Eric Prime

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

Just now, ban1o said:

I thought for sure Love Simon would break out. The trailers were very appealing, it's PG-13 ad it had great reviews. Opening the same as Everything Everything is a bit surprising. Still hoping great word of mouth will help it at least reach 50-60 million 

It needs to drop less than 20-25% next week for 60M to happen. It won't have the screens come mid-April

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Deadline always says "secretly this movie cost this" when it disappoints or flops. They did it with A Wrinkle in Time and they are doing it with Tomb Raider. I don't know what to think about that because I almost never see them do that with out and out hit films. 

Could be true remember with The Mummy and Ghost in a Shell also, Forbes did it for the first Guardians and some other hit title but after learning something about them.

What the numbers they got for A Wrinkle in Time ? I imagine for breakout hit a 10-20m difference in budget does not matter and make it of little interest.

I think the subject matter of Love Simon still isn't mainstream enough to lead to a high gross. I'm sure in many locations this movie didn't play well at all. That's why I roll my eyes when people say being gay is super accepted now. It really isn't. Like even my parents are proof of this lol. They are fairly liberal and are fairly homophobic. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's kind of hilarious how little people seem to give a shit about Pacific Rim 2 despite the fact that the first Pacific Rim is one of the most overhyped films in recent memory

If you remove the director and remove the budget..... not much shit to be giving about robots fighting monster left. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ban1o said:

I think the subject matter of Love Simon still isn't mainstream enough to lead to a high gross. I'm sure in many locations this movie didn't play well at all. That's why I roll my eyes when people say being gay is super accepted now. It really isn't. Like even my parents are proof of this lol. They are fairly liberal and are fairly homophobic. 

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say when people kept predicting 100+ for it. It's really the first movie of its kind, it wasn't going to come out grossing tons of money. It took 50 years after segregation ended to have out first legitimate African American blockbuster. Thankfully it shouldn't take anywhere near that long since same sex marriage was legalized to have gay blockbusters, but it's still going to be a bit. Probably another decade I'd say. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What did you think about Grimlock having babies in TF5? :thinking: 

I'm pretty sure I just reacted w/the likes of "of course Michael Bay would do something like that" when I saw it. Which is about as good as Stanley Tucci's Merlin cracking jokes in the 1st 5 minutes of TF5hitty. Hell, at least that was so unbelievably corny it was actually unintentionally funny.

And the baby Dinos weren't even that adorable or badass tbh.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I see Uni has started the fudge train for Freed, ensuring it stayed on way more screens this weekend than Darker did despite a lower gross before yesterday and way more new releases than that had.  

They don't need to fudge it. The equivalent weekend for Darker saw BATB release. Basically a movie whose target demo included all of Darker's demo. So Darker sacrificed screens to a 175M opener. All 3 new releases this weekend probably won't match up to the screen count that BATB had last year.

• Like 3

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm pretty sure I just reacted w/the likes of "of course Michael Bay would do something like that" when I saw it. Which is about as good as Stanley Tucci's Merlin cracking jokes in the 1st 5 minutes of TF5hitty. Hell, at least that was so unbelievably corny it was actually unintentionally funny.

And the baby Grimlocks weren't even that adorable or badass tbh.

And they are immediately forgotten about after the first act.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They don't need to fudge it. The equivalent weekend for Darker saw BATB release. Basically a movie whose target demo included all of Darker's demo. So Darker sacrificed screens to a 175M opener. All 3 new releases this weekend probably won't match up to the screen count that BATB had last year.

Actually the 4 new wide releases are taking up about 10k screens this weekend vs around 5k for the BATB weekend last year with the 2 new wide releases. And again, Freed was making even less than Darker before Friday, there was no natural incentive for theaters to keep it on as many screens as they did this weekend all things considered. We have entered the chocolate factory. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It had great reviews and decent marketing and still won't hit 15 million. Not good, that's for sure.

That movie looks plain as hell. Some rich kid is struggling to come out to his uber-millennial buddies... that’s it.

I was really surprised when @WrathOfHan made his LS>TFIOS club because i could not tell you what on Earth was supposed to be the films hook in the trailers.

Just now, Rumpot said:

I think WiT will come 19-20M.  It will bear Tomb Raider on Saturday and Sunday

nah, the Saturday increase would need to be HUGE for that to happen and it wont be - Spring Break time deflates the Friday / Saturday numbers of family films in comparison to other weeks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could be true remember with The Mummy and Ghost in a Shell also, Forbes did it for the first Guardians and some other hit title but after learning something about them.

What the numbers they got for A Wrinkle in Time ? I imagine for breakout hit a 10-20m difference in budget does not matter and make it of little interest.

120mil is the number they had for A Wrinkle in Time. I'm not denying they could be true, heck, the numbers probably are true. But it's just a practice that irks me a little. I forgot to address it last weekend. How about releasing that info/rumor before the film flops is what I always think. I acknowledge that they could be right. I said last year that I absolutely believed that The Mummy's budget was being under reported to make it looks like less of a disappointment. I'm glad Forbes did it for hit films before because I don't recall Deadline every doing that.

• Like 1