MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates per DHD (p.15): J 19.75M, 12S 15.3M, DoT 14.7M, TP 12.1M, TGS 11.1M, P2 8.3M, TC 6.8M, TLJ 6.5M, I:TLK 5.9M, FMG 4.3M

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Molly's Game was fucking fantastic. Really need to slip it in with my top of 2017 list. One of the best of the year for sure. Aaron Sorkin is a writing GOD

Did really well at my theatre tonight. Our equivalent of 5.2M OD, although my system doesn't take into account low TC's. Still a good number though.

Greatest Showman kinda disappointed here, 3.4M Friday. Kinda thought it would do near 5M but oh well, Molly's Game did 2.5x what I thought it would.

Yeah I caught Molly's Game last weekend.  Totally agree, one of my favorites of 2017.  In my top 5.  It's crazy how a movie that we've all seen in one way or another before can become so good with Sorkin's writing.  I really couldn't look away... it really just sucks you in.  

I'm prob the only one who saw Den of Thieves - ha.  I'll just say I was entertained and leave it at that.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Zootopia did 19m its 5th weekend and added 66m from there. That would put Jumanji at 383m. With a higher 5th weekend and light competition, I think it may be headed for 390ish. 

And NATM legs (12m weekend and then added 46 more) give it 80m more for ~398 after a 20.8 weekend.

• Like 1

Sorkin should give writing lessons to Martin McDonuts to be honest.

Maybe some interesting things could have been said on these freaking billboards.

Edited by The Futurist

Jumanji passes Thor Ragnarok, didn’t see that coming at the start of its run!! I thought it was a more enjoyable film anyway.

Both those openers did better than expected, considering I’d never heard of them last weekend.

A shame for Proud Mary and The Commuter hasn’t caught on at all like I thought it would. 

Great hold for the Greatest Showman. 

We went to see Three Billboards last night and it was fantastic. Frances McDormand deserves the Oscar. What a great role. The movie was surprisingly very funny too. 

That's a pretty good theater average for Den of Thieves.  12 Strong did about what I expected.  Interesting that the Post drops to 4th in its second weekend.  It's going to have a nice drop this weekend and perhaps it has a shot at 70 million.  More, if it does some major damage at the oscars.  What more can be said about Jumanji?  I don't think it will hit 400 but it's going to be really close.  As for TLJ, yep, it crosses 600 and no one cares.  Such a ho hum reaction to a film that is going to finish 5th or 6th of all time.  Insidious looks like it's going to finish around 65-68 million and you can bet they are going to dfind another key and make a 5th film.  Way better results than most thought it would achieve.  

Forever Your Girl had about zero promotion to it, at least in my part of the world.  The only reason I know about it is because Jessica Rothe is in it, and it is her follow up to Happy Death Day.  

Fuck You Greatest Showman.

The Commuter will end with about 40 million or so, another okay effort from Neeson.

Too bad Molly's Game didn't do better.  Same with I, Tonya.  Two fantastic films with incredible performances by the two female leads.  

And Proud Mary collapses.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Why the hate? :lol: Did you dislike the film or is there another reason?

I haven't seen it.

I never will.

Lies and distortion of the truth.

Circuses are enslavement and torture camps for animals and they conveniently left this part out of this "feel good" story.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

I haven't seen it.

I never will.

Circuses are enslavement and torture camps for animals and they conveniently left this part out of this "feel good" story.

Thats fair. I hate the circus as well.

Theres no denying that audiences are enjoying TGS though.

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Thats fair. I hate the circus as well.

Theres no denying that audiences are enjoying TGS though.

Of course they are.  I'm sure it's a terrific movie.  But making this movie as a feel good film for the whole family is like making a feel good Holocaust film for the whole family.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Of course they are.  I'm sure it's a terrific movie.  But making this movie as a feel good film for the whole family is like making a feel good Holocaust film for the whole family.  

Ehhh...thats way too far for me. Im big on animal rights and im very happy that circuses are mostly a thing of the past today, but the industrial killing of 6 Million innocent people cant be compared to even the worst things circuses have ever done.

Dont want to derail the thread with this though.

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ehhh...thats way too far for me. Im big on animal rights and im very happy that circuses are mostly a thing of the past today, but the industrial killing of 6 Million innocent people cant be compared to even the worst things circuses have ever done.

I agree. I understand that it was an innocent comparison, and I agree with that stance on circuses - they are basically animal torture chambers - that comparison is WAYYYYYY too much. Circuses have NOTHING on the Holocaust as far as tragedy and sadism are concerned.

Don't wanna be rude or arrogant, so don't take this the wrong way, but people seem to make a lot of dumbfounded Nazism comparisons nowadays, almost as if they don't have an actual understanding of what Nazism really was to its core.

A better comparison would've been a would-be version of Blackfish that depicted SeaWorld as a happy holiday destination w/all kinds of regard for animal safety and good treatment, in example.

But yeah, let's move on. Again, don't take it the wrong way.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 7

1.7 million Friday for TLJ is a very good number. The Fri-Fri drop for TLJ is just 36.33%. R1 and TFA dropped 46.16% & 44.13% respectively. TLJ is also much closer to R1's 6th Friday than what I was expecting. R1 is just 3.23% higher than TLJ on Friday while the former was ahead 15.07% w.r.t the latter over the whole of last week and the average increase of the dailies in last week was 15.86%. So the Friday number is very good considering the previous circumstances. It's also very good in the sense that TLJ bucks a trend where it continuously did below par/average on a Friday (while also showing much better signs on Saturday).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I haven't seen it.

I never will.

Same! That’s why I’m not interested in supporting it. 

Plus despite Zac Efron being gorgeous, I really don’t like Hugh Jackman.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Then you don't know enough about circuses.  

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree. I understand that it was an innocent comparison, and I agree with that stance on circuses - they are basically animal torture chambers - that comparison is WAYYYYYY too much. Circuses have NOTHING on the Holocaust as far as tragedy and sadism are concerned.

Don't wanna be rude or arrogant, so don't take this the wrong way, but people seem to make a lot of dumbfounded Nazism comparisons nowadays, almost as if they don't have an actual understanding of what Nazism really was to its core.

A better comparison would've been a would-be version of Blackfish that depicted SeaWorld as a happy holiday destination w/all kinds of regard for animal safety and good treatment, in example.

But yeah, let's move on. Again, don't take it the wrong way.

Then you have no idea what happens to animals in circuses.  Not a clue.  

But then, yes, let's move on.

• Like 1