La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

I'm curious to know how people will react to a scene that happens during the middle of this movie...

I read the whole thing and I actually stopped for a while, before going back to read. 

The ending...well...I don't know what the hell is that thing. Perhaps the execution might be better. I still don't know if I want to see that movie. One review says people would leave theaters, wanting to see Solo again just to make sure everything will be ok.

4 hours ago, harrycaul said:

So it has a campy ending?

<ducking>

<running>

Let's not talk about the ending since anything I might say may be considered a spoiler. If you want to know more write to me. 

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm curious to know how people will react to a scene that happens during the middle of this movie...

I read the whole thing and I actually stopped for a while, before going back to read. 

The ending...well...I don't know what the hell is that thing. Perhaps the execution might be better. I still don't know if I want to see that movie. One review says people would leave theaters, wanting to see Solo again just to make sure everything will be ok.

It's not a movie that aim to make $100m+. People who are easily shocked, a large part of the popcorn audience will react badly but many viewers will love it. While there is very graphic violence in the movie it's done in a serious, you could even say respectful way. It's not violence for the sake of violence. I saw it with my girlfriend who never watches horrors and World War Z was too scary for her (she literally had her eyes closed for 90% of the movie) and she loved the film. Seriously if this was late 70s or early 80s it would be a cult film and  huge commercial phenomenon. Don't read the spoilers though. To me you have ruined the movie for you. It's still worth the watch as it's superbly made. If this was released in 2017 it would be one of my top3 movies of the year. It would compete with Phantom Thread and Call me by your name. I have already seen the movie twice and I'm happy that I did. I rarely buy blu rays but I am sure I will get this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spagheditary said:

Sheerly anecdotal evidence, but one of the multiplexes in my area is putting this on two screens....one of which is the theater's biggest auditorium.

100M opening weekend confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Spagheditary said:

Sheerly anecdotal evidence, but one of the multiplexes in my area is putting this on two screens....one of which is the theater's biggest auditorium.

This is actually getting the biggest non-XD auditorium as well here. Hoping it opens as well as it possibly can.

• Like 1

For real though, anything above 10M OW is good for Hereditary. I think the "scariest movie in years" hype and Oscar buzz for Toni Collette and Original Screenplay will help carry it over The Witch. If it opens to 15M+ and legs it over 50M, we can start talking Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor nominations. 

9 hours ago, Fanboy said:

For real though, anything above 10M OW is good for Hereditary. I think the "scariest movie in years" hype and Oscar buzz for Toni Collette and Original Screenplay will help carry it over The Witch. If it opens to 15M+ and legs it over 50M, we can start talking Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor nominations. 

No chance it gets best picture. Remember the academy are 57 year old white males. This movie is not super friendly towards people watching screeners with their family. If people didn't watch get out on principle they won't see this.

Best actress is probable though

Just now, norbar said:

No chance it gets best picture. Remember the academy are 57 year old white males. This movie is not super friendly towards people watching screeners with their family. If people didn't watch get out on principle they won't see this.

Best actress is probable though

I'm not saying a nomination will happen, but reviews are pretty undeniable and I think this will be near the top of most critics' year end lists like Get Out was. If the smaller critic groups support it during awards season it'll be difficult for academy members to ignore it on their ballots. I suppose it depends on what A24's main Oscar horse will be at the end of year, too. 

8 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I'm not saying a nomination will happen, but reviews are pretty undeniable and I think this will be near the top of most critics' year end lists like Get Out was. If the smaller critic groups support it during awards season it'll be difficult for academy members to ignore it on their ballots. I suppose it depends on what A24's main Oscar horse will be at the end of year, too. 

I feel like this year as a whole is a wierder year for A24 in terms of potential Oscar candidates. It's not that their output is bad -- Lean On Pete and First Reformed are both widely considered to be good -- but their heavy hitters don't feel like they'd be chosen over more Oscar-ish films, academy rejuvenation or not. Of course, any film that is rightfully regarded as one of the best films of the year has a better shot than others, but films like Hereditary, Eighth Grade, and Under The Silver Lake simply don't strike me as films that would normally be candidates. We'll see what happens, but this may be a year where A24 takes a bit of a knee.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fanboy said:

Academy members ignore critics lists all the time. A much more viewer friendly and old white man friendly "Florida project" was top5 of 2017 for 200 critics poll of indiewire and it barely got any recognition. Also don't compare it to get out. Get out was more of a racial issue film than a horror. If Lionsgate didn't screw up the marketing for "Blindspotting" it might be this years get out but a worse (but still good) Blackkklansman will take that spot and get lesser recognition than blindspotting. 

Hereditary is just a movie many critics will ignore because it's so disturbing and they don't like disturbing movies (see Lanthimos movies or We need to talk about Kevin which shares similarities with this).

From movies released this year the almost sure oscar nominations are:

- Toni Collete (but not movie, maybe music, sets or something like that)

- Paul Schrader for first reformed screenplay

- Ethan Hawke for first reformed

- Joaqin Phoenix for You were never really here

Adam Driver may get a supporting nod for Blackkklansman, maybe that movie will get something more. Blindspotting maybe gets a screenplay nod.

Edited by norbar

I don't think Phoenix is getting anywhere come awards time. As for Florida Project it was likely the victim of A24 choosing to pour all their resources into campaigning Lady Bird. 

The Lanthimos movies and Kevin were much smaller releases than this and not nearly as universally praised. And still The Lobster got a screenplay nomination. 

• Like 2

A24 will get nominated for something in Best Picture this year. No one had Lady Bird on their radar until September last year. They have Eighth Grade with universal acclaim coming next month, and Mid 90s could make a big impact if it plays well at all the film festivals later in the year. Hereditary's fate will probably be determined by its box office and audience reception though. If its CinemaScore is in the Cs, it's probably over. Collette is a near-lock for a nomination at this point, at least. 

I haven't read a review (even the mixed ones) that hasn't raved about Toni Collette's performance. I think she's in, unless this gets torn apart by audiences like mother!, but I doubt it will be that hated. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I haven't read a review (even the mixed ones) that hasn't raved about Toni Collette's performance. I think she's in, unless this gets torn apart by audiences like mother!, but I doubt it will be that hated. 

I’m hoping it doesn’t get the F cinemascore. 

Opens here next friday, 15th. Can’t wait. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't think Phoenix is getting anywhere come awards time. As for Florida Project it was likely the victim of A24 choosing to pour all their resources into campaigning Lady Bird. 

The Lanthimos movies and Kevin were much smaller releases than this and not nearly as universally praised. And still The Lobster got a screenplay nomination. 

Kevin was on the best of the year list for MANY MANY critics. Not to mention "Personal Shopper" which was top10 for many. Also sorry but getting only a screenplay nod is not that great even if i agree with it after reading the screenplay.

1 hour ago, norbar said:

Kevin was on the best of the year list for MANY MANY critics. Not to mention "Personal Shopper" which was top10 for many. 

They were also very small releases from small studios, and alienating in subject matter in execution. They had passion from a certain subset of critics and cinephiles going for them, but little else. This is a wide release from A24 that will get much broader visibility and likely broader support than those two and other similar films that never went beyond the arthouse theaters. 

• Like 1