Box Office Hit

The Turning | Universal | January 24, 2020

http://deadline.com/2018/05/tom-hanks-bios-universal-amblin-the-turning-a-dogs-journey-1202382835/

Universal has given release dates for three Amblin Partners pics: Dreamworks Pictures’ The Turning on Feb. 22 next year, Amblin’s A Dog’s Journey on Friday, May 17, 2019 and the Tom Hanks movie Bios on Friday, Oct. 2, 2020.

The Turning is a haunted house thriller inspired by the Henry James novella and follows a nanny who oversees two distributed orphans who are harboring dark secrets at an estate in Maine. Floria Sigismondi directs with Mackenzie Davis, Finn Wolfhard, Joely Richardson and newcomer Brooklyn Prince starring. The Conjuring‘s Chad & Carey Hayes wrote with Jade Bartlett, and Roy Lee and Scott Bernstein are producing. The Turning will open against IMGlobal/Paramount’s The Rhythm Section. 

Edited by Box Office Hit

21 hours ago, slambros said:

This is a horror project I can get behind. Hopefully the Stranger Things fans carry this towards a successful run; I'd love to see Finn Wolfhard continue to have a great career.

Depending on the trailer this might be another 100m+ horror grosser. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 8:44 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Ugh, BOM at it again. It's still on their calendar. I'm having to dig up threads like this one to get info on some of these releases I'm seeing. Same thing with the Jacob's Ladder remake, set for release on February 1.

I didn't realize Mackenzie Davis had the leading role until now; that's exciting. Brooklyn Prince also has a role in this; that's also exciting. That scares look... different. The film looks like it's taking a different approach to horror. I expect the part where Finn is banging the drums to be memed to death... But other than that, the film looks really interesting. I usually avoid horror, but I might have to make an exception, depending on reviews.

I hope this breaks out. A horror where the kids are the bad guys seems like an interesting, unique concept. Too bad it's January so most people's inclination will be "It's probably terrible"....which it probably is.

• Like 2