NickDisney13

Harriet | Nov 1 2019 | Focus Features | Cynthia Erivo

56 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Been reading tweets about this movie on twitter and all I have to say is that I feel even better about not supporting it at all. 

This oughtta be good.

Why don't you support the movie (ie. before the tweets)?

43 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

A+ Cinemascore. 98 RT audience and now it's over performing in the boxoffice. With the amazing WOM cynthia could get two oscar nods. One for best actress and best song. I hope to God they cast her in the The Color Purple remake.

She could very well end up with the career Jennifer Hudson wanted.

22 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

What film after SATC?

She has been in quite a few low profile films according to her IMDb page. Also keep in mind she has been the host and guest judges on several music shows and the face of Jenny Craig when she lost all the weight. Also she also played shug avery in The Color Purple on Broadway and Hairspray Live. She is also in talks to be in The Color Purple remake produces by Steven Spielberg. Also she currently has Cats coming out and is currently filming respect a biopic about Aretha Franklin which could earn her Oscar nod. Not sure how the movie Cats will turn out but her song memory is destined to be a hit.She is not an A-list actor but she has done very well for herself for somebody who was a nobody before Dreamgirls.

Edited by Curtis1986

11 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

A+ Cinemascore. 98 RT audience and now it's over performing in the boxoffice. With the amazing WOM cynthia could get two oscar nods. One for best actress and best song. I hope to God they cast her in the The Color Purple remake.

I hope to God they do not. Given Cynthia's ignorant comments about Black Americans and the way she gaslights anyone who raises concerns about said comments, I don't want to see her play any more Black Americans. 

Harriet may be doing relatively well but I don't see much buzz for Cynthia's performance. (It doesn't look particularly impressive from what I've seen.) She is getting more negative attention for having been cast in this movie than anything else. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

49 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I hope to God they do not. Given Cynthia's ignorant comments about Black Americans and the way she gaslights anyone who raises concerns about said comments, I don't want to see her play any more Black Americans. 

Harriet may be doing relatively well but I don't see much buzz for Cynthia's performance. (It doesn't look particularly impressive from what I've seen.) She is getting more negative attention for having been cast in this movie than anything else. 

From the perspective of someone who enjoyed the movie, I think Erivo's performance is in a strange position. I believed I was watching Harriet Tubman on-screen and not just an actress. That's just me. However... It feels like the film itself doesn't do too good a job of highlighting the performance aspect of the film. It's a great performance, but the way the film is shot and presented somehow understates the performance. It's like Gugu Mbatha-Raw in Belle (dir. Amma Asante). Both films are so caught up in powerfully displaying the historical narrative, that they come off as History-channel reenactment, and the performers are valued a smidge less because of that. So from that perspective, I think there's a chance the film loses buzz despite garnering solid numbers at the box office.

Edited by SLAM!

15 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I haven't heard anything about the controversy until now. Definitely seems to be a much less prolific controversy than other major films have faced. Regardless of whether she actually gets nominated or not, I really doubt this will have anything to do with it either way. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I haven't heard anything about the controversy until now. Definitely seems to be a much less prolific controversy than other major films have faced. Regardless of whether she actually gets nominated or not, I really doubt this will have anything to do with it either way. 

Agree. Nobody is talking about that so called controversy. However people are talking about the great job she did in the movie and the great WOM leading to boxoffice numbers. 

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

If you haven't heard anything, you aren't paying attention. It's been all over twitter for months now. Cynthia has been asked about it multiple times, so has the director and neither has done a good job of addressing the issue. 

I never said the controversy would affect whether or not she gets a nom. This is the kind of movie the Academy usually falls for so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I'm simply saying that there has been more talk about her comments than praise for her performance or her getting an Oscar nom. Awkwafina, Renee Zellweger, Scarlett Johansson, Lupita and Alfre Woodard have all gotten more buzz and the latter is in a movie that hasn't been released yet. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

5 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

If you haven't heard anything, you aren't paying attention. It's been all over twitter for months now. Cynthia has been asked about it multiple times, so has the director and neither has done a good job of addressing the issue. 

I never said the controversy would affect whether or not she gets a nom. This is the kind of movie the Academy usually falls for so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I'm simply saying that there has been more talk about her comments than praise for her performance or her getting an Oscar nom. Awkwafina, Renee Zellweger, Scarlett Johansson, Lupita and Alfre Woodard have all gotten more buzz and the latter is in a movie that hasn't been released yet. 

Exactly, twitter. I’m not on twitter, so I wouldn’t hear about this. Not that whatever controversies are confined to twitter are not worth discussing, but twitter is more of a confined space for complaining about things than its users might think.

EX: Joker’s controversy was covered extensively outside of twitter. That’s why it’s gained much more attention. A lot of people I know on twitter irl are shocked when what they’ve been reading on twitter is not well-known outside of twitter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Exactly, twitter. I’m not on twitter, so I wouldn’t hear about this. Not that whatever controversies are confined to twitter are not worth discussing, but twitter is more of a confined space for complaining about things than its users might think.

EX: Joker’s controversy was covered extensively outside of twitter. That’s why it’s gained much more attention. A lot of people I know on twitter irl are shocked when what they’ve been reading on twitter is not well-known outside of twitter.

Umm, the Joker gained much more attention because it's the Joker, because it's a more mainstream film and because of the nature of the controversy. In any case, the controversy with Erivo garnered enough attention to where she and the director were asked about it. You not hearing about it doesn't change that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm simply saying that there has been more talk about her comments than praise for her performance or her getting an Oscar nom. Awkwafina, Renee Zellweger, Scarlett Johansson, Lupita and Alfre Woodard have all gotten more buzz and the latter is in a movie that hasn't been released yet.

Wasn't ScarJo far more "all over Twitter" just a couple of month ago, for defending Woody Allen?