Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think it is worse than Space Jam 2 because Space Jam had absolutely no entertainment value but this is absolutely not a good movie. I understand it makes people feel well and it's occasionally admittedly fun with a charismatic performance from Jodie Comer but the means it goes through to reach those crowdpleasing moments is very shrill and lazy. Those 2 big fan service moments in the 3rd act were ridiculous but played well in the theater (of course)

I think both movies had no entertainment value. Really, the biggest reason I think this is worse is because it pretends to be an actual movie when it's in essence no different to Space Jam 2. Just felt really icky to me. It's a perfectly engineered product (not a movie), which is also why it's a crowdpleasing hit.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What personality? The one that does not want movies to have dumb advertisements forced in?

You know, the bitter/jaded/cynical,  contrarian/deliberately anti-popular, “fun references bad because corporations, whaaaaa” sort. But we don’t see eye to eye on this at all so probably shouldn’t take up too more space in the thread. 

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I don't really consider myself contrarian or jaded. Some here might think I hate the MCU but that's absolutely far from the case. I have a DC profile photo lol. I love Ryan in Deadpool but that persona doesn't work for me outside of that. I think his smartassery is better executed in that context which provides genuine laughs and a surprising amount of emotion. I did laugh at the Deadpool posters in the background of this. Glad an original project is helping theaters, though!

I loved Endgame, it was one of my favorite movies of 2019 and an unforgettable theater experience. Personally, I thought #thatscene was a desperate Hail Mary-a rehash with no punchline, only "humorous" because it's recognized.

12 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

You know, the bitter/jaded/cynical,  contrarian/deliberately anti-popular, “fun references bad because corporations, whaaaaa” sort. But we don’t see eye to eye on this at all so probably shouldn’t take up too more space in the thread. 

Dude, how am I deliberately anti-popular when I enjoyed the highest grossing movie of the year? We don't see "eye to eye" because there's no truth here. Just a bunch of insulting lies.

And the references weren't even fun.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 1

If people enjoy recognizing things they like (and history+anecdata on theater reactions strongly suggests that this is the case) then it’s somewhere on a gradient of fine to actively good to put in things they like for them to recognize when you’re making a movie for people to enjoy. Suggesting that people shouldn’t like that strikes me as pretentious. But knowing this place I probably shouldn’t have brought it up and I will say no more on it unless people really want to continue in DMs.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

If people enjoy recognizing things they like (and history+anecdata on theater reactions strongly suggests that this is the case) then it’s somewhere on a gradient of fine to actively good to put in things they like for them to recognize when you’re making a movie for people to enjoy. Suggesting that people shouldn’t like that strikes me as pretentious. 

Nah, I'm suggesting the guys who made the movie are lazy hacks lol. Maybe filmmakers should should just make movies references to other things since that's what audiences like.

• Like 1

I cannot speak for lorddemaxus. I'm not denying audiences like this film. Look at the weekend hold. If it works for them, fine. Good for them. I respect that. I understand why people would like this movie. Personally, it didn't work for me. I don't understand why anyone here gets so mad at differing opinion about popular movies or claiming pretentiousness or contrarianism. Why does it matter if you enjoyed it? And since they're popular, you're among the majority opinion. Is that not enough? I just thought the film was overlong, shallow, lazily written, didn't live up to its overall premise. Not very funny (which of course is subjective but yikes, those Taika scenes). A lot of the fanservice elements did not evoke a reaction from me. My opinion. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I cannot speak for lorddemaxus. I'm not denying audiences like this film. Look at the weekend hold. If it works for them, fine. Good for them. I respect that. I understand why people would like this movie. Personally, it didn't work for me. I don't understand why anyone here gets so mad at differing opinion about popular movies or claiming pretentiousness or contrarianism. Why does it matter if you enjoyed it? And since they're popular, you're among the majority opinion. Is that not enough? I just thought the film was overlong, shallow, lazily written, didn't live up to its overall premise. Not very funny (which of course is subjective but yikes, those Taika scenes). A lot of the fanservice elements did not evoke a reaction from me. My opinion. 

I get why audiences liked it. I do have some frustrations with the fact that audiences like stuff like this, but I obviously know there is nothing I can do about it. My blame here is completely on the filmmakers. There are better ways (that needs more skill) to get a good reaction out of audiences. Hell, there are more interesting ways to make references to popular things than just have some item or person from that thing randomly show up. 

• Thanks 1