That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

I'm pretty sure that most major studios have a 2 week contract set in place for all their films, although a lot of smaller studios don't have this.  I know that NEON and A24 don't, since Vox Lux got dumped from every theater near me after a week, and First Reformed played at my theater for only a week.  Anyone have any other examples?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm pretty sure that most major studios have a 2 week contract set in place for all their films, although a lot of smaller studios don't have this.  I know that NEON and A24 don't, since Vox Lux got dumped from every theater near me after a week, and First Reformed played at my theater for only a week.  Anyone have any other examples?

Annapurna with The Sisters Brothers.

Just now, That One Guy said:

When would the two week cut off be, though? As this would be its third weekend... It's currently playing its second week. And how enforceable is it, when the floppage is soooo bad? Are there really no loopholes? 

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

When would the two week cut off be, though? As this would be its third weekend... It's currently playing its second week. And how enforceable is it, when the floppage is soooo bad? Are there really no loopholes? 

Full week starting per release times 2 (not sure if we speak about the same)

Some contracts have 3 weeks and more, depends.

In general:

I think it depends on the size of he distributor as well as the size of the cinema chain. Big trumps small as sadly always

Also about how strong a franchise expectancy is, if the material is waited for (see MCU, or Fast & Furious, or...) After a certain height wih no sign for the usual trilogy downs... the distributor might have a lot of strong-arm possibilities

Just now, terrestrial said:

Full week starting per release times 2 (not sure if we speak about the same)

Some contracts have 3 weeks and more, depends.

In general:

I think it depends on the size of he distributor as well as the size of the cinema chain. Big trumps small as sadly always

Also about how strong a franchise expectancy is, if the material is waited for (see MCU, or Fast & Furious, or...) After a certain height wih no sign for the usual trilogy downs... the distributor might have a lot of strong-arm possibilities

So this being its third weekend, it flopping SOOOO badly, and with competition from big brands and distributors...still weird. Well, if nothing else, could we be looking at a 2500+ loss next weekend?

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, I think it's required to be in theaters for a full 2 weeks, as in 14 days.  So if Mortal Engines released on the 14th, then they can drop it this Friday the 28th.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

So this being its third weekend, it flopping SOOOO badly, and with competition from big brands and distributors...still weird. Well, if nothing else, could we be looking at a 2500+ loss next weekend?

As The One Guy too said, 2 full weeks

I am not sure about which movie you speak but assume a reaction to the ??? post of titanic#### Mortal Engines

If you look at this ~ chart you'll see when to expect a theatre count drop (2 full weeks). And yes, probably a rather big one

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=mortalengines.htm

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

As The One Guy too said, 2 full weeks

I am not sure about which movie you speak but assume a reaction to the ??? post of titanic#### Mortal Engines

If you look at this ~ chart you'll see when to expect a theatre count drop (2 full weeks). And yes, probably a rather big one

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=mortalengines.htm

Yeah, so that's what I was confused about - the estimates being 3100 for ME. With it hitting two weeks this coming weekend, then that SHOULD realistically be under 1000, no?

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Aquaman was the worst DCEU movie by a mile. Bottom 10 of the year. Awful. 

38 minutes ago, YLF said:

Lol I thought it was terrible too

They tried to get rid of me

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Tonight, will shatter the $500M global mark. The half-breed drunk is ruling multiplexes worldwide with lucrative week ahead.

But from ocean to ocean they gonna have to deal with me

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, so that's what I was confused about - the estimates being 3100 for ME. With it hitting two weeks this coming weekend, then that SHOULD realistically be under 1000, no?

It says 25 December, might be a in-beween thing for new releases based on the Christmas holidays this year seem to be raher full?

Or they didn't change the old chart if no news.... or it did got a 3 week + contract

edit to add:

Tomorrow is Christmas Day, which is a surprisingly good day to release a movie, and two new films are hoping to take advantage of this.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/235710830-Christmas-Predictions-Can-Sherlock-Solve-the-Case

Edited by terrestrial
  • Thanks 1

It says 25 December, might be a in-beween thing for new releases based on the Christmas holidays this year seem to be raher full?

Or they didn't change the old chart if no news.... or it did got a 3 week + contract

Yeah, you're right - might be because of Vice and Sherlock, rather than the weekend one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'll be curious to see if that "millenials see 4 movies over the 2 week Xmas break" pans out this year like it did last year...

As a Millennial, I am at Poppins twice.  I was suppose to do Bumblebee as a double feature, but I had been up making rolls to 3AM and was exhausted.  I Might try again tomorrow. And then my friend and I have a date for On The Basis of Sex. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, you're right - might be because of Vice and Sherlock, rather than the weekend one.

I see per quote you might have missed my edit, see the quote above, I am leaning to the in-between releases

• Like 1