That One Girl

Unbroken: Path to Redemption | October 5, 2018 | A sequel to Unbroken made by Pure Flix | From the director of God's Not Dead and God's Not Dead 2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7339792/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Zamperini returns to California where he wound up marrying Cynthia Applewhite while wrestling with untreated PTSD. Suffering constant nightmares, angry, bitter and deeply depressed, his wife convinces Zamperini to attend the 1949 Billy Graham crusade.

• Haha 2

They're not bringing back the original cast members, either...

Thematically, this sounds very unnecessary.

However, the angle they are taking where he goes to the 1949 Billy Graham crusade... people will want to see this as a memorial of Billy Graham, the very influential pastor speaker who passed away today. So in that sense, there may be a draw.

I'm not counting on it, but I always hold out hope that the next film Pure Flix puts out is the one that sees filmmakers choosing to put in more effort.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

UNBROKEN was missing the crucial third act that transformed Zamperini's life. There's a lot of room for a great movie there. 

yeah i agree the end of unbroken was off. there was stuff in the post script at the end that had me like "wait why wasn't that in the movie?" surely they could've replaced 30 of the 100 minutes of scenes of the japanese dude beating him up and then he gets up anyway and the japanese guy is all like FUCK.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 4

Seconding those saying Unbroken could have used this part of the story as a third act and it would have been a better film for it. OTOH, the fact that Jolie relegated it to the post script shows that maybe she wasn't the director to handle that sort of material. Still, Pure Flix doesn't inspire confidence, but, who knows, maybe they can make the next leap someday. Unbroken was a very popular book and maybe the people who wanted to see this part of it onscreen and aren't put off by the second-rate vibe might help this make a respectable total.

IMDb says Billy Graham is being played by his grandson.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Not a bad move given Venom is bound to have 3+ screens at midsize and larger theaters.

Not only that, but Bad Times at the El Royale and A Star is Born look like extremely appealing films. The three films combined definitely pose a threat.

I'm gonna be honest and share my perspective though; as a Christian, I'm disappointed in Pure Flix in regards to this move. The film was in a bold position, poised to make a statement that it was to be the cleaner, more wholesome answer to the other three Hollywood films, which all have some sort of secular flavor. Not only that, but this move follows the placement of God Bless The Broken Road, a film from Freestyle Releasing (distributor of the first God's Not Dead), on September 21st, just one week after this film's new date.

This move could have been made through a human fear of the loss of profit, and another innocent faith-based film may potentially get caught in the crossfire. The move, to me, is further proof that Pure Flix is out to make money rather than art. Therefore, their rude awakening, box office wise, is bound to continue. By aggressively making stereotypical faith-based films that look stale at first glance, they're missing the point of film-making that the people behind I Can Only Imagine understood very well -- that is to make an earnest film that speaks through the silence of visual storytelling rather than unnatural dialogue.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much. Maybe they only did this to separate the film from their other Autumn release, Indivisible, which, in my opinion, from my perspective, actually looks like it could be much better, both as a film and a faith-based film. But the observations that I previously pointed out are too peculiar and coincidental to ignore.

We'll see if this can even gross a substantial fraction of I Can Only Imagine's deserved total (a total which isn't even finished manifesting as of this writing).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someday I hope Christians wake up and see how many "Christian" businesses are taking them to the cleaners.

Elmer Gantry lives!

And I am sickened by all these compassionate Fundy leaders who have spent the last two weeks justifying Trump's seperataion of families. I remember one in particular telling us how the Bible commands us to obey govenrmewnt leaders because they are appointed of God..

Makes me happy to be a agnostic,frankly.

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Someday I hope Christians wake up and see how many "Christian" businesses are taking them to the cleaners.

Elmer Gantry lives!

And I am sickened by all these compassionate Fundy leaders who have spent the last two weeks justifying Trump's seperataion of families. I remember one in particular telling us how the Bible commands us to obey govenrmewnt leaders because they are appointed of God..

Makes me happy to be a agnostic,frankly.

I'll extremely quickly express my agreement; Trump should have stopped it sooner, and i'm happy he's stopping it now.

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

I'll extremely quickly express my agreement; Trump should have stopped it sooner, and i'm happy he's stopping it now.

Not the politics thread I know so everyone feel free to scan on by

/Rant

He started it and lied about how he was the one who started it and could end it- as per usual when there's blowback.  Sessions talked about  the admin starting it and why.  Kelly talked about the admin starting it and why.   His people and all those so-called Christians who backed it and made excuses for it - supported it.

There are consequences that can not be wiped away or remedied for those children and families.  The executive order still has a loophole to challenge the 20 days in custody clause.  There also aren't remedies in place to fix this mess because record keeping for these stolen children (yes stolen for the possible crime of committing a misdemeanor) and the remedies he proposes do away with Due Process and violate the Constitution.  But just another day in this administration of horrors .

/end rant

• Like 4