AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Disney certainly has tried hard as hell to market TFA to all audiences.

You have the lead heroine with Rey who is destined to be popular with girls (That THG audience), Finn for those that wanted a black actor in a lead role all these years, and the original trilogy characters for those nostalgic for the old films.

It feels like TGD has gotten lost through all this TFA advertising blitz. I'm expecting TGD will find a much bigger audience on dvd.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

On December 2, 2015 at 7:13:57 PM, tribefan695 said:

I think this is going to be one of "those" movies for me that I feel a personal need to defend from any negative associations. It's like Wall E for me but without the backup. I rank it 4/5 ish on my Pixar list

I may not agree with your opinion on TGD, but I have nothing but respect for your convictions to defend it so ardently: this film is not only arguably Pixar's largest failure (in comparison terms at the very least), but is not fairing well with most audiences. It's gonna be a life-long struggle, so I wish you much luck ahead.

When Inside Out wins the Best Animated Feature award at the Oscars next year, we'll let you have your bitchfest. ;)

• Like 1

On December 2, 2015 at 7:13:57 PM, tribefan695 said:

I think this is going to be one of "those" movies for me that I feel a personal need to defend from any negative associations. It's like Wall E for me but without the backup. I rank it 4/5 ish on my Pixar list

I may not agree with your opinion on TGD, but I have nothing but respect for your convictions to defend it so ardently: this film is not only arguably Pixar's largest failure (in comparison terms at the very least), but is not fairing well with most audiences. It's gonna be a life-long struggle, so I wish you much luck ahead.

When Inside Out wins the Best Animated Feature award at the Oscars next year, we'll let you have your bitchfest. [emoji6]

I'm going to try to actually uphold my vow when Lego Movie got snubbed and ignore the Oscars this year. Since it appears the whole world is against me this time hopefully it'll be a lot easier.

What would be amusing though would be if the animated branch follows through on Spidey's hypothesis for Lego's snub and this gets nominated or even wins because it's the most technically innovative of the nominees this year

Maybe it's me.....but i would probably think that films like Spectre, MJ2 & TGD were afraid and scared of SW7 and how much that one will open.

It's pretty rare to see one zeitgeist blockbuster movie in December take every thunders away from the ones in November. Doesn't happen very often.

• Like 1

There's definitely a high chance this is snubbed of the animated nom at the Oscars now. The chance was always high, imo, since I never saw two Pixar's getting in as any easy feat. But now with the subpar critical reception and box office results, they will really have an easy excuse to ignore it. I just pray it's not Minions, Home, or HT2 that takes its place. That would be pretty cringe-worthy. I think The Prophet is gonna be what this gets snubbed for though. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There's definitely a high chance this is snubbed of the animated nom at the Oscars now. The chance was always high, imo, since I never saw two Pixar's getting in as any easy feat. But now with the subpar critical reception and box office results, they will really have an easy excuse to ignore it. I just pray it's not Minions, Home, or HT2 that takes its place. That would be pretty cringe-worthy. I think The Prophet is gonna be what this gets snubbed for though. 

I'm sure The Academy are unlikely to give any of those three nominations, there are much better indie and foreign films that'll get picked. 

Considering The Academy also nominated two DWA films back in 2012, I think we'll see two Pixar films nominated (although like the Annie Awards, I wouldn't be surprised if Katzenberg bought the votes to get the two nominations)

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm sure The Academy are unlikely to give any of those three nominations, there are much better indie and foreign films that'll get picked. 

Considering The Academy also nominated two DWA films back in 2012, I think we'll see two Pixar films nominated (although like the Annie Awards, I wouldn't be surprised if Katzenberg bought the votes to get the two nominations)

The Annie Awards were IO, TGD, Peanuts, Shaun and Anomalsia for best. Even tho the Kaufman film technically has a higher critical reception than IO (although it's very, very close), IO seems to be the easy favorite to win.

I'm going to imagine it'll be the same next year for the Oscars. Remember that IO was also technically innovative and is supremely hailed. Lego was one of those rare times where the Oscars ignored a "zeitgeisty" film, but I don't think they'll ignore IO. It's everything the Academy loves and more.

If it's three nominations (I heard it may be), I think it'll be Peanuts, Anomalisa, and IO. This and Shaun the Sheep could get in with five slots. None of the indie slots are getting enough buzz to interfere, but The Boy and The World seems the most likely.

I wasn't crazy about it, but I won't go out of my way to really criticize it beyond that it didn't really work for me. I admire you sticking to your guns, Tribefan.

42 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Can TGD outgross the lowest grossing Pixar movie 'A Bug's Life? at $162M unadjusted?

Barely it seems. Not even Christmas bump can help this one. Alvin will take some of the audience.

Beating ABL will require phenomenal holds these next 3 weekends through NY. Even then it still might not. It's certainly not off to a good start. 

On December 5, 2015 at 11:52:07 PM, tribefan695 said:

When Inside Out wins the Best Animated Feature award at the Oscars next year, we'll let you have your bitchfest. emoji6.png

I'm going to try to actually uphold my vow when Lego Movie got snubbed and ignore the Oscars this year. Since it appears the whole world is against me this time hopefully it'll be a lot easier.

What would be amusing though would be if the animated branch follows through on Spidey's hypothesis for Lego's snub and this gets nominated or even wins because it's the most technically innovative of the nominees this year

Did golden state not like Inside Out?

Why would Good Dinosaur have a chance of winning with Inside Out in competition? There's not even a sliver of a hope. 

Your paragraph seems very disjointed. I thought it was Blankments you quoted and then mixed up the quote marks.

1 hour ago, zackzack said:

Can TGD outgross the lowest grossing Pixar movie 'A Bug's Life? at $162M unadjusted?

Barely it seems. Not even Christmas bump can help this one. Alvin will take some of the audience.

No, it can't. Bloody disappointing, but so was the movie.

Alvin? Ha. 

That has been as badly advertised as this, and it's the fourth, everyone knows it sucks, and it's going up against Star Wars. 

I hope Alvin makes like sub-$10m OW. That would be so deserved and so hilarious. Another movie ignored by the public.

Unfortunately, Paul Blart still made $70m early this year, so that audience is still out there. 

• Like 1

On December 5, 2015 at 11:52:07 PM, tribefan695 said:

When Inside Out wins the Best Animated Feature award at the Oscars next year, we'll let you have your bitchfest. [emoji6]

Did golden state not like Inside Out?

Why would Good Dinosaur have a chance of winning with Inside Out in competition? There's not even a sliver of a hope. 

Your paragraph seems very disjointed. I thought it was Blankments you quoted and then mixed up the quote marks.

Yeah, Tapatalk screws up quotes sometimes.

I'm not kidding myself, this has zero chance of winning. Just fantasizing about a scenario that would make be laugh.

Actually, Shaun the Sheep barely beats this as my favorite animated movie this year. I really loved that too

On 12/5/2015, 6:55:38, Jonwo said:

Yeah but KFP2 and Puss in Boots were both well received big commercial successes. TGD is Pixar's second worst reviewed and their first box office flop. If it were the only Pixar film of the year I think it would make it, but I can't see it happening with IO. Love to be wrong though, since TGD is only a hair beneath IO for me personally. 

On 05/12/2015, 21:22:07, tribefan695 said:

That was Damienroc's theory actually. I had pointed out that while that could be a valid reason for BH6 winning, it didn't explain why Lego was snubbed from the nominations altogether. Just a year earlier, MU was snubbed from the noms too, and in that year, it was generally considered to be the most technically superior animated movie. So that flies against the face of that hypothesis. I'm more in the camp of "Academy elitism being the reason for Lego's snub".

Regarding TGD, I wouldn't be surprised if it is just 3 noms this year or if it gets snubbed for The Boy and the World and Shaun the Sheep. I've always maintained that both Pixar movies getting BAF noms was an uphill battle and now the Academy has two good excuses to snub TGD. Of course, I may still be wrong. :D 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1