That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

43 minutes ago, BestActressGaga said:

Oh wow oh wow ASIB only the 17th R-Rated movie ever to cross $200M. The way the public embraced Lady Gaga as a leading lady, I can't. None have done it since Whitney Houston 26 years ago, and even then that movie was panned.

I love The Bodyguard. 

A Star Is Born was so good, I think that’s what Bradley and even moreso Gaga will always be remembered for. Like Whitney is for Bodyguard. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I mean, it's possible that such would be the case, but I really feel like the box office was healthier when it was around. I just can't see a Jumanji or a TGS hitting the legs they had without that kind of support (I know they had ridiculous wom, but that kind of staying power is abnormal and probably had many other outside elements, one of them being MoviePass). Nevermind many mid range movies which probably did better than they would without it. I don't know, maybe I'm being ignorant, but I would've liked to have seen if it really would've made a difference.

I just don't buy it. It's been a while since MP went belly-up and in that time we've had loads of movies putting up crazy numbers. A-List and stuff are still around and kicking, so it's not like idea of cinema subscription disappeared with MoviePass. I think it's more of a failure to connect than anything else. Time and time again this year we've seen that if something really clicks, people are more than willing to go wild for it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I just don't buy it. It's been a while since MP went belly-up and in that time we've had loads of movies putting up crazy numbers. A-List and stuff are still around and kicking, so it's not like idea of cinema subscription disappeared with MoviePass. I think it's more of a failure to connect than anything else. Time and time again this year we've seen that if something really clicks, people are more than willing to go wild for it. 

I think both POV might have merrit.

Inkl to get the people more into the cinemas again, see together with their friends trailers,.. for upcoming movies also the repeat-views for some movies might have had a certain %

Not as huge as many hink, but:

moviepass needed to come up with $1.2b in 2018, somewhere that kind of money had to be spent to to get the minus that high, so maybe a bit more than you think????

6% more tickets got sold in 2018. Maaaaayyyyybe movie pass had caused a very small % of that, maybe its not measureable I do not know beside the minus is really big, or?

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I’m not sure that means it’s a perfect family film. 

Fishboy accepts his place in the world ,finally meets with her long gone mother and unite the whole family including the extended see family killing the father of another dude in the process.

Tho half brother was being a dick so he gets grounded. I think its the perfect family movie of the season

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

MoviePass had a few million users at its peak. It would add, if we are being ridiculously generous, like 30m to a movies gross. I really think some BOT users exaggerate how big of an impact that company had. 

See, I can take it:)...

But it did more than just add directly to BO through its users...it also brought users with non-users (less for the super users, but it still worked), and it brought awareness of movies and movie going as a cool activity...

So, yes, directly, $30M was probably the add to most big movies (although the amount of repeat viewings some movies had, maybe some more:)...but it was more than just direct...AND it had the other services (Fandango/Atom) offering WAY more discounts to also bring folks in, and those discounts compound and continue to add to the box office...

I know last Christmas, I didn't pay more than 1/2 price for any movie...heck, last fall, I didn't pay more than 1/2 price...and routinely paid $3/ticket...not seeing that this year, unless you have the right cellphone plan or credit card:)...

PS - A List picked up some Moviepass slack in the fall, but it seems topped out for now...and while it still ran in the fall, Moviepass has pretty much stopped doing any movies in December for the vast parts of America (pretty much no big movies can be seen now til Jan 4)...

PPS - Well, The Mule is today and Second Act is tomorrow (and was the weekend), so maybe middle America can see something...no other wide releases for the other days this weekend or Dec 26 for those last few users looking to get their money's worth.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Maybe MoviePass didn’t directly help the box office but MoviePass did help bring subscription based services to light. If MoviePass didn’t exist would AMC have rolled out A-list? I don’t think so. 

And while I don’t have numbers to back up what I’m saying, I think if the numbers did exist we would see that subscription based services certainly help the box office. Especially for smaller movies. Just from myself, when I had movie pass, I saw so many movies that I wouldn’t have otherwise. I know I can’t be the only one either. And while MoviePass isn’t as big now as it was before, it did help bring in other subscription services as mentioned above and I really think things like A-list helped with the box office this fall. So while I don’t have any statistical evidence that shows whether MoviePass impacted the box office, I’d be more than willing to bet it had some effect on it whether directly or indirectly. 

• Like 3

I think the best comparison for a “Movie Pass” v “No Movie Pass” is Black Panther and Infinity War.

Black Panther full run was under MoviePass’s OG plan. They dropped the “only see a movie once” plan ON Infinity War Weekend.

MoviePass users made up for 25M in sales for Black Panther. And AIW ended up like 25M behind Black Panther.  

It it is NOT perfect, but it is close as you can probably get. Like @aabattery said, the max Plus to the profits would’ve been like 30M.

But I do agree with @Nova that MoviePass’s real beauty was too spread the love around.  Now GA audiences have to be more selective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think the best comparison for a “Movie Pass” v “No Movie Pass” is Black Panther and Infinity War.

Black Panther full run was under MoviePass’s OG plan. They dropped the “only see a movie once” plan ON Infinity War Weekend.

MoviePass users made up for 25M in sales for Black Panther. And AIW ended up like 25M behind Black Panther.  

It it is NOT perfect, but it is close as you can probably get. Like @aabattery said, the max Plus to the profits would’ve been like 30M.

But I do agree with @Nova that MoviePass’s real beauty was too spread the love around.  Now GA audiences have to be more selective. 

Which means, at Christmas, people are choosing 1-2 movies and viewings, not 5-6 viewings...I guess this season would show the biggest impact b/c it's when MP users had the most ability to go and enjoy at will...

I'll be curious to see if that "millenials see 4 movies over the 2 week Xmas break" pans out this year like it did last year...

Edited by TwoMisfits