AndyK

Rub & Tug | Now a TV Series. ScarJo found dead in a ditch! | Trans Rights are Human Rights

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

For that era, Larwrence of Arabia was actually pretty authentic. I mean only one white-washed role in a cast with many POC is not bad for the 60s (lol and better than Exodus or Gods of Egypt from the 2000s). Although they tried to whitewash Omar Sharif's role except the French dude couldn't tolerate colored contact lenses.

Anthony Quinn played his role so well you think he was an arab lol 

2 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

I still don't think a lot of you get the issue. Trans (and minority) actors don't get a lot of roles in general. When roles FINALLY come along that they could conceivably play, they get passed over still. If Trans (and minority) actors got parts all the time, and Hollywood wasn't just filled with white, straight, males and females, then there would be equality. But right now, there is not. It's not equal, so we need to make sure roles like this are cast accordingly.

Yes, if you seperate the T from LGBT, other wise I would say that LGBT are over-represented in film and TV.

I have no figures for that, its just a perception.

19 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Anthony Quinn played his role so well you think he was an arab lol 

He was definitely one of those racially interchangeable actors of color of his time, which nowadays would still be a problem. At least he wasn't a white British guy lol

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Yes, if you seperate the T from LGBT, other wise I would say that LGBT are over-represented in film and TV.

You seem to be right for primetime broadcast television I think (the B is probably underrepresented the most there).

Not sure how solid the stats are but LGBT would be around 4.5% of the population according to this:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/234863/estimate-lgbt-population-rises.aspx

https://glaad.org/files/WWAT/WWAT_GLAAD_2017-2018.pdf

Of the 901 regular characters expected to appear on broadcast scripted primetime programming this season, 58 (6.4%) were identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer.

42% over representation in broadcast scripted primetime tv.

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You seem to be right for primetime broadcast television I think.

Not sure how solid the stats are but LGBT would be around 4.5% of the population according to this:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/234863/estimate-lgbt-population-rises.aspx

https://glaad.org/files/WWAT/WWAT_GLAAD_2017-2018.pdf

Of the 901 regular characters expected to appear on broadcast scripted primetime programming this season, 58 (6.4%) were identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer.

42% over representation in broadcast scripted primetime tv.

In the UK the ONS is the official and trusted source, results come the national census.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/sexuality/bulletins/sexualidentityuk/2016

Official figure is 2% in 2016

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

lol what? How many movies does Hollywood produce each year that have LGB characters in major roles at all? Especially when last year showed such dismal numbers in terms of representation.

What a flop post.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

lol what? How many movies does Hollywood produce each year that have LGB characters in major roles at all? Especially when last year showed such dismal numbers in terms of representation.

What a flop post.

We're talking about the proportion of LGBT actors.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What a flop post.

The in major film is probably false, but for TV it does seem to be possible according to the last GLAAD representation report.

For film, 2017 was a decrease, 2016 was maybe the best year:

Of the 125 film releases GLAAD counted from the major studios in 2016, 23 (18.4%) contained characters identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer. This is an increase of nearly one percentage point from the 17.5% of films (22 of 126) found to be inclusive in 2015.

I think it move faster and more easily on TV than on movies. 40% of regular characther on scripted broadcast TV are non-whites now for example.

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

He was definitely one of those racially interchangeable actors of color of his time, which nowadays would still be a problem. At least he wasn't a white British guy lol

I think that is what many miss here, Anthony Quinn played the role of an Arab warlord so well you had no idea or cared it was Mexican guy who played him,

I do not think you have to ALWAYS get a person of the exact race or sexuality for a person to play that role accurately.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think that is what many miss here, Anthony Quinn played the role of an Arab warlord so well you had no idea or cared it was Mexican guy who played him,

I do not think you have to ALWAYS get a person of the exact race or sexuality for a person to play that role accurately.

The quality of the portrayal isn't the issue. I'm sure DDL could play just about any role. But SHOULD HE?

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

The quality of the portrayal isn't the issue. I'm sure DDL could play just about any role. But SHOULD HE?

Um why not to a reason.

If DDL played a mexican drug lord, is that really wrong lol? 

This is an area where I can definitely actually make a knowledgeable comment.  I'm a trans guy and I'm in a community of a lot of trans folks.  There was a comment earlier that it's actually less of an issue for the trans community when you have a cis guy playing a trans guy or a cis woman playing a trans woman.  I can verify that this is true.  The trouble with casting a woman to play a trans man is that a trans man is A MAN.  It's very insulting to say that you need to cast a woman for the role, especially when most trans guys are really hard to tell from cis guys, especially given how many now transition in their teens.  People get so hung up over changing the gender of a male character to be a female (Iron Man can't be a woman, etc) except when it comes to transgender casting.

I mean ideally you'd want a trans character played by a trans person, but if you're going to make the actor cis, at least make sure they're the right goddamn gender for the role.

Also plenty of trans actors and actresses exist, they just never get roles.  And you can bet your ass they don't get roles playing cis characters, which is the one thing I find really annoying about the comparison of straight actors playing gay characters, since frequently gay actors do get to play straight characters, so there is at least a little bit of give and take in that area in a way that there definitely is not with trans actors.

Also, for those complaining about people wanting to see a specifically trans role treated with respect as though it's just a "social justice warrior' issue... It's NOT.  These aren't just outraged people with no knowledge of the community on the internet.  We see that shit too and we get the 'shut up and accept complete lack of representation' shoved in our faces all the fucking time.  Gods forbid that maybe the straight cis audience have to acknowledge we exist every once in a while.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2