Man, I am so sorry for you Tron fans lol

Just an absolutely enormous downgrade from the Lion guy
edit: and obviously an even bigger downgrade from kosinski lol

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'm honestly confused why Disney didn't try to court Kosinski to come back. I understand Legacy wasn't that popular, but it still made coin and has seen a resurgence of nostalgic popularity, and he's fresh off the biggest hit imaginable. Just add in one or two big names to play opposite Hedlund/Wilde (NOT LETO), put "From the director of Top Gun: Maverick" in the posters and then call it a day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eric is Missing said:

I'm honestly confused why Disney didn't try to court Kosinski to come back. I understand Legacy wasn't that popular, but it still made coin and has seen a resurgence of nostalgic popularity, and he's fresh off the biggest hit imaginable. Just add in one or two big names to play opposite Hedlund/Wilde (NOT LETO), put "From the director of Top Gun: Maverick" in the posters and then call it a day.

Personal baggage aside, Leto's not as big of a red flag as this film-maker. Getting the maleficent 2 guy pretty much guarantees a 19% fresh lol

Also a part of me feels like Kosinski would rather be in the cruiser business than the disney business, especially since legacy is by far his weakest film critically

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

They haven't announced who's gonna be in charge of the score, but I'm sure that's gonna be a downgrade too

21 minutes ago, Eric is Missing said:

You are asking for common sense from Disney, it's too much.

25 minutes ago, TMP said:

Also a part of me feels like Kosinski would rather be in the cruiser business than the disney business, especially since legacy is by far his weakest film critically

I understand that Spiderhead was conveniently forgotten as soon as it was released and it's Netflix production, but technically it's his worst movie, both critically and audience-wise.

Edited by Firepower

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Could this be the untitled Disney film slated for July 5th, 2024? This can't be for December 2024 since AVATAR III is there unless it moves again.

Lion King 2 is set for July 5, 2024. Most likely if this is going into production in August that it's for 2025.

Between Leto and the director choice being the guy responsible for some lame and quickly forgotten Disney sequels, we probably shouldn't bank on this being a quality movie.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lion King 2 is set for July 5, 2024. Most likely if this is going into production in August that it's for 2025.

Between Leto and the director choice being the guy responsible for some lame and quickly forgotten Disney sequels, we probably shouldn't bank on this being a quality movie.

Goodness. BOM hasn't updated that. 🙃 That's really a bummer, but I'm hoping for the best. Maybe this is for Thanksgiving 2025?

PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN

LITERALLY THE WORST CASE SCENARIO POSSIBLE FOR THIS FILM

Why they aren’t canning it and waiting for Kosinski’s availability is beyond me. He pitched them a sequel a few years back and got rejected but that was pre Top Gun. 

Each Tron film was kinda revolutionary. Tech wise and in the case of Legacy…being the blueprint for every legacy sequel going forward (despite bombing). 

I do not expect such massive leaps or innovation from modern Disney. I think it’ll basically just be a marvel movie with neon lights (and bad visuals).

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN

LITERALLY THE WORST CASE SCENARIO POSSIBLE FOR THIS FILM

Why they aren’t canning it and waiting for Kosinski’s availability is beyond me. He pitched them a sequel a few years back and got rejected but that was pre Top Gun. 

Each Tron film was kinda revolutionary. Tech wise and in the case of Legacy…being the blueprint for every legacy sequel going forward (despite bombing). 

I do not expect such massive leaps or innovation from modern Disney. I think it’ll basically just be a marvel movie with neon lights (and bad visuals).

Legacy did not bomb. It was one of the few recent Disney sci fi films that actually did pretty good at the box office. 

I'm surprised Disney is choosing this director....

Legacy didn't bomb but Disney likely saw it as a semi-disappointment considering it was filling the 3D spectacle void for the first Christmas movie season post-Avatar and the fact they poured an insane amount of money into marketing it (on top of a movie budget of $170M). They re-themed the monorails at Disney World to the movie that entire year leading up to its release, for instance. It was probably a Mad Max: Fury Road type of situation where on paper it did well but in reality lost money because it cost so much overall (hence why they've had a tough time getting the IP going again on the big screen ever since).

First Image: Disney Monorail Train Features Tron Art | Disney Parks Blog