WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

My hunch is that it'll be a bit of both, as much as King disliked the film adaptation of The Shining, it was a huge hit and WB would probably want some elements from the Kubrick film in Doctor Sleep.

King did not dislike the Shining ;he thought it was a good movie, he just though it did not represent the book very well.

His biggest gripe was that the film became a Jack Nicholson vehical,with the other charecters being cut to shreds to make more screen time for Nicholson. The character of the mother, who was a very strong female character in the novel, particularly suffers.

Same thing happened in the 1969 True Grit: It became a John Wayne vehical, with the other charectres taking a back seat compared to their roles in the novel. The 2010 film is much more balanced and closer to the novel.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am in a minority since I am not crazy about the Kubrick film, the novel was much better.

You are not in the minority , there’s millions of horror fans that hate the Kubrick film, it’s just that the Kubrick sheep are jumping up and down with a mob mentality when somebody dares to questions Kubrick’s version, which is an incomprehensible mess where nothing makes sense and all we get is a crazy looking Nicholson from the first frame of the film. The book is beautiful, from being a study to a human person’s descent into madness (which the film doesn’t even attempt to portray) to the actual explanation of why everything is happening in that hotel (which again the film brushes off). 

The Kubrick sheep would have you believe that this incomprehensible film is better than the book , most of whom haven’t even read it and aren’t even horror fans just sheep  trying to pass off as cinephiles. The only thing the film has is some nice photography and imagery.

1 minute ago, Thrylos 7 said:

You are not in the minority , there’s millions of horror fans that hate the Kubrick film, it’s just that the Kubrick sheep are jumping up and down with a mob mentality when somebody dares to questions Kubrick’s version, which is an incomprehensible mess where nothing makes sense and all we get is a crazy looking Nicholson from the first frame of the film. The book is beautiful, from being a study to a human person’s descent into madness (which the film doesn’t even attempt to portray) to the actual explanation of why everything is happening in that hotel (which again the film brushes off). 

The Kubrick sheep would have you believe that this incomprehensible film is better than the book , most of whom haven’t even read it and aren’t even horror fans just sheep  trying to pass off as cinephiles. The only thing the film has is some nice photography and imagery.

And the character of Danny's Mother, who is a very strong character in the novel, is reduced to a typical cringing damsel in distress in the film. King is right to be critical of the movie for that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And the character of Danny's Mother, who is a very strong character in the novel, is reduced to a typical cringing damsel in distress in the film. King is right to be critical of the movie for that.

Not only that but Shelley Duvall ....give me a fucking break. The film resonated with critics that, at that time, considered horror films to be trash and somehow Kubrick did the genre a favour by directing a horror movie. The fact that some ignorant people dare to compare that version with the book (which again I am willing to bet that most haven’t read)  is almost infuriating. Thankfully Stephen King is so accomplished, famous and successful that doesn’t really need defending.

25 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The Kubrick sheep would have you believe that this incomprehensible film is better than the book , most of whom haven’t even read it and aren’t even horror fans just sheep  trying to pass off as cinephiles.

The Shining is my 3rd favorite film of all time, I love all kinds of horror films and I haven't read the book and won't claim it's better than the book because it wouldn't be a fair judgement to make.  thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The sheep are coming....

when you can't express an opinion without immediately declaring "btw anyone who disagrees is a sheep lalalaalalala" as your own way of attempting to invalidate any sort of response before one can even crop up it makes you look very insecure in your opinions. one day you'll learn to love what you love without worrying about different opinions invalidating your own i believe in you man :) 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 7

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Thank you thrylos I guess for discouraging me from ever reading the novel. Stephen King is just too accomplished and famous and successful I'm not worthy of wading in there. I'll stick with the movie.

Oh no what is that I see it's millions of horror fans descending upon me in righteous fury. RIP me. bye fellas it's been nice talking to you

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

when you can't express an opinion without immediately declaring "btw anyone who disagrees is a sheep lalalaalalala" as your own way of attempting to invalidate any sort of response before one can even crop up it makes you look very insecure in your opinions. one day you'll learn to love what you love without worrying about different opinions invalidating your own i believe in you man :) 

Except that the replies (yours too) basically justify what I wrote. Anyway thanks for believing in me , I believe in you too that someday you will find something else other than the internet (with your one billion posts just in this forum)😋

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Except that the replies (yours too) basically justify what I wrote. Anyway thanks for believing in me , I believe in you too that someday you will find something else other than the internet (with your one billion posts just in this forum)😋

"anyone who disagrees with me is a sheep" *person disagrees with you* "aha! you see! justification! he disagreed with me therefore he is a sheep."

i could easily say if you respond to this or post in this thread again it's proof you've never wiped your butt after taking a shit. if you reply i will be completely justified that you cannot wipe your own ass.

and yeah i'm on the internet. i go on the internet for work, welcome to the 90s.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Except that the replies (yours too) basically justify what I wrote. 

What, you expected anyone to invest their time and energy into seriously arguing with you after you insulted them with zero provocation?

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

"anyone who disagrees with me is a sheep" *person disagrees with you* "aha! you see! justification! he disagreed with me therefore he is a sheep."

i could easily say if you respond to this or post in this thread again it's proof you've never wiped your butt after taking a shit. if you reply i will be completely justified that you cannot wipe your own ass.

and yeah i'm on the internet. i go on the internet for work, welcome to the 90s.

I know you are always on the internet, trust me it shows.😂

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

What, you expected anyone to invest their time and energy into seriously arguing with you after you insulted them with zero provocation?

Oh that’s cute, in a forum where direct personal insults are prelevant in every thread, nameless Kubrick fans felt insulted.