Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Wouldn't really call hot take, more like a silly one. Using that brainless logic, you could dissect every movie ever made. Someone is eating meat in a film - slap in the face of vegans? Every film that has a villain that represents a different country is racist? Even Finding Dory upsets some countries because they dare to have a lesbian couple in it. All the MCU heroes are bastard, right? They blow up buildings and lot of people suffer because of it? Give us a break. Also bringing in Ukraine is not only tasteless but shows the writer's lack of knowledge and ignorance. Sad but true that there's a deadly war somewhere in the world every year, so if 2022 is not a good time for TGM, neither will be any year. 

The fact that the film purposely named no countries, just referring them to enemies makes it clear that it wants to be as neatral as possible. I love how they used Mark Kermode's quotes, when people actually go and read/listen to his review, they'll find that he absolutely loved TGM (despite not liking the original TG) and teared up many times. :)

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The take is not entirely wrong, the mission in this movie is literally neocon propaganda.

If you take things out of context, yes. Context matters, though. I do think that propaganda is the wrong choice of words here regarding TGM (original TG is a different story). You are dealing with unnamed faceless villains,  they couldn't have made it more neutral in this setting. It was clear that it wasn't the focus point of the film, a little sidenote at best. As I said before you can dissect every film with that logic. You can say that Finding Dory was liberal propaganda, but it's clear to everyone that it wasn't the main thought process making the film.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

If you take things out of context, yes. Context matters, though. I do think that propaganda is the wrong choice of words here regarding TGM (original TG is a different story). You are dealing with unnamed faceless villains,  they couldn't have made it more neutral in this setting. It was clear that it wasn't the focus point of the film, a little sidenote at best. As I said before you can dissect every film with that logic. You can say that Finding Dory was liberal propaganda, but it's clear to everyone that it wasn't the main thought process making the film.

Lol come on dude.

Spoiler

Putting aside the fact that the enemy 5th generation jet in this move is the Su-57(Russia's prototype 5th generation fighter jet), the mission in this movie is something that Israel, with the backing of US hardliners, has very publicly wanted to do to hidden underground nuclear facilities in Iran for a LONG time.  Swap out the US and NotRussia in TGM for Israel and Iran and its exactly that, a preemptive strike on Iranian nuclear sites.  Its not subtle at all to anyone who knows a thing or two about current geopolitics.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a requirement by the State Department or the Pentagon in exchange for the use of real jets. 

I can't really get mad about it because it doesn't really matter, TGM is but a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Good afternoon and my wishes! Like a breath of fresh air, after watching a good movie you always remain under a strong impression, and after a while you review it again and again. This is exactly what the continuation of the story of the American pilot with the character of "Top Gun: Maverick" is. Strongly matured Tom Cruise was again able to make believe in his hero, even if it was fictional. And of course, breathtaking shooting and special effects, it’s not in vain that I’ve been waiting for this premiere for almost two and a half years, to watch this movie I need to clear the history of vpn. I won’t spoil it, but in short the movie is just a bomb, I wish everyone to watch this movie)

Edited by robertopupka
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol come on dude.

I can't really get mad about it because it doesn't really matter, TGM is but a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

Of course it is, but really...as you said, what does it matter, in this case?  Take a look at Michael Bay's movies for what I would argue is a much more damaging overall perception of American "neocon" ideology that was marketed to worldwide audiences.  Messages matter, of course... but I ask you...if we're talking about this movie -- what other kinds of missions would these "Top Gun" guys be doing, at this point?  These are the missions they'd be on.  I've seen the movie and I think it's surprisingly chaste not only in its romance elements (barely a kiss!) but also in its politics.  It's perfectly constructed to appeal across demographics for emotional resonance and yes, little substance.  But it's great entertainment.  Even the first 'Top Gun' movie was much more jingoistic. 

Edited by Macleod

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My partner and I had a watch party last night and I can now say that watching it as part of a group of 30+ gay men has now supplanted Avatar as my #1 theatre going experience. 

Viva la TC! 

is that 30 and more gay men, or a group of gay men over 30 years old?

when Avatar re-releases in September you'll remember why it was #1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

is that 30 and more gay men, or a group of gay men over 30 years old?

when Avatar re-releases in September you'll remember why it was #1

More than 30 gay men, various ages, although most were also over 30.