Box Office Hit

The Turning | Universal | January 24, 2020

On 1/21/2020 at 11:07 AM, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Those kids seems to have zero appeal outside of this series, MBB also didn't help Godzilla AT ALL, despite it being sold as her debut movie. 

There are no movie stars anymore, except relicts from past eras (Leo, Willy, The Rock, etc). there are only franchises/brands. Being in a Stranger Things brand =/= fans will follow you when you don't play a ST character. Look at RDJ and Dolittle. No Stark, no cigar. ST kids are no different. Wolfhard had a hit with IT cause IT is a brand. You could cast another boy as Richie and get the same result. he didn't hurt and maybe even the idea of him as (brand name character) Richie was appealing, much like the idea of Emma Watson as Belle, but he wasn't the main reason for the movie's success.

Edited by Valonqar

Starts with a 31 on Metacritic.

Let’s take a look at the last two months of wonderful wide releases:

12/6 - Playmobil: The Movie

Wanna see what The Lego Movie would be like stripped of anything good? Clearly not.

12/18 - Black Christmas

There hasn’t been a horror movie since October’s Countdown (also such a treat), so come treat yourself to whatever happened here.

12/20 - Cats

Do you like drugs? Have you ever wanted to experiment with drugs? You’ve come to the right place.

12/25-12/27

It’s Christmas, we’re not heartless, you can relax and go see Little Women with the family.

1/3 - The Grudge

Back to business! Making up for last week with this horror gem.

1/10 - Like a Boss

Uncut Gems was good so here’s what’s basically your normal Adam Sandler comedy, but we’ll cast three great actresses instead.

1/17 - Dolittle

I bet you miss Iron Man. That’s all we need.

1/24 - The Turning

Horror fans haven’t had enough crap recently, so here’s another one!

Next weekend should be fun. I’m taking the under for both Gretel & Hansel and The Rhythm Section at 50.

1 hour ago, snarkmachine said:

indiewire of all places gave this a glowing review lol. maybe it will appeal to arthouse types over normies 

Nah, arthouse types do not like modern settings for classic novels.

My advice is rent "The Innocents" instead. 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Nah, arthouse types do not like modern settings for classic novels.

My advice is rent "The Innocents" instead. 

I remember you mentioning the original work "The Turn of the Screw", but I don't recall if you said you actually read it. If you did, how did you like it?

Why the hell does this movie have music from Mitski, Empress of, Pale Waves, Soccer Mommy, and Alice Glass? I guess Alice Glass fits the tone of the movie but the rest really don't and now a chunk of my recommended on spotify is from this movie's soundtrack (because I listen to these artists).

Edit: The got MUNA and Courtney Love too. The person who chose the artists for this movie's soundtrack has some good taste. Also, surprisingly enough the Alice Glass song doesn't really fit here but the Mitski song does.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JB33 said:

I remember you mentioning the original work "The Turn of the Screw", but I don't recall if you said you actually read it. If you did, how did you like it?

I liked it, but it's not for everybody. I generally don't like Henry James.

His style will take lot of getting used to, if have not been exposed to much 19th century literature. James style is complex even by Victorian standards.

It's a lot like Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House" in it's as much psychological horror as anything.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So many users comparing it to The Devil Inside. That's crazy...

I read the ending and it's downright absurd. How could anybody approve that? 

I read the ending, and Henry James is turning over in his grave.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So many users comparing it to The Devil Inside. That's crazy...

I read the ending and it's downright absurd. How could anybody approve that? 

A number of critics are asking about the ending "Did they even read the novel?'.

And a LOT of remarks making comparasions to "THe Innocents"..and not to "The Turning" advantage.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:31 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Why the hell does this movie have music from Mitski, Empress of, Pale Waves, Soccer Mommy, and Alice Glass? I guess Alice Glass fits the tone of the movie but the rest really don't and now a chunk of my recommended on spotify is from this movie's soundtrack (because I listen to these artists).

Edit: The got MUNA and Courtney Love too. The person who chose the artists for this movie's soundtrack has some good taste. Also, surprisingly enough the Alice Glass song doesn't really fit here but the Mitski song does.

The director Floria Sigismondi started out in music videos (Marilyn Manson and Bjork, among others) and also directed The Runaways, guessing she's driven much of it.