ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

3 minutes ago, Ecks Ecks Are said:

Ragnarok increased OW 43% from poorly received TDW. IM3 increased 36% over poorly received IM2. Neither of these had the benefit of major ticket price inflation like this sequel will. 

And this won't have the massive increase in the MCU's fanbase that happened when either of those films rekeased, espescially IM2 to IM3. And Eternals was worse received than IM2 or Thor 2 and doesn't at the very minimum have a character people that they seem to want to see more of.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Why stop there, why not over $200m 😂 y’all are too much sometimes 😂😂😂

Well you see, the reason I said one number but not another number is that the first num makes sense but the 2nd is ridiculous.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Legion By Night
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lion Roar said:

This movie will likely be released between A5 and A6 and be marketed as essential watch for Secret Wars. Even if it doesn't do amazing numbers there's no way it bombs. 

Hmm, didn't think of that but it's certainly possible if the Celestials title is true. So in some respect, Eternals 2 could actually be a quasi-spinoff and not so much of a direct sequel. Intriguing. 

• Like 1

I mean, depending on how much they change stuff, what happens with the characters in in between properties, and avengers ties (plus whether the overall phase 5/6 can set the avengers duology up well or not) even like mid 100s could be on the cards. But -- I of course recognize that this is the worse received MCU film from the GA, and that will be a serious drag even with steps taken to separate and revitalize it. 

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I see that @Legion By Night and @Ecks Ecks Are are already getting carried away. 

Me: "Hey, the Eternals sequel/spinoff could actually increase its OW by 40-50% in 3-4 years time if it's well received."

You: "THIS IS MADNESS!! OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENTS BY A MARVEL LOONEY!! WHY, HE'S BASICALLY PREDICTING IT'LL BE BIGGER THAN ENDGAME!"

Edited by Ecks Ecks Are
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ecks Ecks Are said:

Me: "Hey, the Eternals sequel property could actually increase its OW by 20-40% in 3-4 years time if it's well received."

You: "THIS IS MADNESS!! OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENTS BY A MARVEL LOONEY!! WHY, HE'S BASICALLY PREDICTING IT'LL BE BIGGER THAN ENDGAME!"

Way to put words in my mouth. I’m just pointing out that you guys have a tendency to get carried away when it comes to Marvel movies. You predicted that MoM and L&T would claim the May and July records respectively, and iirc, you’re currently claiming that WF could see a $250 million OW. 

Maybe it will see a 20-40% increase, but you seem to be treating it as if it’s a sure thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ecks Ecks Are said:

This is the MCU, not a DC film. Don’t get yourself 5 warning points for trolling outside of your home.

Oh I’m not giving out warning points for this. If we’re going to spell the full tea, @grim22 upset that I’m not giving out warning points in the Warner Bros. threads because people are saying bad things about DC Films. So he was like what will happen if I go into the Eternals Thread and say something bad. And I say let him. Because Fanboy Wars are stupid, and we’re all adults here. We can actually have conversations About This, because it’s not 2016 anymore, and we’re all adults here.

The only thing that I ask is you do not personally attack any of your fellow posters. You can call the movie stupid all you want. You can say it’s not gonna make money all you want. But do not imply that someone is stupid or dumb ass because they disagree with you. Other than that have at it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Way to put words in my mouth. I’m just pointing out that you guys have a tendency to get carried away when it comes to Marvel movies. You predicted that MoM and L&T would claim the May and July records respectively, and iirc, you’re currently claiming that WF could see a $250 million OW. 

Maybe it will see a 20-40% increase, but you seem to be treating it as if it’s a sure thing. 

BW: slightly overpredicted (A-, PA)

SC: nailed it, in significant contrast to majority opinions at the time (A)

Eternals: moderately overpredicted (B)

NWH: slightly underpredicted (A+)

DS2: moderately overpredicted (B+)

L&T: moderate-severe overpredicted (B+)   

I’ve noticed recently that people seem to think I always overpredict mcu, but this is not really true? Just getting distracted by the fact that the most recent two (talk about a small sample size) had huge potential but squandered it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I also said Endgame would have higher previews than TFA and NWH would be bigger than The Avengers. Oh and what do you know, those were correct. I never said L&T would claim the July record, so you recall wrong. And yes I am claiming that WF could open over $250M because it can. Just like MOM would have claimed the May record with better WOM. 

If I say something can happen, it can. I know enough about the box office and the MCU to be confident in all of my extrapolations. You might be confusing the words "can", "could", and "possible" with "will" and "definitely". Reading what I write as it's written instead of interpreting what I said the way you want would be beneficial here. 

Edited by Ecks Ecks Are
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

Oh I’m not giving out warning points for this. If we’re going to spell the full tea, @grim22 upset that I’m not giving out warning points in the Warner Bros. threads because people are saying bad things about DC Films. So he was like what will happen if I go into the Eternals Thread and say something bad. And I say let him. Because Fanboy Wars are stupid, and we’re all adults here. We can actually have conversations About This, because it’s not 2016 anymore, and we’re all adults here.

The only thing that I ask is you do not personally attack any of your fellow posters. You can call the movie stupid all you want. You can say it’s not gonna make money all you want. But do not imply that someone is stupid or dumb ass because they disagree with you. Other than that have at it. 

If that's how things are going to be handled going forward then cool, but that's not how it has been handled previously. Also, my knock to Grim was more about his over-moderating things in the past (as you recall) but now that he's powerless....

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

BW: slightly overpredicted (A-, PA)

SC: nailed it, in significant contrast to majority opinions at the time (A)

Eternals: moderately overpredicted (B)

NWH: slightly underpredicted (A+)

DS2: moderately overpredicted (B+)

L&T: moderate-severe overpredicted (B+)   

I’ve noticed recently that people seem to think I always overpredict mcu, but this is not really true? Just getting distracted by the fact that the most recent two (talk about a small sample size) had huge potential but squandered it.

I wasn’t trying to attack you. It just seems like the success of NWH made you guys set your expectations too high for the rest of Phase Four. 

2 minutes ago, Ecks Ecks Are said:

If that's how things are going to be handled going forward then cool, but that's not how it has been handled previously. Also, my knock to Grim was more about his over-moderating things in the past (as you recall) but now that he's powerless....

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

Eric and I talked about it. The general consensus is that he’s just trying to bait us Into giving him warning points. And I’m not gonna play the game.

So I would consider this less a change of policy, and more a just ignore him because everyone else is acting like adults and being cool here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wasn’t trying to attack you. It just seems like the success of NWH made you guys set your expectations too high for the rest of Phase Four. 

I go off the full history of the mcu, not reacting to NWH specifically. It seems to me like the failure of DS2 and L&T has made most people set their expectations for phase 4&5 too low. Let’s see how the next few shake out :) 

Edited by Legion By Night

14 minutes ago, Cap said:

Well I mean, it's gonna be bad and bomb.

That's not trolling, it's just a fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Well I mean, it's gonna be bad and bomb.

That's not trolling, it's just a fact.

Trolling is the generous explanation for your recent nums in this thread  😛 

But I guess I shouldn’t go down that road further, probably better to just put you on ignore if this is how you wanna play things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyway, back on the topic of Eternals 2.

Yes, if it's as poorly received as the first then I can see it opening in the same range ($65-75M) but my expectation is that the sequel will be more bombastic and crowd pleasing. That doesn't even include the possibilities that it gets the Captain Marvel treatment (i.e being tied in between 2 Avengers films) OR the possibility that they cross it over with something else. Hell, Eternals 2 could be the film that X-Men are introduced in (Celestials, after all, are the comic book reason the X-Gene exists in the first place.)

So my way-too-early-and-we-don't-know-anything-yet prediction is a $90-110M OW and 2.3-2.5x legs. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some of you keep overestimating how bad Eternals reception will impact on a sequel 

Thor get a B+ cinemascore, the sequel is probably the most hated MCU movie by fans and still it grow up, and after 2 bad received movies in a roll, Ragnarok still blowed up lol 

Eternals 2 is probably coming in 2025, i bet even further. Nobody will even remember Eternals was that poorly received by then to hurt it's box office, especially if they ended up on the Avengers 5-6 movies and made a good impression. 

Of course they need to correct a lot of things, but expect a bomb years prior release is funny

Marvel has lost a lot of goodwill and dropped 3 of their least acclaimed films out of their last 4 releases. What would Eternals 2 even have going for it?