Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Captain america 1 got an over 200m budget before Disney, Sony was giving over 300m budget to the Raimi/Amazing Spider Man 1-2 and over 200m in world release P&A,

If they would have had that kind of box office I think they would be getting big budget and big marketing, the only think almost certain is the post theatrical windows would not be handled as well to the park attraction, the rest good luck creating a what if simulation for such a chaotic world.

Disney purchased Marvel Studios in 2009 - it's only that they didn't start distributing until 2012 with Avengers  which was massively bigger than anything Paramount distributed.  After the purchase Paramount also kind of crapped out on the distribution and marketing end for the MCU.   They failed to expand IM2 O/S with growing markets and in particular they undersold Cap O/S and even undercut it domestically but not giving it full IMAX  for it's opening w/e but making it spit with their own financed Transformers several weeks out.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, kswiston said:

I don't think that it's an accident that MCU international grosses went through the roof as soon as Disney took over.

There was a general international market growth also happening for pretty much everyone around that time, Days of Future Past also more than doubled any previous X-Men. Many franchise jumped, many even doubled their international box office in the international box office boom (and I imagine for some helped by 3d) in the around 2005-2010 release versus the 2012-2014 type release.

Batman

2005: 167

2008: 469 

2012: 636 (despite a much weaker movie)

X-Men

2006: 225

2009: 193

2011: 207.2

2014: 513.9

Bond

2006: $431.6M

2008: $417,7M

2012: $804M

Transformer:

2007: 390.5m

2009: 434.2m

2011: 771.4M

Pirate:

2003: 349

2006: 642

2007: 654

2011: 803

Would Sony have loss the right to an other studio we could have thought that the 100% jump for Skyfall was no accident as soon as Warner/Disney/Fox took over. Same for Transformer

Intl box office going from 18.1b in 2008 to 23.9b in 2012 a 32% jump is a big factor in itself.

The first Disney distributed movie being the game changer Avengers (if I am not wrong) inside a moment from which many franchise were exploding their world box office make it really hard to isolate Disney great marketing from the other factor.

Avengers 41/59 dbo/intl ratio was not better than Thor for example, the movie was also just much more appealing to audience like it showed on the domestic BO, it would have almost certainly exploded intl like Bond/Transformer/X-men/pirate did around the same time, by how much no one can say.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Disney purchased Marvel Studios in 2009 - it's only that they didn't start distributing until 2012 with Avengers  which was massively bigger than anything Paramount distributed.  After the purchase Paramount alos kind of crapped out on the distribution and marketing end for the MCU.   They failed to expand IM2 O/S with growing markets and in particular they  undersold Cap O/S and even undercut it domestically but not giving it full IMAX  for it's opening w/e but making it spit with their own financed Transformers several weeks out.

The non Disney buyer would have done pretty much the same no ? Iron Man got what a 200m budget at the time ?

And in a non-disney world Paramount do nothing of such and treat it in a very different way, Paramount made Transformer world BO explode with a much inferior product in the same time frame, who knows what they would have done if Viacom have been the buyer.

1 minute ago, L Silverman said:

Okay, so what's up with Wrinkle in Time's 750K Friday?  Shady reporting by Disney?  Or just an error.  Because no way did WiT make 750K when it only make 30K the previous Friday.

DHS-vanilla.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, L Silverman said:

Okay, so what's up with Wrinkle in Time's 750K Friday?  Shady reporting by Disney?  Or just an error.  Because no way did WiT make 750K when it only make 30K the previous Friday.

I2 double features

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

The non Disney buyer would have done pretty much the same no ? Iron Man got what a 200m budget at the time ?

And in a non-disney world Paramount do nothing of such and treat it in a very different way, Paramount made Transformer world BO explode with a much inferior product in the same time frame, who knows what they would have done if Viacom have been the buyer.

IM's budget was $140m net -  it's not as if the budgets are actually financed with the gross budget in mind as the end budget.  Feige also had to to pre-sell it in O/S markets to get it financed and then distributed by Paramount.   Marvel Studios not Paramount did most of the heavy lifting.

Transformers has big Giant robots, like Dinosaurs they almost sell themselves until the product is so continuously inferior it collapses. 

Yes a studio gives preference to it's own product it's the main reason why Disney dropped that Dreamworlds deal with Speilberg but nothing Paramount did with the MCU indictes the MCU would have been better off or even just slightly less well off under them than Disney.  And if they stayed Independent Feige would probably have left to get out from under Permutter.

• Like 2

This will be the 4th weekend over a two month span Disney has pulled some fudguckery for WiT. It is the great fudge of our time, the fudge to end all fudges, the looks like fudge is back on the menu, the Fudge Judy. Get it before it hardens.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, L Silverman said:

Wow, really.  That's sure a dishonest way to get Wrinkle past $100m.

No it's not.  Double features at drive ins are a regualar thing.  DP2 is currently paired with Hereditary and Oceans 8.   It's just very noticeable with every big movie because the enormous size of the PTAs  has a greater effect on movies with smaller grosses and screen counts that have been out longer.   BP had double features with AIW which is why it dropped only 4% that w/e

Edited by TalismanRing

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

This will be the 4th weekend over a two month span Disney has pulled some fudguckery for WiT. It is the great fudge of our time, the fudge to end all fudges, the looks like fudge is back on the menu, the Fudge Judy. Get it before it hardens.

Honestly, they need to put an asterisk by whatever domestic total WiT needs up with.  It's unbelievable all the tricks Disney pulled with this film.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I think the question is what will be the next non-documentary Disney release that doesn't make over $100M. I guess there's The One & Only Ivan (CGI/live-action combo with Bryan Cranston and the voices of Sam Rockwell, Angelina Jolie, Brooklynn Prince, Helen Mirren, and Danny DeVito which will likely get a late '19 release) but we'll need to see how it looks first. And I suppose Maleficent 2 (most likely Memorial Day 2020) stands a chance at getting completely rejected ala Alice 2.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, could see it for Maleficent 2. Nutcracker and Artemis Fowl are far from sure things though. 

You better stop with the Maleficent negativity.

Dont need to be putting such negative energy into the universe.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No it's not.  Double features at drive ins are a regualar thing.  DP2 is currently paired with Hereditary and Oceans 8.   It's just very noticeable with every big movie because the enormous size of the PTAs  has a greater effect on movies with smaller grosses and screen counts that have been out longer.   BP had double features with AIW which is why it dropped only 4% that w/e

But pairing I2 with a three-month old movie that's already out on Blu ray?  On top of the 1700+ theater expansion gimmick that Disney played last month.  No way, I call foul.

A Wrinkle in Time - 750k estimate
22 26 A Wrinkle in Time Buena Vista 245 +88 +56.1% - - - - 15

Friday has a + $720,360 gain from last Friday's $29,640

If it gained all that from the 88 expanding theaters, the PTA = $8,186 or around 900 purchases per drive in at avg. ticket price.

Then the rest would be the remaining 157 theaters and make the same $29,640 it made last Friday.

Last weekend was $101,661.  Assume it does the same with the same 157 theaters, and the +88 discount drive ins do 0.72 + 0.78 + 0.50 = 2.0 + 0.1 = 2.1

Edited by mathemetrics
  • Like 1

Does anyone else also feel that MCU Netflix shows have shit the bed lately. I loved the first 2 seasons of Daredevil and 1st season of Jessica Jones but after that it's been all downhill. Luke Cage was great for 5-6 episodes till Cottenmouth but after that nothing much in it really. Iron Fist was a dumpster fire, the actor playing him acts so smug and childish, it really is hilarious how wrong they went with this casting. Defenders was good in patches but some of the other parts were awful and most of them again involved either Iron fist or lacked good story in general. Punisher and JJ season 2 were just there I guess, I saw them and that was it, good in some parts, bad in other parts.

Having said all of this, I hope Daredevil S03 is good/great, I can't wait for it, one of my favorite comic storyline in Birth Again, my anticipation is through the roof. 

I don't have any hope from Luke Cage season 2. Didn't like the trailer at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, L Silverman said:

But pairing I2 with a three-month old movie that's already out on Blu ray?  On top of the 1700+ theater expansion gimmick that Disney played last month.  No way, I call foul.

Then you'd be wrong. It happens ALL THE TIME.  It's not fudging. 

This isn't even comparable to what Sony did with Passengers & SPECTRE

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Captain america 1 got an over 200m budget before Disney, Sony was giving over 300m budget to the Raimi/Amazing Spider Man 1-2 and over 200m in world release P&A,

If they would have had that kind of box office I think they would be getting big budget and big marketing, the only think almost certain is the post theatrical windows would not be handled as well to the park attraction, the rest good luck creating a what if simulation for such a chaotic world.

I am confused why you keep using gross production budgets, when it is pretty obvious that tax incentives/breaks are pre-factored into film budgets. 

Also, Avengers kicked off a general growth of the superhero genre internationally. Especially in China. There's a pretty clear line of before and after The Avengers for all superhero films. Especially in China.