That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

So they made minus 2.5% of the BO per year. That's a lot (obviously or they wouldn't be 1.2b in the red)

But why didn't someone pushed the emergency break way earlier? around 250 minus a year, that's over 4y at least (if growing use...) and no one reacted?

Sometimes I have no idea what to think about people

They wanted to be the next Amazon or Netflix. 

For years Amazon was thriving (stock price wise) on 1% profits (if it had profits) and it wasn't profitable for 3 straight quarters until 2015 - almost 2 decades after it started.

Netflix is still burning through cash while accumulating 10s of millions of more subscribers.  It had a negative cash flow of $859m last quarter and yet it's market cap (nuttily) is valued at more than Disney.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/netflix-free-cash-flow-q3-2018-negative-859-million.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/08/29/better-buy-the-walt-disney-company-vs-netflix.aspx

Metric

Disney

Netflix

Revenue

$57.91 billion 

$13.88 billion 

Operating income

$14.38 billion

$1.36 billion

Net income

$12.02 billion

$0.99 billion

Operating cash flow

$14.01 billion

($1.66 billion)

Free cash flow

$9.85 billion

($1.78 billion)

Cash and investments

$4.33 billion 

$3.91 billion 

Debt

$23.67 billion

$8.34 billion

Valuation

Finally, let's review some key value metrics for these two entertainment titans, including price-to-sales (P/S), price-to-earnings (P/E), and price-to-earnings-to-growth (PEG) ratios.

Metric

Disney

Netflix

P/S

Trailing P/E

Forward P/E

PEG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That’s a really tiny drop from Saturday so everyone dancing on the movie’s grave or whatever can take a seat for now (and probably stay seated depending on what happens starting tomorrow).

Looking at early numbers on Fandango it's looking to have the smallest drop on Monday in the top 5

• Thanks 1

Remind me never to attempt a corny joke/sarcasm for you funny folks!🙄

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If i am correct, MP raise the most from estimate compared to other film? 

I guess Disney just downplay the sunday's gross by projecting a nearly impossible 20% drop

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$1.29m is a rather sizable jump especially if it's just from Sunday.  It would mean about a 4-5% drop.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That’s a really tiny drop from Saturday so everyone dancing on the movie’s grave or whatever can take a seat for now (and probably stay seated depending on what happens starting tomorrow).

• Haha 3

Here's a reminder to vote in the Most Anticipated Movies thread this week. You might forget if you wait a few days. Apparently there's some big holiday this week or something.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/667-box-office-theorys-most-anticipated-films/?page=358

This is the first week that Episode IX is eligible. Do you dare to still look forward to a Star Wars movie?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Looking at early numbers on Fandango it's looking to have the smallest drop on Monday in the top 5

It’s almost sold out the afternoon shows at my theater tomorrow where they are actually moving it back to the biggest non-PLF screen after giving it to Aquaman over the weekend (this theater is also rotating the two giving Mary Poppins 3 screens during the day and 2 at night while Aquaman gets 2 during the day and 3 at night). Tomorrow’s definitely going to be its biggest day so far, and likely by a big margin too.

10 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Lol I knew you were joking with the gif, was simply commenting on the numbers since there have been declarations of “flop” and the movie’s run has barely even kicked into gear yet.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I didn't understood it in that way 😉 (as in it was ~ clear that it was meant funny)

Thank you for your numbers btw

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think December will be targeted for superhero films from now on. If I was WB, I'd be dating DC films in December for 2021 onwards. I imagine Disney will eventually schedule a Marvel movie in December as well. 

Technically Disney will have Avatar in December. WB could put one of their lower budget superhero films in December.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think December will be targeted for superhero films from now on. If I was WB, I'd be dating DC films in December for 2021 onwards. I imagine Disney will eventually schedule a Marvel movie in December as well. 

Avengers 4 would have been a monster this December.

Disney has SW and soon to be Avatar for December so I don't think Marvel will be dated in December unless SW really is being slowed down and Cameron gets Avatar 3 out half as slow as he did A2.  Both quite possible.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Avengers 4 would have been a monster this December.

Disney has SW and soon to be Avatar for December so I don't think Marvel will be dated in December unless SW really is being slowed down and Cameron gets Avatar 3 out half as slow as he did A2.  Both quite possible.

Does Disney even have any more Star Wars projects in the pipeline after Episode 9?

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Push WW84 back to December 2019 :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does Disney even have any more Star Wars projects in the pipeline after Episode 9?

Don't think so, but based off Boxofficemojo Avatar 2-5 are scheduled for Christmas 2020, 2021, 2024 and 2025. So we just need replacements for '22, '23 and '24. There's a tentative Disney live action for '22 but after MPR who knows.