The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Number 4

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Lucasfilms, Directed by Steven Spielberg (173 Points, 36 Votes)

9769566e3a972af92601c82bb17bfae4030f3b72

"Snakes... Why'd it have to be snakes?"

Number 1 Placements: 1 (Mine, dang it guys)

Top 5 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 14

Top 25 Placements: 17

Previous Rankings: 2016 (2, -2), 2014 (12, +8), 2013 (6, +2), 2012 (13, +7)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, Nominated for Best Pictures

Tomatometer: 94% (9.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 212.2m (707.5m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the U.S. government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.

Critic Opinion: ""Raiders of the Lost Ark" is an out-of-body experience, a movie of glorious imagination and breakneck speed that grabs you in the first shot, hurtles you through a series of incredible adventures, and deposits you back in reality two hours later -- breathless, dizzy, wrung-out, and with a silly grin on your face. This movie celebrates the stories we spent our adolescence searching for in the pulp adventure magazines, in the novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs, in comics -- even in the movies.

There used to be a magazine named Thrilling Wonder Stories, and every shot in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" looks like one of its covers. It's the kind of movie where the hero gets out of bed wondering what daring exploits and astonishing, cliff-hanging, death-defying threats he will have to survive in the next ten seconds.  It's actually more than a movie; it's a catalog of adventure. For locations, it ticks off the jungles of South America, the hinterlands of Tibet, the deserts of Egypt, a hidden submarine base, an isolated island, a forgotten tomb -- no, make that two forgotten tombs -- and an American archaeology classroom.  "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a swashbuckling adventure epic in the tradition of "Star Wars," "Superman," the James Bond pictures, and all the other multimillion-dollar special-effects extravaganzas. It wants only to entertain. It succeeds."  - Roger Ebert

User Opinions: "My cat is named after Indiana Jones. Love it. Both the movie and the cat." - @aabattery

"Raiders has more energy than three action films. And that is what makes it the classic that it is. If you like movies, then Raiders is a movie that will not let you down. It is pure entertainment and that is indisputable. It finds the youngster in all of us and bombards us with this silly, whip-cracking, average, incredibly determined archaeologist and only asks us to have fun. And that we do. And to me, the only reason that Chariots of Fire won best picture that year is because it is a serious film. Raiders was heads and shoulders above Chariots and it should have cleaned up at the Oscars in 81. But more politics with the academy.Raiders of the Lost Ark is the epitome of entertainment. What more can be said about it. If you haven't seen this movie in a while or if you haven't seen it at all ( gasp ) then do yourself a favour and find it and watch it."  - @baumer

"Raiders of the Lost Ark is a masterful popcorn film from Steven Spielberg. There's not a single flaw in this movie, and it's constantly thrilling. Indiana Jones is the ideal hero, and Harrison Ford plays him to perfection. Karen Allen as Marion is excellent too, and the two have great rapport. From the opening sequence to the truck chase, the action never ceases to be excellent, and the score by John Williams might be his best ever. There's not much to say about Raiders of the Lost Ark that hasn't already been said, but it's still the pinnacle of blockbuster filmmaking." - @Blankments

Commentary: My favorite movie of all time.  Raiders of the Lost Ark is the perfect movie.  Maybe there are many perfect movies, but this is THE perfect movie.  From the technical wizardry that Spielberg pulls off, from the full character than Harrison Ford encompasses, from Williams' brilliant score, from the exciting action sequences, there really isn't another movie I can think of that just screams MOVIE to me than this one.  I don't really have much more to say, except that it's just simply the perfect movie.  Raiders landed on 59% of the lists submitted, that's tied with two of the later films for second most of any film on the list.  

Decade Count: 90s (27), 10s (15), '00s (15), 80s (14), 70s (11), 60s (6), 50s (5), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (78), 80%-90% (15), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (5), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (5), 600m (2), 500m (5), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (26)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (5), Francis Ford Copolla (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), David Fincher (2), Peter Jackson (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), George Lucas (1), Sidney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (16), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), The Godfather (2), Middle Earth (2), Indiana Jones (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Nemo (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1)

Genre Count: Drama (39), Adventure (34), VFX Driven (33), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (25), Fantasy (25), Epic (23), Comedy (21), Action (21), Novel Adaption (20), Period Piece (20), Family/Children (17), Romance (16), Crime/Noir (15), Sequel (15), Animation (13), War (13), Horror (12), Tragedy (12), Indie (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (6), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (5), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

965d72cb4bcb03c20d36b68822c5c5a4.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

• Community Manager

The Human Centipede is going to be number one, right?

JK. 

That movie isn't horrifying and disturbing until you've found yourself sown to the back of a guy or girl's anus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, Auteur Panda said:

Number 4

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Lucasfilms, Directed by Steven Spielberg (173 Points, 36 Votes)

9769566e3a972af92601c82bb17bfae4030f3b72

"Snakes... Why'd it have to be snakes?"

Number 1 Placements: 1 (Mine, dang it guys)

Top 5 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 14

Top 25 Placements: 17

Previous Rankings: 2016 (2, -2), 2014 (12, +8), 2013 (6, +2), 2012 (13, +7)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, Nominated for Best Pictures

Tomatometer: 94% (9.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 212.2m (707.5m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones is hired by the U.S. government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.

Critic Opinion: ""Raiders of the Lost Ark" is an out-of-body experience, a movie of glorious imagination and breakneck speed that grabs you in the first shot, hurtles you through a series of incredible adventures, and deposits you back in reality two hours later -- breathless, dizzy, wrung-out, and with a silly grin on your face. This movie celebrates the stories we spent our adolescence searching for in the pulp adventure magazines, in the novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs, in comics -- even in the movies.

There used to be a magazine named Thrilling Wonder Stories, and every shot in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" looks like one of its covers. It's the kind of movie where the hero gets out of bed wondering what daring exploits and astonishing, cliff-hanging, death-defying threats he will have to survive in the next ten seconds.  It's actually more than a movie; it's a catalog of adventure. For locations, it ticks off the jungles of South America, the hinterlands of Tibet, the deserts of Egypt, a hidden submarine base, an isolated island, a forgotten tomb -- no, make that two forgotten tombs -- and an American archaeology classroom.  "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a swashbuckling adventure epic in the tradition of "Star Wars," "Superman," the James Bond pictures, and all the other multimillion-dollar special-effects extravaganzas. It wants only to entertain. It succeeds."  - Roger Ebert

User Opinions: "My cat is named after Indiana Jones. Love it. Both the movie and the cat." - @aabattery

"Raiders has more energy than three action films. And that is what makes it the classic that it is. If you like movies, then Raiders is a movie that will not let you down. It is pure entertainment and that is indisputable. It finds the youngster in all of us and bombards us with this silly, whip-cracking, average, incredibly determined archaeologist and only asks us to have fun. And that we do. And to me, the only reason that Chariots of Fire won best picture that year is because it is a serious film. Raiders was heads and shoulders above Chariots and it should have cleaned up at the Oscars in 81. But more politics with the academy.Raiders of the Lost Ark is the epitome of entertainment. What more can be said about it. If you haven't seen this movie in a while or if you haven't seen it at all ( gasp ) then do yourself a favour and find it and watch it."  - @baumer

"Raiders of the Lost Ark is a masterful popcorn film from Steven Spielberg. There's not a single flaw in this movie, and it's constantly thrilling. Indiana Jones is the ideal hero, and Harrison Ford plays him to perfection. Karen Allen as Marion is excellent too, and the two have great rapport. From the opening sequence to the truck chase, the action never ceases to be excellent, and the score by John Williams might be his best ever. There's not much to say about Raiders of the Lost Ark that hasn't already been said, but it's still the pinnacle of blockbuster filmmaking." - @Blankments

Commentary: My favorite movie of all time.  Raiders of the Lost Ark is the perfect movie.  Maybe there are many perfect movies, but this is THE perfect movie.  From the technical wizardry that Spielberg pulls off, from the full character than Harrison Ford encompasses, from Williams' brilliant score, from the exciting action sequences, there really isn't another movie I can think of that just screams MOVIE to me than this one.  I don't really have much more to say, except that it's just simply the perfect movie.  Raiders landed on 59% of the lists submitted, that's tied with two of the later films for second most of any film on the list.  

Decade Count: 90s (27), 10s (15), '00s (15), 80s (14), 70s (11), 60s (6), 50s (5), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (78), 80%-90% (15), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (5), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (5), 600m (2), 500m (5), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (26)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (5), Francis Ford Copolla (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), David Fincher (2), Peter Jackson (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), George Lucas (1), Sidney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (16), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), The Godfather (2), Middle Earth (2), Indiana Jones (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Nemo (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1)

Genre Count: Drama (39), Adventure (34), VFX Driven (33), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (25), Fantasy (25), Epic (23), Comedy (21), Action (21), Novel Adaption (20), Period Piece (20), Family/Children (17), Romance (16), Crime/Noir (15), Sequel (15), Animation (13), War (13), Horror (12), Tragedy (12), Indie (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (6), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (5), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

965d72cb4bcb03c20d36b68822c5c5a4.jpg

the upcoming remake with alden ehrenreich will be better

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

The Human Centipede is going to be number one, right?

JK. 

That movie isn't horrifying and disturbing until you've found yourself sown to the back of a guy or girl's anus.

You can't fully understand The Human Centipede until you've had someone shit in your mouth and then you shit in someone else's mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager
Just now, DAR said:

Unlike the bad dates Raiders gets better and better and better each time

dude stop eating bad dates they are going to make you sick buy some new dates and eat them before they expire this time

• Like 2

Just now, Rorschach said:

It's been quite a few years since I've seen Raiders. One of my favorite films I watched as a kid. I should probably binge the whole trilogy over the summer just to refresh my memory. 

Yes, watch the trilogy and only the trilogy because that's all there was. There were no other movies after Last Crusade. Ever. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrGamer said:

I saw Part 2 on the list. Unless the first one made the Top 10 and Panda hasn't updated it yet (I'm not digging through the rest of the thread looking for it).