WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I honestly don't think that WW had the level of importance that BP had, not to mention the level of success. 

Financial success is only part of the equation and pop culture phenoms are not made equally. 

In 1991,  bothTerminator 2 and Thelma & Louise became cultural phenomenons [for different reasons]; the former grossed over 200 million dollars, while the latter only grossed 45 million dollars. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I loved Edge of Tomorrow but this take is a no.

I liked Mad Max and my take regarding EOT is yes. EOT>MMFR

EOT will stand the test of time unlike many Oscar nominated pics

Edited by Alli

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Melissa McCarthy got nominated for Bridesmaids earlier this decade with a similar "breakout comedy star of the year" narrative but that movie was also much closer to a Best Picture nomination in 2011 than Girls Trip was last year (it got an Original Screenplay nom and was recognized by a bunch of other awards). Had the film been a stronger contender in other categories, I'm sure she would've made it in.

Lol at you picking one performance almost ten years ago to justify that comedy has been included. I mean what nominations did Florence Foster Jenkins get to encourage Meryl Streep’s nomination in 2016? 

But Ill throw you a great example of an actress having everything going her way in terms of her film getting noms and yet not getting a nomination. Amy Adams in Arrival.  Why wasn’t she nominated either? She drove the damn film. 

Youre honestly better off just admitting that certain types of films get nominations and leave it at that. I mean go to The First Man thread and that movie that stars Emma Stone and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Talks of Oscars when a film hasn’t even been seen. But there are two best picture nominations right there as well as best actor and best actress nominations and no one has even seen the films but their Oscar noms have already been determined for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Y'know, for people who seem to complain about how out of touch the Academy is, and how y'all don't care about the Oscars, you guys sure are talking quite a lot over something you "don't care" about.

• Like 2

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Y'know, for people who seem to complain about how out of touch the Academy is, and how y'all don't care about the Oscars, you guys sure are talking quite a lot over something you "don't care" about.

I didn't even watch last year. that's how much i care...

even if i don't watch the show, i usually watch the red carpet. last year i didn't even bother with that

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

1) Just because I “complain” about the Oscars doesn’t make them not out of touch. 

2) I never once said I don’t care about the Oscars and I haven’t really seen anyone state that either except for @Alli and the reason why they don’t care about the Oscars is because of the type of films the Oscars chooses to nominate 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Youre honestly better off just admitting that certain types of films get nominations and leave it at that. I mean go to The First Man thread and that movie that stars Emma Stone and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Talks of Oscars when a film hasn’t even been seen. But there are two best picture nominations right there as well as best actor and best actress nominations and no one has even seen the films but their Oscar noms have already been determined for them. 

Director's reputation counts for a lot. Lanthimos has been knocking on AMPAS's door for a few years now and The Favourite is said to be his most mainstream script to date with bigger star power. Chazelle just won so any director's immediate follow up is always followed very closely. Plus, First Man has tested already so people have some idea.

A lot of this is driven by the punditry of Oscar predictions. They can pretty much dictate in the first half of the year what movies will get a lot of the attention. Granted, they still need to deliver and not suck. The biggest example of a pre-ordained winner was Gary Oldman. The moment that movie got a release date, he was crowned the winner and all Darkest Hour needed to do was get decent enough reviews and it did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I never said I don't care.

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Whether we care or not personally about the winners/nominees doesn't negate the fact that they have a huge impact on the industry and what types of movies get made and who gets opportunities.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nova said:

But I don’t even know why I bother arguing. It was only a couple years ago when the Academy had to change their ways in order to be more inclusive and only did so because they were called out on it endlessly. But yea they’re not out of touch or anything. 

So, what you are saying they have to bring in Marvel fanboiz to their voting table

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Honestly, I think part of the reason they don't get considered is that the Oscars know there usually is a "bump" for nominees...and they've decided they want to bump the movies that both a. need it and b. they'd rather make if money were no object...they don't want to have to star in/direct/produce CBM after CBM to be a big name, so they want to highlight their work in other areas to try to push their stars there...

I have no doubt, pre-Weinstein, we'd have had 1 of the MCU supers nominated by now for best picture...there have been a few down years with WTF mediocre crap-small film nominees that went along with the good ones, and heck, we haven't even always had the 10 nominees.  But it seems the genre is not respected, the same as animated films are not respected and thus got their own category.  I mean, back in the late 90's/00's, it was a travesty that Disney wasn't getting their animated films a top nom every year...so they made a new category, so they could.  Maybe that's what CBM's need...

Had Marvel not been extremely cheap and uninterested in award shows, they certainly could've pushed RDJ for the first Iron Man to a Johnny Depp/POTC-esque nomination and most likely the first GOTG to a few more nominations too. Still the biggest question mark for BP this year will be how much effort/money they're really going to dedicate to this endeavor.

• Like 2

My last post regarding this topic: I don’t think it’s too much to ask for The Academy to actually consider/nominate/award films/actors/actresses across all genres. There are actors and actresses who aren’t the best dramatic actors/actresses and yet they’ll have you laughing your ass of. They shouldn’t be excluded because the Academy has a tendency to favor certain types of films. Just like I’m sure you guys wouldn’t like it if only comedic actors/actresses were nominated and those who are only good at drama only got a nom once in a blue moon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

My last post regarding this topic: I don’t think it’s too much to ask for The Academy to actually consider/nominate/award films/actors/actresses across all genres. There are actors and actresses who aren’t the best dramatic actors/actresses and yet they’ll have you laughing your ass of. They shouldn’t be excluded because the Academy has a tendency to favor certain types of films. Just like I’m sure you guys wouldn’t like it if only comedic actors/actresses were nominated and those who are only good at drama only got a nom once in a blue moon.  

When you only have 5 spots a year for each categories in general, it's hard to include everyone. And, under this circumstances, the performance or films that are Preferred by the voters will prevail because most of the time, you will pick based your preference among the equal.  

Who doesn't want to see Oscar to include CBM or other blockbuster, but in the 1st place, those blockbuster have to be great and stop being pure money bait. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

When you only have 5 spots a year for each categories in general, it's hard to include everyone. And, under this circumstances, the performance or films that are Preferred by the voters will prevail because most of the time, you will pick based your preference among the equal.  

Who doesn't want to see Oscar to include CBM or other blockbuster, but in the 1st place, those blockbuster have to be great and stop being pure money bait. 

Quality is clearly not an issue when they nominate generic bait like The Blind Side, Darkest Hour, Theory of Everything, etc every damn year. That's why they decided to kick out the old inactive members cause those are the types of movies a 90 year old who hasn't worked in 20 years would love.

• Like 2

Wow, so much AM&tW discussion these last few pages 😛        

I don’t care much about the Oscars, and neither does most of the country, as ratings are making clear. They, frankly, need CBMs more than CBMs need the Oscars. The degree of attention that goes to a pretty niche group selecting which members of their favored subgenre they prefer each year is pretty bizarre.