ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Good for him.  Seriously.

More people should not only take their mental health seriously, but be open enough to encourage others to do the same.

Some folks might find this funny, but I sure as hell don't.  Not everyone is wired the same way when it comes to public criticism.  Kudos to him for finding the courage to actually deal with problems rather than try to bury it/shrug it off/ignore it.

World would be a much better place if more folks followed his example here.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

It sounds funny at first glance, but I do see where he's coming from. All that work not coming together in the final movie must not be a pleasant sight. He was among the few performers I liked there, so I hope he finds bigger and better work in the years to come. He's a famous guy who's well-liked in the industry, so I'm sure he won't have much trouble.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

Since we’re apparently still talking about this movie, I guess I’d say that it’s interesting how far the general narrative around Marvel shifted since then. At the time, most everyone assumed this movie’s poor reception was a one-time fluke. An oddity. Marvel was still generally seen as a mostly invincible juggernaut, especially after NWH came out a mere month later.

I figured that the problem was that this was too different tonally and visually from what people were used to. That it’s more somber and quiet tone and less saturated color pallette made people uncomfortable. Since then though, Marvel has hit many more roadblocks, and even more “traditional” Marvel movies since then have been getting lukewarm, if not outright bad reception. We’ve had two MCU movies since then that have had B Cinemascores as well, the latest of which was The Marvels, which is an incredibly short movie that hits all those typical Marvel beats. 

What seemed like a fluke at the time turned out to be a warning sign that the superhero bubble was finally getting ready to burst. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Since we’re apparently still talking about this movie, I guess I’d say that it’s interesting how far the general narrative around Marvel shifted since then. At the time, most everyone assumed this movie’s poor reception was a one-time fluke. An oddity. Marvel was still generally seen as a mostly invincible juggernaut, especially after NWH came out a mere month later.

I figured that the problem was that this was too different tonally and visually from what people were used to. That it’s more somber and quiet tone and less saturated color pallette made people uncomfortable. Since then though, Marvel has hit many more roadblocks, and even more “traditional” Marvel movies since then have been getting lukewarm, if not outright bad reception. We’ve had two MCU movies since then that have had B Cinemascores as well, the latest of which was The Marvels, which is an incredibly short movie that hits all those typical Marvel beats. 

What seemed like a fluke at the time turned out to be a warning sign that the superhero bubble was finally getting ready to burst. 

I attribute that to the rest of their output that year being very well-liked. Yeah, Eternals and the Disney+ finales weren't all that, and Black Widow is also divisive, but Shang-Chi, the series outside of the aforementioned finales, and especially No Way Home got a lot of acclaim. Their troubles didn't truly begin until they got too uppity with Multiverse of Madness's marketing and promised a movie that it simply wasn't. The rest is history.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:37 AM, Porthos said:

Good for him.  Seriously.

More people should not only take their mental health seriously, but be open enough to encourage others to do the same.

Some folks might find this funny, but I sure as hell don't.  Not everyone is wired the same way when it comes to public criticism.  Kudos to him for finding the courage to actually deal with problems rather than try to bury it/shrug it off/ignore it.

World would be a much better place if more folks followed his example here.

Acting is like every other job; Taking it home with you every single night is usually very bad.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:53 AM, WittyUsername said:

I thougt the movie was ambitious, but did not live up to it ambitions. I also think it was overhyped. You had people here predicitng this would be the first CBM to win a BP Oscar.

And some people still can deal with this film being a failure.

As for the whole "we have 2o films left in this saga" if the films don't start making money and the Disney Plus shows get better ratings, the Saga will never be completed. Look at what happened over at DC.

Edited by dudalb

And I suspect Feige basic position at Disney has been weakened by how the MCU has performed lately. 

The old Hollywood saying "You are only as good as your last movie" still has a lot of truth in it.