baumer

Bad Times At The El Royale (2018)

Grade it  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I freaking loved this movie. I thought it was well made, although I didn’t like chris hemsworth’s character or subplot. Kind of dumb. I was thoroughly entertained and the 2+ hours breezed on by. My friend didn’t like it as much as me though. 😕 I give it an A

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

Basically Drew Goddard trying to do his best Tarantino that works better than most movies that aspire to be like Tarantino's but I thought it started to drag at certain points after beginning so well. This really didn't need to be nearly 2.5 hours long, as I don't think we needed all of the character information that we're given. The climax was a bit of a letdown too after such a strong setup. But the ride to get there is enjoyable for the most part, and all seven of its main actors (some much less famous than others) are used well. B-

• Like 1

A scriptwriter's movie. As in, a scriptwriter so in love with his ideas on the page that he doesn't question if the whole lot makes any coherent sense on the moving screen.

It doesn't gel. At all. A boring exercice in Indiewire's onanism 20 years too late in the quirky pulp department. (Even a random Xavier Dolan's cameo doesn't elicit much of the batshit WTFuckness it wants to conjure up).

C.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Gotta admit that I was fully expecting whenever Lewis Pullman kept saying that he can't kill any more people during the climax that he was referring to visitors at the El Royale that he murdered, and after he revealed he had killed 123 people, I honestly wish they had gone in that direction with that character. :lol:

• Like 1

A total mess.  I didn't care at all for any of the characters here and while I was mildly entertained yet bored for the first half of the movie, once Thor shows up it goes way off the rails.  I hated that part of the story.  And the trailers are misleading.  It makes it out to be that all the characters are connected somehow and that they all come to the El Royale for some kind of connected purpose.  Fake News.

6/10

• Like 1

Very pleasantly surprised. Solid thrills all along from an amazing cast. Definetely some moments over here that will take your breathe away. I liked the whole atmosphere and the work with time jumps worked pretty well. Chris Hemsworth topless adds 1/10 to any movie ever.

The ending could have been better plotwise but it has a very powerful/emotional moment so still not bad.

B/B+

• Like 1

intriguing premise. I was entertained, but it was not what I expected. The idea of seeing a scene from different perspectives was very good. The idea of flashing back to set up a character was not. The whole arrival of a new enemy that joins the motley crew together was a cheap ending. Still the film surprised me and entertained me. No film is perfect, and this is far from it, but it was a blast of fresh air. 

Mostly boring aside from cool aesthetics. It's constantly doing that thing where it makes you think it's gonna do something but it does the opposite, a cheap trick of a writer who read too many screenplay books. Also, was annoyed by how much they went back showing something we had already seen, just from a different perspective.

Its teaser is absolutely the best, but the movie is a snoozer, a very pretty one, but still a snoozer, unfortunately. 

5/10

Edited by Goffe