AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

9 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Yeah I don't understand why this movie underperformed. it looks super cute to me. guess cute doesn't always cut it. Still I think it's wom will be good enough for at least $160m. 

But Seriously was anyone predicting these number for any of these movies MJP2 $290m SPECTRE $200m, Good Dino $165m, Peanuts $140m. all of those numbers are well under my predictions. kind of sad really :unsure:

That always sounded right for Peanuts to me, but the other 3 are sure big surprises to me. Going into the winter game I thought Spectre and TGD were locked for 250, Mj2 locked for 350, and TGD had potential to go 350+. 

13 hours ago, portgas said:

Then you don't visit social networks much. After the new trailer it's freaking everywhere. People love it and the hype is definitely there. When Disney starts their usual heavy promotion closer to the release, it's gonna be a smash hit guaranteed. In fact, it has all the potential to be their next big thing.

Yeah, and it was a smart decision to make Judy Hopps the focus of the sloth trailer. WDAS needs to show their loyal fanbase of little girls that the movie will appeal to them too. If this awesome marketing keeps up, then I could see it increasing from BH6, or at least drop by just an insignificant amount. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Zootopia's prospects look 550% better after that Sloth trailer. But TGD's marketing was going amazingly for awhile too. They need to be consistent and not drop the ball with it close to release like what happened here. 

Zootopia looks awesome and I think it will break out big. About Good Dinosaur, I do need to say that the first trailer was kind of meh to me. (which is what IO had before it). the second one was amazing though. and then the third was also kind of meh. Maybe they should have stuck with two trailers.

• Like 1

Spoiler free review:

Aside from the visuals, which are jaw-dropping, this isn't one for the ages. It's cute and enjoyable. However, it doesn't quite connect for really good emotional oomph. It still has some nice heft, because Pixar's very good at that in general. But it's still not quite there in the way the best Pixar films (and recent WDAS films) are.

Still, visuals are worth it and then some.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, damienroc said:

Spoiler free review:

Aside from the visuals, which are jaw-dropping, this isn't one for the ages. It's cute and enjoyable. However, it doesn't quite connect for really good emotional oomph. It still has some nice heft, because Pixar's very good at that in general. But it's still not quite there in the way the best Pixar films (and recent WDAS films) are.

Still, visuals are worth it and then some.

It did connect with me, but I do agree this is much simpler than they usually go and I am interested to see how it holds on re-peat viewings when I'm able to maybe pick my jaw up off the floor just from looking at it. 

With all that said, Sanjay's Super Team is one of Pixar's best. I would love to see it extended out to a full feature. Hindu stories really do have comic book levels of awesome. That disk block moment was amazing with how it synced up the visuals and the music.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Just like what I said before, the connection this can make is greater to those who lost one or both of their parents.

Uh...speak for yourself. 

It shouldn't rely on that to create connection, and even then, it didn't succeed. For me, it was heavy handed with its messages, heck, this is one of the first movies where I really felt the whole "talking rather than showing" criticism levelled at many movies scripts. Arlo's father exists to spout out words of advice. He has no character. Neither do any of the remaining family members, or any of the cast of creatures besides the triceratops. Even Arlo himself is poorly developed and thought out. Spot is decent but to model him after a dog was freaking unoriginal. An absolute disappointment. And this was the last Pixar movie I'd be interested in for the next 3 years until Coco comes out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Uh...speak for yourself. 

It shouldn't rely on that to create connection, and even then, it didn't succeed. For me, it was heavy handed with its messages, heck, this is one of the first movies where I really felt the whole "talking rather than showing" criticism levelled at many movies scripts. Arlo's father exists to spout out words of advice. He has no character. Neither do any of the remaining family members, or any of the cast of creatures besides the triceratops. Even Arlo himself is poorly developed and thought out. Spot is decent but to model him after a dog was freaking unoriginal. An absolute disappointment. And this was the last Pixar movie I'd be interested in for the next 3 years until Coco comes out. 

Pixar heavy handed in its messages? haven't heard that one before.

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Uh...speak for yourself. 

That is how I felt. It's unfortunate that's how it went for you.

Yeah, in the very week before it opened there were major speculations over whether it would even pass 50m on OW, what with JW and its unexpected OW Record taking away all hype and all media headlines. Infact, IMO IO opening to 90m+ on JW's second week was much more surprising than GD opening to 40m is.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BK007 said:

Uh...speak for yourself. 

I just realized that Good Dinosaur is the last Pixar film I have any interest in until Incredibles 2 comes out in 2019 :wacko:

• Like 1

On 28.11.2015 г.,, kayumanggi said:

Since Shay is rich, he should donate half of his wealth to Dreamworks.

I'd lie if I say I hadn't considered that.

But I now have a better plan:

1 the Shay waits, patient as a giant crocodile in the shallows

2 until Pixar finish the downward spiral they are now in - and are on the verge of bankruptcy

3 then the Shay strikes and buys them out for a couple of hundred million bucks

4 BINGO: now the Shay can teach them how to write BESTSELLING stories - while utilizing their average but still worthwhile visual resources

5 EVERYONE PROFITS