Plain Old Tele

Upgrade | Blumhouse | June 1, 2018 | TV Series sequel in the works

• Community Manager
Just now, OdinSon2k14 said:

I have to schedule my vacations more wisely :D...there's nothing this week. I would normally bypass a movie like this, and Adrift, but they're the only thing around, unless I want to see IW, Deadpool 2, and Solo again. 

Why would you normally bypass a movie like this?

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

It's always nice whenever a more low-key original film like this comes out and surprises people with how good it is.  Should have a long shelf life on home video.

Having watched this yesterday, it is best viewed with a crowd. A solid genre exercise that hits the sweet spot at the right moments, and operating very efficiently on a lean budget. However, it is the prototypical ultra violent low budget exercise that thrives on the home video market these days. The type of high concept sci-fi that was big back during the summers of the mid to late 80s is now just a footnote release waiting to find an audience at home.

Edited by ThePhasmid

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, xmathmadness said:

here are the 8 movies by BH tilt

If Upgrade can get to 1,700 theaters and average $3,000, then it will be the studios #1 opener over The Darkness (2016)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?yr=&view=company&view2=allmovies&studio=bhtilt.htm&sort=open&order=DESC&p=.htm

Row Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open
1 4 Birth of the Dragon BH Tilt $6,901,965 1,633 $2,702,430 1,618 8/25/17
2 5 Lowriders BH Tilt $6,303,560 365 $2,403,885 295 5/12/17
3 7 Sleight BH Tilt $3,986,245 591 $1,701,785 565 4/28/17
4 2 The Belko Experiment BH Tilt $10,166,820 1,341 $4,137,230 1,341 3/17/17
5 8 The Resurrection of Gavin Stone BH Tilt $2,303,792 890 $1,206,771 890 1/20/17
6 6 Incarnate BH Tilt $4,799,774 1,737 $2,534,884 1,737 12/2/16
7 1 The Darkness BH Tilt $10,753,574 1,769 $4,950,859 1,755 5/13/16
8 3 The Green Inferno BH Tilt $7,192,291 1,543 $3,520,626 1,540 9/25/15

Looks like it wont be the number one opener of all time, but it should be the number one movie of all time assuming Hereditary does not murder its legs.

If this was released in the 80s alongside the movies that inspired it, such as “The Terminator” and “Robocop,” this would’ve blown audiences’ minds. Now, while it isn’t mind-blowing, it is a nostalgic action roller coaster thrill ride that harkens back to the films of the 80s. In a time like today where every summer release is a tent pole CG fest, “Upgrade” is a release that feels more refreshing than ever. This 5 million dollar budgeted feature has all the elements to be that bloated action flick but, thanks to Leigh Whannell’s experience in working in low-budget flicks, “Upgrade” thankfully looks as great in quality as your average blockbuster. All of the effects are practical and the action is brilliantly choreographed to make this layered action flick feel like an exhilarating awesome time.

If there was any movie to solidify my thoughts on the upcoming “Venom” film sucking, “Upgrade” is it. “Upgrade” features:

- Brilliant action sequences with outstanding choreography
- Gory violence
- An emotional narrative
- A Tom Hardy lookalike that I keep forgetting isn’t Tom Hardy

FULL REVIEW: https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//upgrade-review

• Like 1

Just saw it, not bad. I liked the futuristic world they created.

I was on to the twist from the start 😂. The couple visit the brilliant tech guy, and their high tech car is hacked as they're headed home. If anyone had the savvy to hack the cars computer, it was the lab tech guy. 

The computer chip was responsible for the entire crime, and the tech guy was just a servant, that I didn't catch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That's a shame. This one's right in your wheelhouse.

I don't get why they wouldn't release it here.

In light of the viral discussion of AI between Musk and Rogan, has anyone revisited this film? It's creeping towards my #1 of the year right now. A shame Leigh has officially stated it's a one and done deal. STEM is a very topical and real issue. A virulent monster created by 0s and 1s.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

In light of the viral discussion of AI between Musk and Rogan, has anyone revisited this film? It's creeping towards my #1 of the year right now. A shame Leigh has officially stated it's a one and done deal. STEM is a very topical and real issue. A virulent monster created by 0s and 1s.

I'm pretty sure that Jason Blum said he wants a sequel to Upgrade...

He said Happy Death Day 2 is now completed and he talked about a sequel to Upgrade.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix