AndyK

Rub & Tug | Now a TV Series. ScarJo found dead in a ditch! | Trans Rights are Human Rights

On 7/6/2018 at 11:41 PM, That One Guy said:

I mean with Ghost in the Shell you can (sorta kinda) get away with it from the excuse that she's a cyborg and cyborgs don't have a predefined race.  It's still whitewashing since it's taking an existing character from a source material and changing the race, but if it were an original film then it'd at least make some sort of sense as to why she was cast.

With this?  She's playing a REAL LIFE PERSON.  It's not even like it's a drama that was partially inspired by events that happened in real life, it's a fucking biopic.  She's cis and is playing someone who's trans when there's plenty of trans actors/actresses out there who are struggling for work.  And on top of this, she doesn't even look anything like the person it's based on.  What a mess.

you nailed it.

ScarJo isn't a problem. SYSTEM is a problem. Cisgender actors/actreses have chance play cis- and transgender person. Transgender actor/actress has 0 chanse (or almost zero) to have the same opportunity (plays someone who is no transegender).

p.s. BUT! I don't like this situation, cause all this SJW should fight with Big Guys, not with ScarJo. And again, as result, project is closed, SYSTEM doesn't change.

All this feminists, LGBT activists, etc. have good intentions but fucking low efficiency. T-shirts with pathos slogans, twitter-wars, and other media bullshit makes almost nothing. 

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mulder said:

How is it bollocks? You said let actors act. So let’s have Abraham Lincoln played by ScarJo if she can have any role she wants. 

It's bollocks because movies are supposed to be directors visions, not internet trolls visions.

If we are going down this path, then Rian Johnson should apologise for The last Jedi.

You know Abe Lincoln wasn't really a vampire hunter, right?

Edited by AndyK

Scarjo was, is, and continues being trash, and I am 100 % sure that this has nothing to do with her non-existent ethics. Marvel "advised" her to drop the role. After two high-profile flop films (Rough Night, Ghost in the Shell), Scarjo was not exactly a hot commodity, and MCU brand loyalty or not, the last thing Marvel need is continued bad buzz and badwill over Scarlett's callousness.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AndyK said:

I understand why she did it, but its a step backwards IMO.

Actors should be allowed to act, directors should be allowed to direct.......

Well, when you anger and turn off the crowd that would be interested in seeing a film like this, you're not really doing much better.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 1:27 PM, AndyK said:

I guess there are actors with motor neuron disease.... and then theres Eddie Redmain.

Armie Hammer in "Call me by your Name" playing a gay character.

Actors like to take on challenges, why should they not be allowed to do whatever takes their fancy?

In this case, ther was no role without Scarjo, therefore she was not "replacing" anybody.

To be fair, The Theory or Everything is showing the progression of the disease, so you needed an actor who could start out being able to walk and move and such.

As for the controversy itself.  I’m mixed on if you actually have to have a gay person play a gay person.  There’s plenty of gay actors who play straights.  Sexual orientation shows a person’s preference, which you can act a preference (meanwhile, you can’t act a black, or asian.  You either are or you aren’t)

Transgender is then somewhere in the middle.  There’s examples of actors playing a different gender, usually it’s for an attempt at comedic effect, and in most cases ive found it to fall flat.  Transgender is hard, especially when you’re attempting to show the transition.  I’d reckon it’d be preferable to cast a transgender in a transgender role, but I don’t think it’s as crucial as (for example) casting someone who’s Black as T’Challa in Black Panther.

But at the same point, transgender actors are underrepresented when compared to other LGBT actors.  And I think directors should try harder to cast transgender roles with transgender actors (just like male and female parts are almost always primarily played by the actual gender).

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mulder said:

Alright for the George Washington biopic we'll ask her to audition and if that doesn't work out we'll see if Oprah's interested. 

There is a difference between a very famous figure for audience vs a relative total unknown, because if you compare how different the Rub&Tug real life person with Johansson your example would not be far fetch otherwise.

Stuff like you describe does happen in theater, for example they hired a black actress to play Joan of Arc (or Hermione in Harry Potter) : 

http://broadwayblack.com/first-look-condola-rashad-joan-of-arc-racist-upset/

SaintJoan0095r.jpg?itok=SrvFNEGM&w=700&q

Theater has a long history of very inexact casting (a bit like rest of the world in movies that does not have Hollywood budget).

Just to be sure if a director wanted to do a movie in which George Washington was played by Oprah would you be closed to it and asking online for it to not happen ? Would make me curious imo (but I am not american, so does not count, impossible for me to shocked by founding father representation in a movie)

7 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

p.s. BUT! I don't like this situation, cause all this SJW should fight with Big Guys, not with ScarJo. And again, as result, project is closed, SYSTEM doesn't change.

They could also try to make a Rub&Tug movie and cast a male-trans actor into the role and financing it with crowd sourcing, and they do not need to make it with that script if they cannot buy it.

It is not the 40-50s anymore, you do not need studio's to make a movie, why not make the movie they want to see and help put a trans actor on the map, like they wish someone else do ? They seem to be a big number of people wanting this to happen, even some in the industry did spoke and would know how to get a project going.

Maybe some first step could be accelerated like that, investor want a proof a concept, a comparable that worked well to be reassured.

How many people here are forgetting that she was one of the producers on the project?

Gary Spinelli wrote the script and the movie will be produced by Joel Silver, Tobey Maguire, Johansson, Matthew Plouffe, Spinelli, and Jonathan Lia. 

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/scarlett-johansson-rupert-sanders-rub-and-tug-1202863372/

"Fight the big guys," How is "We're not seeing your movie unless you cast it appropriately" NOT doing that? 

13 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Uh, it definitely is wrong under ACTUAL circumstances where instances of the other way around (trans actors being given opportunities to play cis characters) are near non-existent. And especially non-existent in major awards circuit films or blockbusters.

That's not what I was talking about, when I said "inherently wrong" I meant the question of whether it's now possible (or considered possible) for a cis actor to authentically convey the trans experience, or if that's basically a closed door now. (Or would people have been cool with Johansson taking on this role if there hadn't been such a problem with trans actors being given opportunities?) But that's more of an abstract issue, which is why I made sure to note that the need for representation is clear, and it's fair that it should override other concerns right now. 

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

There is a difference between a very famous figure for audience vs a relative total unknown, because if you compare how different the Rub&Tug real life person with Johansson your example would not be far fetch otherwise.

Stuff like you describe does happen in theater, for example they hired a black actress to play Joan of Arc (or Hermione in Harry Potter) : 

http://broadwayblack.com/first-look-condola-rashad-joan-of-arc-racist-upset/

SaintJoan0095r.jpg?itok=SrvFNEGM&w=700&q

Theater has a long history of very inexact casting (a bit like rest of the world in movies that does not have Hollywood budget).

Just to be sure if a director wanted to do a movie in which George Washington was played by Oprah would you be closed to it and asking online for it to not happen ? Would make me curious imo (but I am not american, so does not count, impossible for me to shocked by founding father representation in a movie)

I personally wouldn't be for it if it was trying to be an actual historical biopic and not trying to do some kind of commentary.

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

You're aware that Pose (a show with mostly trans actors and actresses) is critically-acclaimed and successful enough that FX has renewed it for a second season, right? If you're looking for a step in the right direction...

FX is a prestige network, Pose got renewed because of its critical acclaim and Ryan Murphy clout. It bombed with ratings, just like Versace bombed and got massive nominations.

Not because there's a lot of people watching, but there seems to be a lot of people complaining for the sake of doing it

"If I said transgender roles should only be played by transgender actors, I would be implying that Daniela Vega shouldn’t play a cisgender role. And I believe she has every right to play a man or a woman,"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fantastic-woman-director-weighs-scarlett-johansson-transgender-casting-controversy-1125245

This is damaging and all these people complaining don't actually care about the well-being of the trans community, they just need a reason to complain so they can join the outrage bandwagon. 

Edited by expensiveho

30 minutes ago, Mulder said:

People can have differing views on a situation who knew

More like conspiracy with the theory that she only exited because of Marvel/Feige.

That's almost Grace Randolph's levels.

There was really no way she wasn't gonna pull out of the project following the controversy (not that we're missing out on much - look who the director was gonna be), but it's still impressive that we live in an age where social media is capable of stopping a film from being made. Feels not too long ago when we had Exodus, Aloha, and other movies, at the center of casting controversy and the films simply flopped and faded into movie oblivion.

28 minutes ago, Durden said:

More like conspiracy with the theory that she only exited because of Marvel/Feige.

That's almost Grace Randolph's levels.

I mean it's possible but I don't personally subscribe to that.

Under the Skin was a good small project that she did.  

NSFW

Spoiler

I don't know how many movies they have where they show the penis erect and pushing to ejaculation.  I think Scary Movie might have set the record for showing the first erection, but that might be something I heard from the news and there are soo many movies.  

Edited by 5xmatrixdu