That One Girl

Life Itself | September 21, 2018 | Amazon | Oscar Isaac, Olivia Wilde

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no promotion for this even with solid cast

I have no idea what this movie's plot is from the marketing tbh. Oscar Isaac and Olivia Wilde meet and he delivers a long ass speech about how they are fated to be together and then...a whole bunch of other people enter and live life and stuff? It's so vaguely presented that there's nothing to interest anyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I got an ad for this movie while watching "One hour nonstop nursery rhymes - Wheels on the bus and more". Not sure that's the demo this movie should be targeting.

The film is so unsubtle and unintelligent that it might as well be.

For some reason, reading scathing review tweets is so much more entertaining than reading glowing ones. I just get a kick out of seeing just how bad a movie is by seeing what the critic compares to it. 

The one about the soul leaving the theater and had my lmfao 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

In the theater now. Will report in about 2.5 hours.

😐

Honestly, I feel bad about trashing this movie, because the crowd I was with seemed to be into it. One of the child actors in the movie was even there...but I'm gonna trash it anyways.

People go on about how this film is a feature-length This Is Us. Honestly, I wish this was a feature-length TIU, because then the product would actually be good. It's a mess, it's unsure what it wants to be, it's acting is decent at best and poor at worst (the fact Dan Fogelman managed to make Oscar Isaac's performance weak is unforgivable), its writing is ridiculous, it's ungodly manipulative, it's pretty much a trainwreck.

On the upside, this is very, very fun to riff on and laugh at. I honestly want to recommend this to y'all, just so you can see all of the weird, dumb shit this movie pulls, and for us all to have a big laugh over how stupid this is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

😐

People go on about how this film is a feature-length This Is Us. Honestly, I wish this was a feature-length TIU, because then the product would actually be good.

Honestly, if This Is Us were a two-hour movie and not a TV series, you'd likely end up with this. Some stories just lend themselves much better to series/miniseries than they do to movies (and vice versa).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3