Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

3 hours ago, Algebra said:

Seeing more of the reactions and again noticing this pattern. The only outright negative/mid reactions are from RN/Fallout and JW super fans. General audiences and  critics who don’t even like most action movies are overwhelmingly positive.

I wonder what this means for me if I'm a Fallout superfan, but not a Rogue Nation superfan lmao

MI:2's 57m opening weekend back in 2000 continues to look more and more impressive as the years go on. It's a shame this franchise could never back to the same level of hype that the series started off with (at least domestically). 

Just got done MI2 for the rewatch.

Yeah, this one is a mess. I really wish we can one day see John Woo's original version though - I've heard stories from across the industry about how the final version is basically nothing like what Woo intended and how it was really fucked with in the editing room, and frankly it tracks. Most of the issues here are with the way it's edited; constantly cutting without much rhythm, feels like scenes and shots are missing, and the pacing is all wacked. It's a shame too cause I think there is good stuff here, mostly in the style; I love Woo as an action director and when his style shines through it's a blast. Love the trenchcoats, the shades, the motorcycles, the dual wielding pistols, all of it. It's ridiculous yes but it's fun and instantly recognizable. Cruise is great again but outside of the ever great Anthony Hopkins ("it's not Mission: Difficult, it's Mission: Impossible") and Ving Rhames the supporting cast is much weaker this time around. Dougray Scott's villain in particular just isn't interesting - what is his connection to Hunt and why does he care so much about him? We never find out and again feels like stuff is missing from the final cut.

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

What would it need to get back to 100%

Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t work that way. If a movie has even a single negative review, it won’t go back to 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, even if the percentage rounds up to 100. 

For me, there’s not a single Mission Impossible-film in the franchise that i didn’t like or didn’t work. Since i find all of them very enjoyable. Yes, even the first few MI-films are pretty good and underrated. 💁🏻‍♀️

Aside from the most well-received & beloved MI films (4-7), are there anyone who are big fans of the first three films (1-3)?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

For me, there’s not a single Mission Impossible-film in the franchise that i didn’t like or didn’t work. Since i find all of them very enjoyable. Yes, even the first few MI-films are pretty good and underrated. 💁🏻‍♀️

Aside from the most well-received & beloved MI films (4-7), are there anyone who are big fans of the first three films (1-3)?

Huge fan of the first. In fact, it may be my favorite of the franchise on a purely gut level. 

• Like 1

I love 1 and 3 a lot as well, both bangers.

Having rewatched the first 3 the past few days, MI:3 has the unfortunate placement of being the bridge in between MI:2 and the rest of the best films lol. 

Its genuinely a great film in itself that's completely overshadowed by the industry-defining stunts and action the latter films have. It sets the groundwork for what the franchise becomes. Philip Seymour Hoffman is chilling and arguably the franchise's best villain. The opening scene grabs you immediately with his and Cruise's back and forth arguing. There's a sense of dread and tension thanks to him and the plot with the tiny brain bombs. The bridge scene is aces. Plus it introduces Simon Pegg to the franchise and that's a major win in itself. 

Like I said it gets overshadowed but that's because 4-6 (and now 7) are just phenomenal films. 

Edited by GambitPool
  • Like 1