AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

I hated Wall Es final trailer. I think this is the best marketing campaign they've ever done

It's been decent. Better than most of theirs, but I haven't been blown away. Mainly just some really amazing visuals and landscapes in the trailers. The poster in your avatar is the best thing of the campaign so far. 

• Like 1

Pixar always has notoriously bad trailers, that's for sure. The sole exceptions being almost all of Wall-E's and almost all of IO's. IO's "More Than a Feeling" one is the best trailer I've ever seen for one of their movies by a long shot.

Yeah IO's trailers were really good, really made me wanna see the movie. The 2nd trailer especially was one the best I had ever seen (I don't see a lot of trailers though).

I still don't know anything about it, not a glimpse of story, not even a bit of emotional themes, nothing besides setting.
And setting sounds damn right - dinousaurs in the era of first humans! Hell yeah!

But, wait. Dinosaurs are fully inteligent? Human is a dog-type creature? Ugh.
I don't know what to think about it. Something 'touched' me on some deep level when they called Spot like a dog. It's just...wrong to degradate human being to a dog. But well see. Hopefully it will live up to Pixars name.

It's the most honest one they've done, that's for sure. They haven't tried to make it look like a laugh fest like they did with IO

What are you saying about IO? That the trailers were funny but the movie wasn't? Inside Out was one of the most hysterical films I've seen in years. Everyone in the audience was practically wetting themselves.

• Like 1

Well, there was humor but it was mostly in the first half. The trailers didn't give any indication about how cerebral and emotional the film would get. Let me put it this way: I don't think something like More Than a Feeling is an accurate representation of the film's real tone

Edited by tribefan695

No, sorry the film was hilarious throughout. Anyway the film is still very upbeat, at least for kids - who won't necessarily understand all of the deeper undertones. Do you somehow think the movie would have done better if the trailers had been super-serious and sad?

Also, I think this TGD trailer is going to set a new standard for me - this will be the first ever trailer I've actively avoided. The teaser was enough for me, and I need to test myself to see how well I can hold up against Star Wars marketing...

No, sorry the film was hilarious throughout. Anyway the film is still very upbeat, at least for kids - who won't necessarily understand all of the deeper undertones. Do you somehow think the movie would have done better if the trailers had been super-serious and sad?

I suspect if the only music the marketing department had at their disposal was Giacchino's original score, the tone of the advertising would've been significantly different. 

Honestly, though, I have no problem with the way Pixar advertised Inside Out. They hired a bunch of comedians so it was expected that they would push it as a comedy. But I just really appreciate the earnestness they're treating this movie with. You almost never get this gentler, unforced kind of campaign for a major studio animated film.

Edited by tribefan695

I think that's actually due to how little the marketing budget is on this thing. Remember that this film was made practically twice and that kind of thing isn't cheap, thus the marketing is pretty much just, "Look how much money we spent making this thing, it's on the screen right there. We have dinosaurs! That should be enough for you, right?"

What I don't see are proven elements of a strong story and even characters. A lot of the dialogue was muddled and it seems to be due to tight editing. It's been reported that there is not much dialogue and it has a more slumbering pace. (can't wait to find out the runtime on this thing) This is probably the weakest of the three trailers that have come out since June.

I wouldn't even say that Inside Out's trailers "lied" to people, after all in absolutely zero of the "Up" trailers did they focus on the first ten minutes... that was billed as a laugh-fest. Toy Story 3 was also as well. All animated movies are. Obviously audiences didn't mind it either, since Inside Out was a gigantic hit.

Furthermore, everything I just said above about TGD comes from speculation and rumors. What if the trailers are lying and the film is completely different? We don't know yet. There is so much fervent secrecy behind this movie even up until a month-and-a-half prior to release that we really can't say anything yet.

• Like 1

I think that's actually due to how little the marketing budget is on this thing. Remember that this film was made practically twice and that kind of thing isn't cheap, thus the marketing is pretty much just, "Look how much money we spent making this thing, it's on the screen right there. We have dinosaurs! That should be enough for you, right?"

What I don't see are proven elements of a strong story and even characters. A lot of the dialogue was muddled and it seems to be due to tight editing. It's been reported that there is not much dialogue and it has a more slumbering pace. (can't wait to find out the runtime on this thing) This is probably the weakest of the three trailers that have come out since June.

I wouldn't even say that Inside Out's trailers "lied" to people, after all in absolutely zero of the "Up" trailers did they focus on the first ten minutes... that was billed as a laugh-fest. Toy Story 3 was also as well. All animated movies are. Obviously audiences didn't mind it either, since Inside Out was a gigantic hit.

Furthermore, everything I just said above about TGD comes from speculation and rumors. What if the trailers are lying and the film is completely different? We don't know yet. There is so much fervent secrecy behind this movie even up until a month-and-a-half prior to release that we really can't say anything yet.

This.

Agree with your concerns. Exactly mine.

I actually don't think TGD is getting an Oscar nom btw. Contrary to what everyone seems to be sure of.

I wouldn't exactly call Peter Sohn's own mouth "speculation and rumors". This is going to have less dialogue than the usual Pixar film. Of course, with that in mind I assume there isn't much opportunity for one liners that would still be funny out of context, so it would be much easier to just focus on the film's production design. But I don't think it's fair to say you don't get a good sense of who the characters are. Whether you like them or not is another matter, but they've made it abundantly clear that the story is about a timid dino trying to find his way back home and befriending a feral child and a family of TRexes along the way I guess my feeling is wouldn't you rather assume that Pixar knows what they're doing here? Whatever reason they're marketing this film the way they are, it's sure as hell working for me

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1