficent ($200-240M)), or it will explode and gross more than BatB.

If Disney does everything right, than the sky is the limit.

I also think Beyonce in the cast might help too.

I think the Opening Day has a Chance of being over Alice 2 and Opening Week might (if it is good!) be over Maleficent.

As long as we now nothing apart from that I have no solid idea.

Edited by Taruseth

4 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

I think you are missing the point. Right now it's very unlikely that movie will make a profit only because of domestic market, so chinese market is becoming as much important like domestic. Of course i'm not going to say that china will one day become more important than DOM but china is already franchise saver, and i don't why someone could think that it will change in future.

No one is denying China can save a movie/franchise. The discussion was about China’s becoming the new domestic market. There’s a difference between China being important for certain movies, especially those that underperform in NA and being the most important market for most movies in terms of profit regardless of NA performance. I don’t see China growing to that level for the next several decades, especially if they continue with their current policies.  

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

Warcraft almost 5x times better. You can't expect that movie will do hundreds of millions in usa and double that in china, at least not right now...

THANK YOU!

That's what i said ... it's not happening now, and i don't know ir or when it will happen in the future. I never said it is never happeing. Just that at today China's returning box office profit rates, movies need to make more than double NA bo to get same profit. So whoever said "i hope when A2 comes out, CHina is the international "domestic" market" is something might not happen within 2 years.

12 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

So China save them....

That doesn't always happen.

13 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

And without Domestic most movies wouldn't do profit right now.

I think China in generell isn't as important as Dom right now. Most movies would make profit without China, SW, BatB, most Superhero movies, Animation films (outside of Coco) etc. Even Fast & Furious would be profitable without China.

China will continue to save franchises, yeah.

China will become more important one day (maybe 2020, maybe 2200), because 1.3B vs. 330M people that might watch a movie.

Edited by Taruseth