Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Finished my MI rewatch, my opinions on these really changed a lot since I last saw them!

Fallout > MI 1 > Rogue Nation > Ghost Protocol > MI 2 >> MI 3

Somebody needs to explain to me how MI3 is the worst when it has the best villain and the only romance with any heart. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Upon rewatch...

Fallout

MI1

Rogue Nation

MI3

Ghost Protocol

MI2

MI2 is the only bad one in the bunch. 

MI2 really feels like it's a film that was fucked with in the editing room. Tom Cruise and John Woo should really be a match made in heaven but from what I understand there was a lot of behind the scenes friction regarding the runtime and tone of the film.

For me it's:

Fallout - Rogue Nation - Ghost Protocol (in this order but very close, each one has at least one of my favorite scenes or spy craft in it)
MI:1 (Brian Del Palma direction is wonderful and really makes it feel like an auteur's vision)
MI:3 (Great villian, best opening, really gives the franchise it's indentity going forward that McQ builds on)
MI:2 (I like it, not a part of my rewatch cycle, but the last 30 mins is pure 90s fun and I'm a big John Woo fan)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

never understood people who claimed 3 was one of the best ones

I like the thriller vibe of it. PSH definitely contributes a lot to it but I really enjoyed other aspects such as the romance. It's similar to Fast in Furiouz (2009) as like a reset of the franchise, although I don't like Fast in Furious (2009). Going through my rewatch rn except for MI2 because I really didn't like that one.

Edited by Austin

Hard not to get super pumped for this when you read some of the reviews;

"It’s rare that something so exhilarating and heart-stopping is, in some ways, also one of the most important films in recent memory. Rage, rage against AI, and do not go gentle into that good night Tom Cruise."

Also this train clip is awesome:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuUkyVZNjIR/

2 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I’ve never really looked at the audience scores for those movies before. Really surprised that they’re not higher than that; especially for GP. 

They were all before verified scores were a thing

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, junkshop36 said:

I’ve never really looked at the audience scores for those movies before. Really surprised that they’re not higher than that; especially for GP. 

Yeah Ghost Protocol's seems a little low honestly especially since that's a favourite at least in my circles. Hell until Fallout it was my favourite - first one to really play into the team dynamic, it's probably the funniest of the bunch (love how the tech never works), some of my favourite setpieces, and it really leans into the campier spy stuff ("Your mission, should you choose to accept it", "Mission Accomplished", etc).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Especially with the legs it had. 210m domestic, never had a wknd above 30m

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Audience scores nowadays are higher because they show the verified ones. There wasn't verified scores until 2019 I believe. I think Captain Marvel was the start of the new stupid wave of review bombing, so now they show verified scores of people who rated the movie through their Fandango accounts or something.

Edited by Austin

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

Somebody needs to explain to me how MI3 is the worst when it has the best villain and the only romance with any heart. 

from what i heard a lot, it feels like a bigger budget episode of Alias  , and if you don't like JJ , you'll probably rate lower too. I think its fun and got a great villain , but its divisive for some reason.

I think that what a lot of people aren't considering with the WOM is the scientology factor with the movie honestly 

Mission impossible is a youth franchise who gets bombarded about what all tom cruise does behind the screen and inside his house on platforms like twitter, instagram and tumblr 
It is not like top gun where there isn't much youth factor 

The youth are known to care about these things 

So I think initial weekend will have heavy rush of tom cruise fans and propel it to almost 100 million but it is also important to recognize the scientology factor 

because of it I honestly think that the films second week won't earn as high as the first

You know the saying friends 

"everyone wanna be like titanic but no one is truly titanic"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

MI3 is a decent flick. It does have the best villain. The only issue it has that all the following films in the franchise are a tier above in quality, It is more about how well Bird and McQ has done, really. To use a sport analogy, MI3 is a division winner, GP is a conference winner and McQ built a dynasty winning Super Bowls with Tom Cruise as his quarterback.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

26 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

I think that what a lot of people aren't considering with the WOM is the scientology factor with the movie honestly 

Mission impossible is a youth franchise who gets bombarded about what all tom cruise does behind the screen and inside his house on platforms like twitter, instagram and tumblr 

So I think initial weekend will have heavy rush of tom cruise fans and propel it to almost 100 million but it is also important to recognize the scientology factor 

because of it I honestly think that the films second week won't earn as high as the first

What is blud waffling about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

Donald Trump Wow GIF by GIPHY News

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The McQuarrie/Cruise collaboration's only major stumble was The Mummy.  It's not the quality of the film that was ever in question. The box office run is going to be interesting. It's definitely going to perform better than Rogue Nation. I actually think it will perform better than Fallout domestically despite Barbie's possibility of being a box office hit. International performance is where I think it might take a minor dip. No way this crosses a billion like Top Gun.

As far as series ranking goes (in order):

Rogue Nation

Fallout

Ghost Protocol

Mission: Impossible

M:I 3 and 2 are equally bottom tier despite having some great set pieces.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I like MI3, it's just the least cinematic and most forgettable. Only good villain though, PSH is excellent in it and the Vatican scene is great.