BK007

What's your criteria for purchasing a movie?

I'm a little fascinated by the whole idea of what people watch and then what they actually buy after. As we all know, we are a select few who watch as many movies as we do anyway. Most people don't watch as many movies in five years as we do in one. That said, even when examining any movie at the box office and working out their rough admissions, the conversion rate to home video is very low. Sure some can be explained by families, mostly younger-skewing flicks, but that rate is as low as the rate of people who actually see a film. As I once found out, less than a third of Americans in 1997 saw Titanic, the then highest grossing film of all. The previous jump from VHS to DVD was great in sales and was evident in history with the DVD becoming such a successful mass produced and popular product, probably the peak of the home video industry and despite increasing Blu-Ray sales, it will not touch the heights once experienced before.That said, I find it interesting to see which movies stand the test of time, or rather, pass the studio's personal popularity test which coincides with what we consumers purchase and make worthwhile to reissue. The Blu debutants were Underworld Evolution (also on home video), Hitch, 50 First Dates, House of Flying Daggers, XXX, the Fifth Element and the Terminator. Most were of shoddy actual quality but those were chosen. The next batch were Ultraviolet, Lord of War, Crash, the Punisher, Saw, Terminator 2 and the Last Waltz.Obviously any movie released in that year would have to be released on the new format, Hitch was a massive hit the year before and thus also made sense to start with, despite DVD sales being massively frontloaded for any film. Whilst Lord of War, 50 First Dates and Crash were all 2 years before, maybe they were recent enough to have decent masters though obviously not good enough. So it brings us to really the standouts of the list in the Terminator franchise. The first, if I recall right, wasn't even a real big box office hit and yet it was chosen to usher in the new era.In the next couple of months, movies before 2000 that were released included Species, Stargate, Total Recall, Stir of Echoes, Full Metal Jacket, Lethal Weapon 1&2, Blazing Saddles, the Big Hit, Sleepy Hollow and the Fugitive. I'll save the listing, but is anyone else intrigued? Of course it also depends on the studio, but what determines which movies are brought out for show during what time? Certain movies earning in excess of 100m+ have still not been released. Sure, you don't want to explode out of the gate having Lord of the Rings and Star Wars be available but wouldn't the new format want to solidify itself early? What makes movies like Men in Black 2 and Rush Hour 2 still not be released and why are certain films so popular in being reissued? Universal has rolled out a certain few flicks again and again and again (Hulk, Shaun of the Dead, Apollo 13 etc.)I guess, obviously the answer is which resonates most with the purchasing audience that makes them always be on the rack, but it is really interesting to see which movies are the ones that continue to be whored out and which just fall through the cracks, end up out of print and forgotten. Sure a film like Fight Club turned out to be a cult hit and improved its standing as years went by but when it did open it was not only to mix reviews but it had average legs for its time and finished #54 in 1999. Maybe it's just where I'm from, but nowadays it's certainly more popular and well known and become a studio catalogue regular above Entrapment (Same studio) or just other movies that earned more during the year like Double Jeopardy or General's Daughter. So, I'd like to ask the question in the title, then. What is your criteria because surely we don't buy every movie we see in the cinemas or even half the movies. There are those that are crap that we know won't last long in the public's consciousness but then good movies don't always sell through.

I like it?(sorry, I didn't read your whole post, just figured it'd be nice to have a reply haha)Expanding: I usually buy a couple blu-rays a month, usually a combination of my favorite movies for the year and old favorites to build my collection (ala TGWTDT next week and Jaws/Indiana Jones coming out later this year).

Edited by FTF

It has to be something I like and could see myself watching multiple times. Otherwise, what's the point of not just renting it?

That is my criteria as well. I have to be able to look through my movies and have no problem in seeing it for the 117th time :P

It has to be something I like and could see myself watching multiple times. Otherwise, what's the point of not just renting it?

Good point. Problem here I've faced at least is that the film you want to watch may take awhile to arrive. (UK)

Did I enjoy it?Is it at a price i'm willing to pay?That's why I haven't got Super 8 yet. Loved it at the theatre, but neither new, nor ex rental copies are at the price I want to pay yet.

I used the HMV voucher and got it for 10 quid :P what's your price?

Price is the main thing for me. I still don't have TS3 or Inception. Most of the DVDs I buy tend to be older movies, at least a decade old.

Me too, right now because so many films I want to see and haven't. But, Aussie prices are daylight robbery aren't they? What are TS3 and Inception going for right now?

I usually only buy Blu-rays of my favorite movies in a certain year, and I'll certainly get The Artist when it comes out. I'm really interested in seeing the behind the scene footage there.

Are favourite and best mutually exclusive for you or not?In the last year, I've already picked up most of the "blockbusters" I've liked but don't really think I'd want to get 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' if you know what I mean.

Are favourite and best mutually exclusive for you or not?In the last year, I've already picked up most of the "blockbusters" I've liked but don't really think I'd want to get 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' if you know what I mean.

Generally, yes. If it's a great movie, I certainly enjoy watching it.

Price is the biggest thing for me, I prefer to buy movies at pawn shops, where I can sometimes get them as low $2 which is nice because I can buy movies by the bulk, it is simply to expensive to buy every dvd when it comes out, which is why I'm waiting for Rise of the Planet of the Apes to either appear at a pawn shop or for the price to go down to $5 at the retail.

my criteria, very specific when purchasing movies:#1 - has to have nudity#2 - enjoyed watching in theaters#3 - more nudity

Necessarily watched in theatres? Otherwise www.naughtyamerica.com :P and a torrent site would do wonders.

Has to be something that I really enjoyed and can see myself watching multiple times. There have been a number of movies that I enjoyed or thought was decent but didn't really feel that I would want to watch multiple times. If its something I loved I'll by it the day it comes out but some movies I can wait for them to be cheaper. Of coarse I bought the SW BR set. I got Alien and Aliens as well. Looking forward to getting the Indy BR collection.