grim22

The Curse of La Llorona | April 19 2019 | WB/New Line | James Wan producing

Sucks that this tale was so wasted. The Mexican folk tale La leyenda de la Llorona has so much potential to inspire a supremely creepy, supremely scary film that could have tap into a primal fear of many women (and men): losing their children to horrific circumstances. And I don't care what others say, the film should have cast a Hispanic woman as the social worker that Cardellini plays (although it is obvious that she is not the reason this film is apparently so bad).

MOVIE DATE SHOWING DAY FANDANGO SALES PREVIEWS LLORONA PREVIEWS ESTIMATE            
The Nun (2018) + IMAX 06/09/2018 THU 28.191k $5.4M $1.49M  
Escape Room (2019) 03/01/2019 THU 6.730k $2.35M $2.72M  
Glass (2019) + IMAX 17/01/2019 THU 15.782k $3.7M $1.83M  
Blumhouses Truth or Dare (2018) 12/04/2018 THU 2.826k $0.7M $1.93M  
Llorona + IMAX 18/04/2019 THU ~7.800k ???

~$1.88M (median)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Litio said:
MOVIE DATE SHOWING DAY FANDANGO SALES PREVIEWS LLORONA PREVIEWS ESTIMATE            
The Nun (2018) + IMAX 06/09/2018 THU 28.191k $5.4M $1.49M  
Escape Room (2019) 03/01/2019 THU 6.730k $2.35M $2.72M  
Glass (2019) + IMAX 17/01/2019 THU 15.782k $3.7M $1.83M  
Blumhouses Truth or Dare (2018) 12/04/2018 THU 2.826k $0.7M $1.93M  
Llorona + IMAX 18/04/2019 THU ~7.800k ???

~$1.88M (median)

This pretty much assures a mid teens opening. 

13 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Sucks that this tale was so wasted. The Mexican folk tale La leyenda de la Llorona has so much potential to inspire a supremely creepy, supremely scary film that could have tap into a primal fear of many women (and men): losing their children to horrific circumstances. And I don't care what others say, the film should have cast a Hispanic woman as the social worker that Cardellini plays (although it is obvious that she is not the reason this film is apparently so bad).

We're in 2019, why would any studio seek for unnecessary backlash doing whitewash? This is beyond pathetic, this movie would've been far bigger in LA if they had made a right cast.

2 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

South American ODs are perfectly fine and good. It isn't reaching Conjuring Universe heights but is better than 80% of Hollywood Horror, despite very lackluster marketing. Problem is that it won't have any legs because of EG.

If it had a Latino as lead, it would've been doing on par with TCU, considering how popular the tale is in our region. Please, don't try to defend whitewashing.

13 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

If it had a Latino as lead, it would've been doing on par with TCU, considering how popular the tale is in our region. Please, don't try to defend whitewashing.

Wow, that's a whole lot of assumptions. I suggest you to read my comments on the controversy on this very same thread to see what I think of the controversy. 

Y en serio, borra eso, quierete un poco. O haz el esfuerzo de leer algo del thread en el que estas comentando...

Edited by salvador-232
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

South American ODs are perfectly fine and good. It isn't reaching Conjuring Universe heights but is better than 80% of Hollywood Horror, despite very lackluster marketing. Problem is that it won't have any legs because of EG.

Do people seem to like it, as far as you can tell?

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Do people seem to like it, as far as you can tell?

Local media reviews say is fairly mediocre / bad and the few reactions I have seen say it is bad.

Too bad, this had a lot of potential, but it was clear from very early that they weren't making any effort. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Local media reviews say is fairly mediocre / bad and the few reactions I have seen say it is bad.

Too bad, this had a lot of potential, but it was clear from very early that they weren't making any effort. 

Warner seemed pretty confident about this movie. That's why they started marketing early and it was released in SXSW expecting good reviews from critics.

59 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

yeah, we see how popular movies lead by latinas are, miss bala recently comes to mind

its sad but the world prefers white leads

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That's surprising, I thought they would follow the BH model with this one.

Seems like WB just doing the same as their other recent horrors, same budget as Creation and less than the Nun. 

18 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

If this movie had been decent, it would've had a shot at $100m and would increase the buzz even more for Annabelle: Comes Home.

Now it will be lucky if it crosses $70m, and it'll hurt the brand.

Such a wasted opportunity.

I don’t think it’ll get anywhere near $70m, certainly not with an opening in the teens. 

Seems like they’re not actually considering it a Conjuring film. 

What could hurt that brand is that Conjuring 3 has the seem Director. 

32 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Seems like WB just doing the same as their other recent horrors, same budget as Creation and less than the Nun. 

I don’t think it’ll get anywhere near $70m, certainly not with an opening in the teens. 

Seems like they’re not actually considering it a Conjuring film. 

What could hurt that brand is that Conjuring 3 has the seem Director. 

Previews were $2.75m. It should open closer to $30m