aabattery

The Commuter (2017)

Choo choo  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Wasn't sure whether to give it a B or a C, settled on a C but it could very easily be a B. Really not a bad film at all. There's some great moments where the tension builds very well, as well as a couple cool action setpieces. The movie definitely feels somewhat smaller-scale than Non-Stop, but the first two acts are better than that film.

It's the third act I'm not really sure on. Yeah, I guess it remained pretty entertaining. But the ''twist'' you could see coming from a mile away, and the explanation for why everything was happening was not conveyed well enough, leaving me just a bit confused, or having to fill in some holes myself. It's a Liam Nesson action film, I should be able to zone out for ten seconds and still get the gist of it. 

Entertaining, maybe worth a matinee ticket. You won't hate yourself for seeing it, but Paddington is the far superior option this week.

A pure, relentless thrill ride that gradually builds and builds in suspense and thrills until the conclusion.  Can’t believe they relegated a film this good to the dump months of January, but if it means we’ll be getting films like this when we least expect it, then hey I’m all for it

Edited by That One Guy

:rofl: that gif in the first post. You kill me @aabattery

Anyway, this is enjoyable but completely forgettable. The collaboration of Liam Neeson and director Jaume Collet-Serra has certainly mastered the art of the "entertaining disposable first-quarter-of-the-year thriller" by now. I won't remember much about it by tomorrow but eh, it's fun while it lasts. B-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just found a key plot point unbelievable.

The ticketing system on the train was too high tech.

C+

I just checked and my commute is almost identical to Grand Central-Cold Spring. 

I've also made a shocking discovery.  The stopping patterns in the movie don't match the real life stopping patterns for trains to Cold Creek.  

I liked it a lot.  Tense, tight, Hitchcockian in so many ways.  The train derailment was terrific.  Great characters and fun to see the Conjuring guys on screen in the same movie.

7.5/10

I was mildly intrigued by the premise, trying to find a hidden target on a train. But as soon as the film decided to give up on the premise and just turn it into Taken on a train, it was boring. the action scenes really took me out of it, I'm prepared to suspend my disbelief quite a bit but this jumped the shark.

Also were we meant to be shocked at who the villain was? Because as soon as he walks into the bar at the beginning you think to yourself, "oh okay, so that's the villain", at least I did, and I'm not very smart so I assume everyone else did too.

Just awful, everything about it. I stopped paying atttention halfway through it, but does it make any sense?

Also, lmao this very humorless movie literally having its only 5 jokes (yes, I counted) in a span of 20 minutes.

That Hardcore Henry one shot brawl 🤮

1/10

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, That One Guy said:

Did you hold your breath when he was trapped under the train and rolled under it? because I did.

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Come to think of it, that happened a few times–laughing at stuff not intended as humorous.

Edited by Goffe
  • Haha 1

The Commuter is a typical Liam Neeson action joint. There's a few moments of really smart style - the opening credits and a remarkably enjoyable one-take fight scene - but most of it falls into a generic setting. Still, it's a fun watch, although one can imagine it playing better on TNT than on the big screen. The Commuter functions as a dumb thriller that never forgets how silly it all is, and thus, is refreshing despite the average quality. C