Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I wonder if levy is more interested in pursuing FG as a franchise first or doing Deadpool. 

He's talked a bit about doing a Real Steel sequel. I think it's more likely he gets that than Deadpool.

I honestly think Taika may wind up with Deadpool.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, Lokis Legion said:

Deadline is too conservative, 18+ easy. Should breeze past 110M

I mean yeah, their Saturday was comical, cmon now. Frankly I was hoping to hit 19, let’s see if actuals deliver.   

23% Sat-to-Sat drop btw 😎

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

He's talked a bit about doing a Real Steel sequel. I think it's more likely he gets that than Deadpool.

I honestly think Taika may wind up with Deadpool.

If Levy had a choice I can't see him choosing Real Steal over DP.   It would e a sequel to a movie over 10 years old with a 60% RT score that made $85m domestic.  It's a recipe for failure.  Even if he doesn't get DP he has to have better opportunities after Free Guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If Levy had a choice I can't see him choosing Real Steal over DP.   It would e a sequel to a movie over 10 years old with a 60% RT score that made $85m domestic.  It's a recipe for failure.  Even if he doesn't get DP he has to have better opportunities after Free Guy.

I could see it hapoening as a direct to Disney+ thing.  And even then I'd imagine Disney wants him for Free Guy 2. I wouldn't be upset if he got Deadpool but I feel if he was the guy they'd have announced that on top Free Guys success.

With another week to itself until Shang Chi, this should be in for another small drop next weekend. While the 4-day Labour Day will also help, I wonder how much SC is going to hurt this.

For now, I'm going to guess around 110-115 domestic, with potential for more if it can hold its own against Marvel.

I was kinda joking with my Reynolds hate thing (his entire persona is still annoying as shit but I've enjoyed some of his performances), but this movie is so much worse than I expected. They somehow managed to make a worse film than Space Jam 2 (which at least was transparent about its goals). Just made me want to rewatch a real film like RPO that basically works the same way (also written by Zak Penn lmao). 

Spoiler

Since I brought up the RPO, it's so funny how to not make it too similar to that, the writers change it from people all over the world fighting for their (virtual) freedom to them watching some dude do it for them. The whole thing ends up being a shitty let's play video. And the end goal is to get people to just watch NPCs? Do the people who made this movie even like video games?

• Thanks 1

I don't think it is worse than Space Jam 2 because Space Jam had absolutely no entertainment value but this is absolutely not a good movie. I understand it makes people feel well and it's occasionally admittedly fun with a charismatic performance from Jodie Comer but the means it goes through to reach those crowdpleasing moments is very shrill and lazy. Those 2 big fan service moments in the 3rd act were ridiculous but played well in the theater (of course)

Taika's performance in this is also undeniably atrocious. A cancerous onscreen void. I challenge anyone to defend whatever it is he's doing. It's so painfully unfunny I believe he's trolling. A deliberate science-experiment to see how far he can last on Hollywood goodwill

• Like 1