MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates per DHD (p.15): J 19.75M, 12S 15.3M, DoT 14.7M, TP 12.1M, TGS 11.1M, P2 8.3M, TC 6.8M, TLJ 6.5M, I:TLK 5.9M, FMG 4.3M

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I haven't seen it.

I never will.

Lies and distortion of the truth.

Circuses are enslavement and torture camps for animals and they conveniently left this part out of this "feel good" story.

I'm with you. And having a shitty pop song about "accepting the different" from that movie beating a beautiful song that is actually diverse in the oscars is the most Hollywood thing ever.

• Like 1

Jumanji and The Greatest Showman are both monsters in their own ways at this point. Is the latter gonna make $150M+ now? And is $400M out of the question for the former?

12 Strong and Den of Thieves had solid openings. The latter did especially well considering everything about it screamed "January dump." Forever My Girl did okay, all things considered. Fine expansion for Phantom Thread.

1 hour ago, MaxAggressor said:

1.7 million Friday for TLJ is a very good number. The Fri-Fri drop for TLJ is just 36.33%. R1 and TFA dropped 46.16% & 44.13% respectively. TLJ is also much closer to R1's 6th Friday than what I was expecting. R1 is just 3.23% higher than TLJ on Friday while the former was ahead 15.07% w.r.t the latter over the whole of last week and the average increase of the dailies in last week was 15.86%. So the Friday number is very good considering the previous circumstances. It's also very good in the sense that TLJ bucks a trend where it continuously did below par/average on a Friday (while also showing much better signs on Saturday).

I’m not saying it was the entire reason for the disparity this week, but TLJ lost IMAX/PLF last Friday while R1 didn’t. Now the playing field is level in that respect 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

I’m not saying it was the entire reason for the disparity this week, but TLJ lost IMAX/PLF last Friday while R1 didn’t. Now the playing field is level in that respect 

Uhh... no... it didn't. I just saw TLJ in IMAX Thursday. It lost SOME IMAX screens last Friday, yes, like the one nearest me, but the largest IMAX screen in Oregon was still playing it through Thursday, as were many others nationwide.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, baumer said:

Then you don't know enough about circuses.  

One thing, because its very important to me, then ill also stop the discussion.

Circuses were and are a living hell for animals, yes. Trust me, im informed. But thats NOTHING compared to the horrors and inhumanity that the Holocaust brought to so many people. Its the most despicable mass murdering in human history because of the way it happened. Maybe you dont know enough about the Holocaust. Hopefully its not because youve only seen movies about it. I dont really like movies like Schindlers List or The Pianist, because they are way too tame. Reality was MUCH worse.

Some questions: Did the circus managers force the animals to dig their own graves, then to line up naked before them to get shot in the head? Did the circus managers force the animals to go into gas chambers in masses? Did the circus managers use young animals for deadly genetic and chemical experiments? Did the circus managers force the animals to do Death marches with the target to kill most of them? Did the circus managers plan to exterminate all circus animals?

Educate yourself about the Holocaust, asap. Not only about Auschwitz-Birkenau, but also the Treblinka extermination camp, Belzec and Sobibor, Josef Mengele and the "Generalplan Ost".

If you then still believe that circuses can be compared to the Holocaust, ill loose respect for you, sorry.      

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Uhh... no... it didn't. I just saw TLJ in IMAX Thursday. It lost SOME IMAX screens last Friday, yes, like the one nearest me, but the largest IMAX screen in Oregon was still playing it through Thursday, as were many others nationwide.

Conveniently the source I used for showtime data in the Nielsen top 40+1 has some weird run-ins with data over the past 2 weeks, but rest assured, TLJ lost a ton in the markets that matter last weekend. Compared to say, MLK for Rogue One http://analyzer.fmlnerd.com/showtimes/Showtimes2016AwardsWeek7.html

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

One thing, because its very important to me, then ill also stop the discussion.

Circuses were and are a living hell for animals, yes. Trust me, im informed. But thats NOTHING compared to the horrors and inhumanity that the Holocaust brought to so many people. Its the most despicable mass murdering in human history because of the way it happened. Maybe you dont know enough about the Holocaust. Hopefully its not because youve only seen movies about it. I dont really like movies like Schindlers List or The Pianist, because they are way too tame. Reality was MUCH worse.

Some questions: Did the circus managers force the animals to dig their own graves, then to line up naked before them to get shot in the head? Did the circus managers force the animals to go into gas chambers in masses? Did the circus managers use young animals for deadly genetic and chemical experiments? Did the circus managers force the animals to do Death marches with the target to kill most of them? Did the circus managers plan to exterminate all circus animals?

Educate yourself about the Holocaust, asap. Not only about Auschwitz-Birkenau, but also the Treblinka extermination camp, Belzec and Sobibor, Josef Mengele and the "Generalplan Ost".

If you then still believe that circuses can be compared to the Holocaust, ill loose respect for you, sorry.      

Circuses are a holocaust.

I dont need your respect. 

54 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Circuses were and are a living hell for animals, yes. Trust me, im informed. But thats NOTHING compared to the horrors and inhumanity that the Holocaust brought to so many people.

Why is this even being debated?

• Like 1

HOLY FUCK TGS :ohmygod: 

Great holds for Paddington and Jumanji

$3,900 is a decent PTA for Phantom Thread. With Oscar nominations, it can expand to 1,200-1,500 theaters and still stay around 2,500-3,000

There were comps at my theater that had Forever My Girl doing 4M, but I thought they weren't possible. I was wrong :jeb!: 

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

HOLY FUCK TGS :ohmygod: 

Great holds for Paddington and Jumanji

$3,900 is a decent PTA for Phantom Thread. With Oscar nominations, it can expand to 1,200-1,500 theaters and still stay around 2,500-3,000

There were comps at my theater that had Forever My Girl doing 4M, but I thought they weren't possible. I was wrong :jeb!: 

:sparta:

• Sad 1

I'm glad that Paddington had such a good hold, especially considering the Godawful opening. One can hope that it's an even lower drop than that (sub 20%). Even if it misses P1's total, a 5x multiplier would be proof that these movies can still have an audience in NA. With a better release date and more promotion, they can do a lot better than this.

Jumanji and TGS continue to be absolute monsters. Jumanji may challenge a 400M gross, while TGS could do 10x its 5-day opening, and come not too far from its 6-day. That is mindblowing on both accounts.

12 Strong and Den Of Thieves also outperforming my expectations, especially Den. Between these two + Insidious, January has had a boom of adult-oriented stuff.