Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

We're not getting into a war with Iran even though the Soleimani assassination was an extraordinarily stupid move when its comes to safety of personal in the region.  Iran can't realistically retaliate directly without getting their airforce and soviet-era missile defense systems knocked out in a day leaving all of their important assets, infrastructure, and government buildings as target practice for US carrier groups and Tomahawks.

Exactly. Ali Khamenei and the other high-ups in Iran will have strong words for Americans - like they already have - but it will amount to nothing and they know it. It won't stop the alarmist Trump-hating media from doing their alarmist and sensationalist thing though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The producers of this film are very nervous after the events of the last 48 Hours. If a real war happens, with body bags coming home, a rah rah film is going to be a very hard sell.

Except  this movie ain’t connected to any real world war so I’m not sure what you mean 

• Thanks 1

If I'm not mistaken, the general was taken out by a drone. This film is about a hot shot pilot who despises drone warfare. It's not like he was a good guy to begin with. The conversation seems petty in relation to the film.

Edited by ThePhasmid

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 2:23 PM, Alli said:

Shit is about to get real. This movie better hope no real war starts and things calm down

You and me against the rest of the people in this thread on this.

Painfuly clear quite a few people exist in their own little world as far as movies go, and hate it when reality intervenes.

Guarannted, a rah rah war is exciting film like this will be badly hurt if a real one starts, and the body bags start coming home.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:54 PM, JB33 said:

Exactly. Ali Khamenei and the other high-ups in Iran will have strong words for Americans - like they already have - but it will amount to nothing and they know it. It won't stop the alarmist Trump-hating media from doing their alarmist and sensationalist thing though.

Well, that theory just went up in smoke..literally.

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Well, that theory just went up in smoke..literally.

I live in San Diego. The psychosphere concerning conflict is palpable right now. All bases on high alert.  It's all over the local news. I'm not one to give into hyperbole, but this type of atmosphere hasn't been felt since...you know when (at least some of you do).

Edited by ThePhasmid

This could either be the number #1 domestic hit of the year or a massive bomb depending on how tensions between the U.S. and Iran pan out. In my mind, the war can be the thing to unite Americans and reignite interest in a patriotic film such as this. Or maybe that's an outdated WWII-era ideology. On the flipside, people really can choose to avoid this if the narrative and America's morale pertaining this potential war is universally negative. But Paramount needs a hit extremely badly, and if they play their cards right, I think this film can play an important, vital role in American culture. All it needs to do now is be of good quality.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

San Diego on high alert ?

About Iran ?

Is my world map wrong ?

LOL. I believe it's in response to the threats made about targeting military assets/personnel. Who knows what intel they've been given. Hell, after yesterday's events, even the local PD is making a greater presence in the area.

Edited by ThePhasmid

4 hours ago, SLAM! said:

This could either be the number #1 domestic hit of the year or a massive bomb depending on how tensions between the U.S. and Iran pan out. In my mind, the war can be the thing to unite Americans and reignite interest in a patriotic film such as this. Or maybe that's an outdated WWII-era ideology. On the flipside, people really can choose to avoid this if the narrative and America's morale pertaining this potential war is universally negative. But Paramount needs a hit extremely badly, and if they play their cards right, I think this film can play an important, vital role in American culture. All it needs to do now is be of good quality.

It is. 

And has been for a long time. 
SInce Vietnam, frankly.

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

San Diego on high alert ?

About Iran ?

Is my world map wrong ?

Uh, The US Military, the Navy and Marines in parituclar. have a huge presence in the San Diego . It's the home base for the Pacific Fleet,the only bigger US Naval Base is Norfolk. Also the Marines have their biggest installation about 25 miles north at Camp Pendleton. If you in the Navy or the Marines, you can pretty much count on spending some time in "Dago". Impossible to visit San Diego, even just for Comicon, and not notice it.

I think all US military bases when on high alert after the airfield attacks. SOP, probably. And since a lot of fast deployment forces are based in the San Diego area,naturally they would go to alert status.

Incidently, the US Navy Seals have their main facilities in San Diego. It's there main training base.

Edited by dudalb

On 1/8/2020 at 12:42 PM, dudalb said:

Uh, The US Military, the Navy and Marines in parituclar. have a huge presence in the San Diego . It's the home base for the Pacific Fleet,the only bigger US Naval Base is Norfolk. Also the Marines have their biggest installation about 25 miles north at Camp Pendleton. If you in the Navy or the Marines, you can pretty much count on spending some time in "Dago". Impossible to visit San Diego, even just for Comicon, and not notice it.

I think all US military bases when on high alert after the airfield attacks. SOP, probably. And since a lot of fast deployment forces are based in the San Diego area,naturally they would go to alert status.

Incidently, the US Navy Seals have their main facilities in San Diego. It's there main training base.

Dub put it more eloquently than I could.