Eric Atreides

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

https://theplaylist.net/jumanji-sequel-star-wars-2019-20180124/

While there’s no official announcement just yet, The Wall Street Journal reveals that Sony chief Tom Rothman is aiming to have the followup to “Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle” in theaters for Christmas 2019, where it will square off against “Star Wars: Episode IX” which opens on December 20, 2019. Is that folly or hubris? Hardly. While Disney has certainly owned the December frame with their “Star Wars” films, Hollywood has learned they can still have success with smart counter-programming. For example, “Daddy’s Home” opened a week after “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on Christmas Day, and went on to earn $242 million worldwide. “Sisters,” which opened the same weekend as ‘The Force Awakens,” tallied $105 million worldwide. Both played to different, niche moviegoers, and scored big.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 4

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Wicked vs 3manji vs IX will be interesting 

Fixed that, for you.

Also, I think this will more than likely drop from Jumanji 2. It could have a 100M+ 5-day opening, but it will still probably make sub-350M. Lightning in a bottle isn't something you catch twice in a row, if history proves anything.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fixed that, for you.

Also, I think this will more than likely drop from Jumanji 2. It could have a 100M+ 5-day opening, but it will still probably make sub-350M. Lightning in a bottle isn't something you catch twice in a row, if history proves anything.

I'm going to say it'll be similar to what happened with NATM2 although that was in summer rather than Christmas. Star Wars and Wicked is going to be tough competition. I'd personally have Jumanji open on December 13th just so there is breathing space.

I wonder if Wicked will move to Christmas Day? 

• Like 2

I expect a major drop off, tougher competition and Jumanji seems less like a franchise and more like a lightning in a bottle type of run.

Jumanji doesn’t have a franchiseable concept as the hook just doesn’t work as well a second time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Wicked vs 2manji vs IX will be interesting 

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fixed that, for you.

JUMANJI: EPISODE III :hahaha:

Edited by a2knet