CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thank you very much.  Nice of you to say.  Just remember that if I end up saying something mean to you in the future.  :)

LOL, all kidding, thanks for the kind words.

I will always love you not matter what baby, being a fan since so many years ago that nothing that you do to me will make me not love you.

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

Yeah, I was taken aback this week on MOJO watching their Animated OW breakdown on the daily. The shift in daily patterns since 2007 when Shrek 3 was released is quite noticeable. Course back then during the school year you could routinely count on family films to have 350-450% increases on Fridays and that doesn't happen anymore either.

Just a good reminder that following the box-office is not a static trend.

Fascinating.

Following and trying to predict the box office is also very humbling.  Just when you think you have some semblance of comprehension, everything gets turned upside down.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

That's a 60% drop.  Wow.  I know it had a huge Father's Day last weekend, but that still seems like a really big drop.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Its also good to see any film which isnt a massive tentpole to cross that 100M mark these days.

Definitely! I just singled out the cast because that’s what I enjoyed most about the film. The actual film was just easy-watching. 

Btw, I don’t think $80m in weekend 2 is bad for Incredibles. It had a lot of competition. I wonder how much higher Jurassic World would’ve went if it wasn’t for Incredibles 2, actually. 

I also don’t think Incredibles 2 is winning next weekend though, I’m sure I seen that being said quite a lot in that presales thread lol. 

• Like 5

Just now, baumer said:

Fascinating.

Following and trying to predict the box office is also very humbling.  Just when you think you have some semblance of comprehension, everything gets turned upside down.  

Truth!

We old timers have learned (and re-learned) a lot :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

This is MASSIVE, Solo will actually outgross The Empire Strikes Back's 209M initial run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

This is why in some cases adjusting for inflation matters :sparta:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, edmkh said:

I will always love you not matter what baby, being a fan since so many years ago that nothing that you do to me will make me not love you.

Were you at Mojo?  What was your user name back in the day?

I thought since it seemed to be pacing with Dory its first few days it might have the WOM to offset being a hyped up superhero movie. But clearly that wasn't the case.

Still think it should be able to leg its way to a mid-500s total, and maybe become Pixar's highest grossing film adjusted. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its also good to see any film which isnt a massive tentpole to cross that 100M mark these days.

Even if it's number 8 in the oceans franchise? Kind of tentpole if you ask me

Edited by IronJimbo

Just now, Krissykins said:

Jurassic World should comfortably be #1 again overseas then. 

It also opened in 9 additional international markets.  I's going to more than easily be number one this weekend overseas.

Deadpool 2 drop from it's predecessor in North America is reasonable. Nobody should be disappointed unless they had unrealistic expectations of it surpassing the first. 

Congrats on O8 passing 100mil. I love Anne Hathaway and always cheer on her success. 

Hereditary is doing well for what it is.  I hope people will stop paying so much attention to Cinemascore. 

Flop Solow passes 200mil. That would be something if it had a normal overseas run and made around 340-400mil. Still it's domestic total is massively down from Rogue One so even it isn't much of a victory.

I2 had a big drop due to comp but will recover. People will overreact about it though. 

Fallen Kingdom will obviously make a lot of money for the studio.  Here's hoping it hits 400mil. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Even if it's number 8 in the oceans franchise? Kind of tentpole if you ask me

It's number four in the franchise (not including the original Brat Pack).

• Like 1