WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

37 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

La Llorona faces Endgame in its 2nd weekend. Zero shot at 100M.

Assuming it gets good buzz from SXSW, I could see them pushing it up a week? A la Rampage last year, then $100m could be possible if they really get awareness up (though WB's Horror division has some of the most effective marketing in the game as far as putting butts in seats go, so that shouldn't be too hard)

I feel like Flanagan is one of the most dependable names in horror recently, between his very successful Netflix endeavours alone, and the aforementioned WB Horror marketing team + Shining connection makes me feel quite confident in $150m dom tbh

17 minutes ago, TMP said:

Assuming it gets good buzz from SXSW, I could see them pushing it up a week? A la Rampage last year, then $100m could be possible if they really get awareness up (though WB's Horror division has some of the most effective marketing in the game as far as putting butts in seats go, so that shouldn't be too hard)

I feel like Flanagan is one of the most dependable names in horror recently, between his very successful Netflix endeavours alone, and the aforementioned WB Horror marketing team + Shining connection makes me feel quite confident in $150m dom tbh

If anything, they should push it for the week AFTER Endgame comes out (on early May). Endgame 2nd weekend spillovers might boost it (especially if the film runs at 3 hours, which may or may not mean smaller opening and less showtimes, in favor of better legs... I guess). Amongst the onslaught of May openers, none of them are horror, so it would have zero competition until, if I'm not wrong, the Child's Play remake, which is a June opener. Rampage lucked out to gross 100M, but Rampage was a high concept monster movie that appealed to families and starred The Rock. La Llorona doesn't have anywhere near as much as hype as other big horror films or as Rampage did, and opening it so close to the likes of the Pet Sematary remake and Us isn't worth it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If anything, they should push it for the week AFTER Endgame comes out (on early May). Endgame 2nd weekend spillovers might boost it (especially if the film runs at 3 hours, which may or may not mean smaller opening and less showtimes, in favor of better legs... I guess). Amongst the onslaught of May openers, none of them are horror, so it would have zero competition until, if I'm not wrong, the Child's Play remake, which is a June opener. Rampage lucked out to gross 100M, but Rampage was a high concept monster movie that appealed to families and starred The Rock. La Llorona doesn't have anywhere near as much as hype as other big horror films or as Rampage did, and opening it so close to the likes of the Pet Sematary remake and Us isn't worth it.

Delaying it to a week after Avengers means that it has PikaGod in week 2 :ohmygod:

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Delaying it to a week after Avengers means that it has PikaGod in week 2 :ohmygod:

Ooooh, scary, a PG family/kids movie. Great competition for a PG-13/R-rated horror film......?

They can co-exist just fine. If anything, Avengers will be hurt by Pikachu, not Llorona. (Ok, Pikachu having a huuuge opening could hurt Llorona, but nowhere near as much as Avengers would.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

6 hours ago, lilmac said:

Successful King adaptations are more the exception than the rule. Doubt the connection to The Shining will mean much in terms of draw (The Shining adjusts to $147m). My guess is sub-$100m w/o seeing the trailer. 

That's a really silly way to talk about The Shining, as though it has zero presence outside its original theatrical run. It's very much become an iconic film over the last 40 years.

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

I had no interest in this film up until @lilmac just mentioned that this is connected to The Shining, in which case I will go and see this film. Didn't know it was related. Thanks @lilmac

Me neither. Interesting.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got caught up in the La Llorona discussion and forgot I was in the Doctor Sleep thread haha! Yes, 'Doctor Sleep' is King's sequel to 'The Shining'. Still have yet to read it. It's on my list.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

The Shining's a top 5 film for me so it's hard not to be slightly intrigued, but given how much King loathed the movie it does feel a bit have-your-cake-and-eat-it for this to hark back to its imagery so much. Also, the book this is based on got pretty bad reviews as I recall.