sfran43

Thursday Numbers: MI6- $5.63M

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

Am I the only one in here who does not give a flying fuck whether a movie makes 699.999999999999M or 700.00000000000001M? 

I mean, what's the difference? 

There is no difference. Just bragging points. It would have been silly though to leave it at 699 when it so close to that 700 mark which only 2 movies have ever achieved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Am I the only one in here who does not give a flying fuck whether a movie makes 699.999999999999M or 700.00000000000001M? 

The difference is my OCD will stop irritating me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

There is no difference. Just bragging points. It would have been silly though to leave it at 699 when it so close to that 700 mark which only 2 movies have ever achieved. 

Sure, but now Black Panther's $700m mark will always be remembered as one that was Poohed.   Was it worth it?   :thinking:

:nudgewink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I imagine that it is so the movie will be one day on that type of list:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fastest.htm?page=500&p=.htm

When 700 will had become common enough for a fastest to 700m list to be made and other type of bragging rights.

There is obviously more "meaningful" round number obsession

A bit like scoring 50 goal in a season instead of just 49 in hockey being a big deal (because in the past the season was 50 games and the record was 50 goals for a long time, giving that number a special sentimental value that stayed around to today)

Or the 100m-200m number that give a movie significant financial benefit all around the world.

Caring about box office would usually mean caring about irrelevant stuff (like yearly ranking, round number, records, etc...) to make it fun.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure, but now Black Panther's $700m mark will always be remembered as one that was Poohed.   Was it worth it?   :thinking:

:nudgewink:

For OCD round number obsessed people like me, it surely is. 

• Like 3