That One Girl

Life Itself | September 21, 2018 | Amazon | Oscar Isaac, Olivia Wilde

This romantic drama features some of the worst dialogue I’ve witnessed this year. None of these characters interact like real people. They speak in one of two functions: short responses or long tangents that go nowhere as they aim for humor but come across as shock value, or in order to start smart and complex discussions that come across as pretentious. Dan Fogelman thinks he’s Aaron Sorkin with his dialogue when he’s really more of an Akiva Goldsman.

FULL REVIEW: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies/life-itself-review

Edited by rjones1325
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Read the script a while back. Oscar Isaac needs to fire whoever told him to do this movie.

It's kinda been downhill for him ever since he officially went "mainstream." His upcoming projects don't sound likely to get him close to an Academy Award any time in the near future either.

Just now, filmlover said:

It's kinda been downhill for him ever since he officially went "mainstream." His upcoming projects don't sound likely to get him close to an Academy Award any time in the near future either.

At least he got a small part in Annihilation but yeah, his flops have been very floppy lately. I think he's going too far in the conventional leading man direction which isn't really his thing honestly. I think like Fassbender, he'll figure that out sooner or later.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:52 AM, filmlover said:

He did great making something out of a nothing role in Force Awakens but yeah everything after that has been :apocalypse:

Maybe being a white male invalidates what I have to say, but as somebody who has seen this film, and heard such brilliant lines like "I always wanted my son to marry a girl with dead parents," and "I love it when you talk to me in Spanish. I feel just like Kelly Ripa," I...I don't think I'm the problem here.

• Haha 8

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Maybe being a white male invalidates what I have to say, but as somebody who has seen this film, and heard such brilliant lines like "I always wanted my son to marry a girl with dead parents," and "I love it when you talk to me in Spanish. I feel just like Kelly Ripa," I...I don't think I'm the problem here.

Nah man. Clearly those lines were supposed to make you emotional and well since you're a white male, you don't know how to emote. So anything that has like any emotion in it clearly isn't up your alley. I mean doesn't it make you sad when someone says they always wanted their son to marry a girl with dead parents? Or is that like too emotional for you :ph34r:

5 hours ago, dXairdryZid said:

Hope this movie turns out okay despite flopping and that it does not hurt Amazon too much

Jeff Bezos makes as much as this movie’s inevitable domestic total in the time it took to write this post. Pretty sure Amazon is fine.

• Like 1

The article takes what he said out of context. He didn't mean only white critics don't like his movie. He said the critics, as a group, a group made primarily by white guys, are very cynical these days and I agree.

Collateral Beauty had its flaws but it was not as horrible as reviews made it out to be. It was effectively touching. I'm sure the same happens with this one.

There's a review on Rotten Tomatoes that says: "I've seen Life Itself twice already, and I may even watch it a third time someday, not because it's perfect-it isn't-but because just as with my own life, I like to revisit the high points."

And that sums up everything. A flawed film can also have qualities and I miss the days where film criticism was about reviewing movies seriously and objectively, balancing out the qualities and the flaws, not just making fun of the movie in order to get page views and attention on social media.