La Binoche

A24's HEREDITARY

59 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

They were also very small releases from small studios, and alienating in subject matter in execution. They had passion from a certain subset of critics and cinephiles going for them, but little else. This is a wide release from A24 that will get much broader visibility and likely broader support than those two and other similar films that never went beyond the arthouse theaters. 

This also has a very alienating subject matter. Also I was not arguing with you but with Fanboy who claimed critical support is all this movie needs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, norbar said:

Get out was more of a racial issue film than a horror

I found the racial aspect to be a clever plot device for the horror. Get Out could have been made without racial hot takes and its horror themes would still shine.

14 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

I found the racial aspect to be a clever plot device for the horror. Get Out could have been made without racial hot takes and its horror themes would still shine.

But it would not be as Oscar friendly without the racial issues. Remember politics play a large role in the Oscar. Also the Racial issue was huge for the discussion about the movie. 

Initial impression is that this is quite good but not great. Slow burn for sure but the dread is real, I was holding my breath through most of the second half. What this movie can do with just the simplest sound effect is impressive. Aster is a better director than writer though, the story meanders and the set-up and payoff is not as strong as it could have been. The ending in particular didn't work as well for me as it was clearly supposed to. Rosemary's Baby and The Witch are the best comparisons I can think of overall but both those movies are a good deal more meticulous and tightly structured as far as both horror and drama go.

Collette is excellent but as far as nominations it's too early to say for certain.

Don't think the GA is gonna be too crazy about it but it's not F cinemascore material either. The Witch numbers should be the target, anything above that is gravy.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Initial impression is that this is quite good but not great. Slow burn for sure but the dread is real, I was holding my breath through most of the second half. What this movie can do with just the simplest sound effect is impressive. Aster is a better director than writer though, the story meanders and the set-up and payoff is not as strong as it could have been. The ending in particular didn't work as well for me as it was clearly supposed to. Rosemary's Baby is a good comparison overall but that movie is more meticulous and tightly structured as both horror and drama. 

Collette is excellent but as far as nominations it's too early to say for certain.

Don't think the GA is gonna be too crazy about it but it's not F cinemascore material either. The Witch numbers should be the target, anything above that is gravy.

Funny thing is I really think the things that don't work for a small minority of people here are what does not work in Rosemary's baby. That movie is just sacred now so few people are willing to criticize it. 

Also being a better director than writer can take you a long way. Just look at Nolan :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Literally rewatched Rosemary's Baby yesterday. It holds up. 

Not saying it directly to you but unconsciously people give more credit to old movies and foreign movies since we interpret them differently vs new movies, especially the ones with a lot of hype. You can observe that with initial reactions to Blade Runner, The Thing, Matrix, Fight Club.

I'm surprised you say the story meanders. The first part is slow but there are no side plots here really. It all aims at one thing. The ending is also a clear homage to Rosemary's. I really think a rewatch of the movie would help. I've seen it twice and I appreciate it more.

Holy fuck. 

I don't know how audiences are going to respond to this, it certainly won't get higher than a B CinemaScore, but woah. Even reading spoilers for the entire movie, I didn't expect what I got.

I feel like even talking about how I reacted might ruin some people's expectations for this film, but I will say this: Give Alex Wolff an Oscar right now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Holy fuck. 

I don't know how audiences are going to respond to this, it certainly won't get higher than a B CinemaScore, but woah. Even reading spoilers for the entire movie, I didn't expect what I got.

I feel like even talking about how I reacted might ruin some people's expectations for this film, but I will say this: Give Alex Wolff an Oscar right now. 

Image result for alex wolff jumanji gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norbar said:

Not saying it directly to you but unconsciously people give more credit to old movies and foreign movies since we interpret them differently vs new movies, especially the ones with a lot of hype. You can observe that with initial reactions to Blade Runner, The Thing, Matrix, Fight Club.

I'm surprised you say the story meanders. The first part is slow but there are no side plots here really. It all aims at one thing. The ending is also a clear homage to Rosemary's. I really think a rewatch of the movie would help. I've seen it twice and I appreciate it more.

Perhaps it would. I'm not gonna be seeing it again till the home video release, though, since it's only playing here dubbed. Once was enough.

I'll go into more detail once the RTM thread is opened so as not to tempt folks with spoilers here but let's just say I didn't feel like the story strands were tied together particularly well in the end. Certainly not as well as in Rosemary's Baby which is a very thematically unified movie. This one changes focus throughout. 

These kind of movies generally don't appeal to the GA. Just is what it is... But, A24 knows how to market them well enough to make some profit. Horror has a lot going on now. A24 has their slate, It has its sequel, Halloween has another installment coming, Conjuring universe has The Nun and, of course, Luca G. has his Suspiria coming soon as well. Good times for horror hounds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Holy fuck. 

Do you think many people will hate it?

I read the spoiler and I know how crazy this movie might be.