DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***BLACK PANTHER SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

I really enjoyed killmongers character. Guy had every right to be pissed off and essentially had his idea taken on board, killed then passed on as their own. He just needed a hug and family bonding time. Wasn't a massive fan of the Ancestors on ships references etc, its been long enough in history now that people should just forget and move on.

Edited by Jessie
  • ...wtf 1

That reference at the end I found a bit odd because not because people should move on..

I think it felt out of place, perhaps should have had him reference it in the middle of the film and it would be been way more effective.

59 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

That reference at the end I found a bit odd because not because people should move on..

I think it felt out of place, perhaps should have had him reference it in the middle of the film and it would be been way more effective.

Why should people not move on? A few generations have gone by since the dark days of western slavery. No-one alive today even has grandparents who were around during that time. 

3 hours ago, Jessie said:

I really enjoyed killmongers character. Guy had every right to be pissed off and essentially had his idea taken on board, killed then passed on as their own. He just needed a hug and family bonding time. Wasn't a massive fan of the Ancestors on ships references etc, its been long enough in history now that people should just forget and move on.

1) We shouldn't forget history whether it's the Revolutionary War, slavery, the Civil War, Native Americans losing their land, WW2, the holocaust, JFK's assassination, the Civil Rights movement, the Vietnam War, etc.

To do so it quite frankly Orwellian and extremely dangerous.

2) Also, white nationalism and neofascism are attempting to take over every Western democracy on the planet. We don't need to discuss and explore historical wrongs less. We need to discuss them more.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

1) We shouldn't forget history whether it's the Revolutionary War, slavery, the Civil War, Native Americans losing their land, WW2, the holocaust, JFK's assassination, the Civil Rights movement, the Vietnam War, etc.

To do so it quite frankly Orwellian and extremely dangerous.

2) Also, white nationalism and neofascism are attempting to take over every Western democracy on the planet. We don't need to discuss and explore historical wrongs less. We need to discuss them more.

Id say this is more an American problem. Maybe not forget history then but having it constantly brought up and thrown in our faces like we are the cause doesnt exactly help matters and can cause a divide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Why should people not move on? A few generations have gone by since the dark days of western slavery. No-one alive today even has grandparents who were around during that time. 

I think you have to look at the history.

The issue is the legacy of slavery does not have a huge impact in the UK itself. 

Slavery was pretty much banned since 1770 in the Somerset case in the UK and while the British were the biggest part of the Slave Trade they also put a lot of effort to end the practice around the world with the 1807 Abolition of the Slave Trade act. That bill pretty much started the end of slavery.

Slavery stayed till the 1860s in the US and then policies keeping blacks as defecto 2nd class citizens stayed till the 1960s and the legacy continue on. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

36 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Id say this is more an American problem. Maybe not forget history then but having it constantly brought up and thrown in our faces like we are the cause doesnt exactly help matters and can cause a divide. 

Yeah I don't think slavery or the holocaust should be weaponized to guilt trip anyone but everyone should study and understand why institutional racism and fascism rose and how to prevent them in the future.

We're not there yet. In fact, plenty of people support institutional racism and fascism today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah I don't think slavery or the holocaust should be weaponized to guilt trip anyone but everyone should study and understand why institutional racism and fascism rose and how to prevent them in the future.

We're not there yet. In fact, plenty of people support institutional racism and fascism today.

One of them is your president :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jessie said:

No-one alive today even has grandparents who were around during that time. 

WRONG. Generations can be much longer than you think.

My grandmother, who is still alive, was born in 1924. Two of her grandparents were born in the 1850s.

For a more extreme, and more political, example: John Tyler was born in 1790. He became President of the United States in 1841. He has two living grandchildren.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murgatroyd said:

WRONG. Generations can be much longer than you think.

My grandmother, who is still alive, was born in 1924. Two of her grandparents were born in the 1850s.

For a more extreme, and more political, example: John Tyler was born in 1790. He became President of the United States in 1841. He has two living grandchildren.

You had to dig hard for that but Regardless no-one alive today has either suffered or benefited from it so it gets boring listening to the complaints still to this day. The Germans get less slack and WW2 was far more recent.

Im born in a fair country where everyone has equal opportunity and i still hear a few uneducated 20 year olds bring it up like they have it hard. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Its not hard to prevent it in the future though is it? I cant speak for America because they are a little behind in most things but its like Morgan freeman said, best way to deal with Racism is simply not talk about it. Everyone should just see people as complete equals by now.

If you still have KKK walking around the streets or preaching then simply put they should be jailed

3 hours ago, Jessie said:

Its not hard to prevent it in the future though is it? I cant speak for America because they are a little behind in most things but its like Morgan freeman said, best way to deal with Racism is simply not talk about it. Everyone should just see people as complete equals by now.

If you still have KKK walking around the streets or preaching then simply put they should be jailed

It's intellectually dishonest, to say the least, to pretend that white nationalists aren't vying for national power in every major western democracy and succeeding in various ways.

Playing the "racism is a fringe belief that only stays relevant because blacks bring it up" trick might've worked ten years ago but not any more.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jessie said:

*coughbrexitcough*

33 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

*coughbrexitcough*

Brexit was a democratic process through with the highest levels of civic engagement by the British public than any recent general election.  I am sure if Brexit had a remain result, people would say it was a great example of democracy. 

Plus Brexit was just a huge warning light to our politicians that there is a huge disconnect and its 2018 and populists are still on the march across Europe. 

I do agree that Racism has fuelled a lot of this... 

Edited by Lordmandeep

On 04/03/2018 at 3:53 AM, grey ghost said:

Lmao.

You know 99% of Americans have never physically travelled to Africa to personally help but you picked the wrong person to play the "African charity" card.

I've been to South Africa and literally made rain money when I was surrounded by half a dozen child beggers who often roam the streets of Cape Town high on glue. I've also wrote checks for African charities.

But the suggestion that I don't really care about Africans because I rightfully pointed out that many Americans rather silence the angry Killmonger's of the world rather than acknowledge their historical perspective and reasons for resentment is the most elaborate display of mental gymnastics I've seen in weeks.

Bravo.

LOL wtf? African charity card? That's a thing now? Do you come up with new cards everyday?:hahaha:I wish I had the time to play this game of cards with you but there's better things to do. FWIW it's commendable that you did charity work but I won't stoop to your level and accuse you of playing any "card" for doing good deeds. I could care less what you or other Americans want to silence or not. As a brown guy in the middle east that has nothing to do with western politics, I'm perfectly happy with the entire movie - especially the ending and the message it sends. It seems like you have a problem with it and the fact that killmonger died - not me. Deal with it or knock yourself out with your ramblings.

Or you could try sending your blocks of rhetoric to Disney - I'm sure they have nothing better to do than pander to the musings of an angry social justice warrior on the internet because he wasn't happy with the events of what's probably going to be their highest grossing movie of the year.

Nice try though - better luck dragging someone else through the mud and wasting their time. Blocked so don't bother replying but you probably will anyway judging by how much time you seem to have on your hands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Also, civil rights are achieved and protected by so-called "angry SJW's".

These activists, throughout history, are not the problem. Black and white extremist who want to harm or disregard others are the problem.

There are SJW who help the cause and then those who just embarrass everyone involved.

In the end, those people are just a distraction from the larger issue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

There are SJW who help the cause and then those who just embarrass everyone involved.

In the end, those people are just a distraction from the larger issue. 

But basically anyone who actively combats racism or bigotry is labeled a "SJW". I've rarely have seen or heard right wingers defend a current activist as being an inaccurate example of a SJW.