WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

2 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I think you will find that the biggest film of all time is in fact Disney/Pixar's CARS (2006), which grossed $462M in its theatrical run, $337M in domestic DVD sales, and then $10 billion in merchandise sales.

Oh god, I'd love to see what film actually generated the most revenue of all time when you include all revenue streams, has to be some kind of propaganda piece by a state surely? 

Although I’m confused on what we are arguing, Weighing in here, no matter how you slice it, SW and MCU are huge successes and will likely be the biggest franchises but Avatar and Titantic both racked up Oscars and made huge cash and will likely be in the top 2 for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Oh god, I'd love to see what film actually generated the most revenue of all time when you include all revenue streams, has to be some kind of propaganda piece by a state surely? 

The author of "How Star Wars Conquered The Universe" says Star Wars has sold around $42 billion. That was in 2015 before the new movies which have brought in $4.5B in box office alone.

Struggling to think of any other movie that could possibly have made more than $50B+ 

36 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

First of all seems a little unreasonable to use Titanic's gross at face value given that it was 20 years ago. Okay so its 2.2B unadjusted. The US figure is 1.2B adjusted, if that's 30% of the gross then the total would be 4B. And that's before china etc.

Also you're comparing 2 movies against a series that's 18 films in so far, and "by 2020" I'm assuming you are adding two SW films + 8 MCU films, in total that's 31 movies that you say will gross 25 billion. Versus two movies that make 5 billion. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Are you trying to tell us that Disney is making more films than James Cameron makes? Not really new information.

You act like 25 billion is slightly over 5 billion.

I simply joked that seeing who rallies against BP and Disney Star Wars while supporting Cameron/Snyder/Prequels works as a rorschach test.

Then it blew up 10 pages.

Just now, grey ghost said:

You act like 25 billion is slightly over 5 billion.

I simply joked that seeing who rallies against BP and Disney Star Wars while supporting Cameron/Snyder/Prequels works as a rorschach test.

Then it blew up 10 pages.

25 billion is much less than 5 billion when its 31 movies vs 2. I do not understand why you're comparing two original James Cameron films to decades-old franchises that have 4 movies every single year.

• Like 1

what are the chances JWFK does 2b ww. Would need something like 600 dom, 350 China, 1050b OS-China

lnbo1v4a7jfcnbx7kuz0.gif

EDIT: I am borderline embarrassed I posted these numbers

Edited by a2knet
MAKING IT MORE "REALISTIC" ;)

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

what are the chances JWFK does 2b ww. Would need something like 550 dom, 300 China, 1.150b OS-China

lnbo1v4a7jfcnbx7kuz0.gif

What are the chances that non-China overseas grows by 46%? Quite unlikely, I would say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

25 billion is much less than 5 billion when its 31 movies vs 2. I do not understand why you're comparing two original James Cameron films to decades-old franchises that have 4 movies every single year.

I just explained it started as a rorscach test joke.

Then it became a pissing contest.

Feel free to go back and see the exact moment things snowballed.

Edited by grey ghost

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

That 1.150b OS-china looks unrealistic

very much so.

jw did 790 os-china + 229 china.

1150 os-china would be an absurd 45% bump. i take it back :lol:

900 os-china at most i guess.

30 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I already said that Star Wars is bigger, 5 movies over 800M no other franchise comes close. 

But you keep talking about Marvel and how they're the biggest franchise. You keep repeating this bizarre claim that Black Panther is a bigger financial success than Avatar, which is just... I dont even know. Black Panther is a great hit in its own right, why do you need to delude yourself into thinking it's the biggest movie of all time?

I never said BP was bigger than Avatar by itself.

32 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe, maybe not. But the better joke is "critically acclaimed" Disney's SW and MCU movies winning 0 after 20+ attempts.

:hahaha:

Okay name a few 21st century action franchises with more critical acclaim.

I'll wait. :hahaha:

Only Mad Max Fury Road and that was a one time thing.