AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

You don't think having no origin story is an advantage?? Smh.But really let's take this to the ASM threaf

Yes, I was about to say the same thing but I really don't have much to say. 

1. Were talking about OW, not DOM. 128M>98M.

2. Rhino gives it that funny vibe (brighter).

3. Also IM2.

4. -59.4% Had 57M worth of competition. As of now faces 3 comedies on its 2nd wknd. With a 130M+ OW and a 59.4% fall would do better.

5. Yeah, people were for SM1 and IM1.

You don't think having no origin story is an advantage?? Smh. Godzilla will likely not be a huge domestic performer. And we can't talk about 60% drops yet. Iron Man 2 is known to be disappointing.But really let's take this to the ASM thread

IM1 and SM1.

The last time no summer film made 300 M was in 2001. I don't see that happening next year.

It's not impossible. Which is not to say that it would then automatically be a bad summer, as you can see even this year, without TA or TDKR, it's still kicking last summer's arse.

It's not impossible. Which is not to say that it would then automatically be a bad summer, as you can see even this year, without TA or TDKR, it's still kicking last summer's arse.

This Summer was far more fun than last year.

• Like 2

I still think The Good Dinosaur will be the highest grossing movie of Summer 2014

1. Pixar's golden release date (last weekend of May) - Up and Finding Nemo both did great in this slot

2. Dinos = $$$ - little boys will automatically love it 

3. An original property - originality is always a plus during the heat of summer

4. 3 weeks all to itself - no kiddie competition until HTTYD2

5. Intriguing plot - more thought-provoking than Brave anyways  :P

I'd say:

$77 million opening weekend

$324,5 million DOM total

2. Spidey 2: $310 million DOM total

3. HTTYD2: $295 million DOM total

4. TF4: $270 million DOM total

5. DOFP: $225 million DOM total 

6. Maleficent: $210 million DOM total

7. Apes 2: $205 million DOM total

8. F&F6: $190 million DOM total  

9. Guardians of Galaxy: $185 million DOM total

10. Million Ways to Die: $175 million DOM total

But I definitely think the 3 biggest films of 2014 will be Mockingjay Part 1, Hobbit 3, and the Minions spinoff - not to mention Tomorrowland, Ridley Scott's Exodus, Big Hero 6, and Interstellar all being contenders for big hit status.

I'd actually say November-December 2014 has a better lineup than Summer 2014  :lol:

I think November-December 2014 sound better than next summer lol (with the bolded as the ones I want to see most) 

Big Hero 6 (Disney animation + Japanese Marvel= yay!!) 

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan)

The Secret Service (Michael Caine and Samuel L Jackson in the same movie? WHOA) 

Mockingjay Part One (Hunger Games) 

Exodus (Ridley Scott's next)

Tomorrowland (Brad Bird + original sci-fi adventure=YES!) 

The Hobbit: There and Back Again (I could see it having an outside chance at +$350 million since it's the finale) 

The Minions Spinoff (this could be the highest grossing movie of 2014 if it's any good)

Into the Woods (this and Transcendence might be Johnny Depp's first good live action films since Sweeney Todd) 

Unbroken (Jolie + the Coen Brothers) 

Late 2014 seems a lot more intriguing than summer 2014. Actually spring 2014 looks solid too!

The Lego Movie (looks gleefully tongue in cheek for a kids movie)

Mr. Peabody and Sherman (love Ty Burell and it looks like tons of fun)

Divergent (I have to read the book but Kate Winslet's involvement is interesting)

Muppets Most Wanted (at the moment, my most anticipated of 2014 being a die-hard Muppet fan lol  :lol: )

Noah (Russell Crowe and Emma Watson are pretty good but I've never seen any of Darren's films)

Captain America - The Winter Soldier (Robert Redford? A political thriller with superheroes? Sounds good to me!)

Heaven is for Real (a great story that will probably go well with those in the heartland/Bible belt)

Transcendence (Depp + Freeman + original sci-fi idea + cinematographer from TDK trilogy= YES! YES! YES!) 

Summer has The Good Dinosaur, Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, HTTYD2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Unless other films I haven't listed get amazing reviews, next summer is gonna be awful for movies haha :P  with only Good Dinosaur, ASM2, HTTYD2 and GotG as films on my must-see list

Edited by mahnamahna

Seriously where are all these $300M predicts coming from? I mean are people pulling these from stats or their ass?

Or maybe it's because Up and Finding Nemo shared the same release date as Good Dinosaur (last weekend of May, right after Memorial Day) and both became HUGE hits. Not to mention dinosaurs are as popular with little boys as cars and superheroes 

This won't be the highest grossing movie of the summer just because HTTYD2 comes three weeks after.

You could say it could pull off a Monster University, but then when HTTYD2 opens, it'll crash and burn. I still think How To Train Your Dragon will end up grossing more than it.

• Like 4