Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

The days of Hollywood making big bucks in China is over. MCU, FF, Transformers,  Avatar (many predicted it would gross $500M or more), and other movies constantly breaking $100M back then. But now it’s different landscape. No wonder why MI7 will also dropped (looking at bad presales). Hopefully with the quality of movies and receptions, it’ll have strong legs to minimize the drop from Fallout.

35 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I feel like the word woke has truly lost it's meaning these days due to some online weirdos calling everything they don't like as woke...you will even see some youtubers call a movie woke if it has a female lead with some good action sequences. If a movie like MI bombs (which I am mostly sure that it won't), then I am confident that there would be some idiots coming out and saying bs like it flopped because MI went woke and had forced screentime and action sequences of female actresses of the movie or some bs like that

Yep just like if TG Maverick bombed it would have been they had a woman and two black guys and a hispanic guy as part of the team or some crap like that. 

13 hours ago, Claudio said:

The ending is not as cliffhanger as Fast X or ATSV. But yeah not a fully complete ending either. Infinity War for me is the most complete ending for Part 1 movie.

If I were a giant blockbuster producer, every story would be a PART 1 and PART 2. Nail part 1 and part 2 doesn't even need marketing. 

MI2 is underrated. It is like a time machine in late 1990s action filmmaking style with just enough flare to be like "we are in the new millennium, bitch". Cruise with long hair is a different vibe than his usual self, Thandie Newton is hot af. 

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

If I were a giant blockbuster producer, every story would be a PART 1 and PART 2. Nail part 1 and part 2 doesn't even need marketing. 

Which is why even if DR part 1 underperforms somewhat Part 2 should explode next year. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

He's not "woke". He just believes in equality for all. There's a difference.

Thats what woke means for 95% of people. There is a 5% of people who jump off the deep end and say it means we need to historically underprivileged people enormous advantages over everyone else to make up for the past, which is where gets kinda nuts. But things like minority and female leads in film are just...representative of the world we all live and experience every day. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

McQuarrie is very woke. So I'm not sure why people think the movie is woke-free lmao

Didn't feel that way at all. All female characters here are both beautiful and don't feel like male characters in a dress. And it was refreshing to see a female lead in an action movie who's not martial arts expert just because.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

MI2 is underrated. It is like a time machine in late 1990s action filmmaking style with just enough flare to be like "we are in the new millennium, bitch". Cruise with long hair is a different vibe than his usual self, Thandie Newton is hot af. 

This. 

Just now, emoviefan said:

Which is why even if DR part 1 underperforms somewhat Part 2 should explode next year. 

That move should be DC's thing. It is a giant advantage as opposed to cramming everything in to one film.

THE BATMAN had an epic length but yet a lot of the films core was seriously half baked, it should have absolutely been a 2 part film. 

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That move should be DC's thing. It is a giant advantage as opposed to cramming everything in to one film.

THE BATMAN had an epic length but yet a lot of the films core was seriously half baked, it should have absolutely been a 2 part film. 

I hear you. I love the Batman. it is my #1 movie of 2022 and I am not sure what Reeves can come up with for the sequel. 

Question for those who watched it. I've only seen the first Mission Impossible and nothing else. Does the franchise have a lore that continues from each previous movie (a-la John Wick or Craig Bond) or this can be watched as an independent story?

• Like 1

Anyone know if this is worth watching in an IMAX? Was shot with "IMAX approved cameras" but afaik it has no expanded image. It releases tomorrow here so trying to work out what format to get a ticket for tomorrow evening.

Edited by Avatree

34 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Didn't feel that way at all. All female characters here are both beautiful and don't feel like male characters in a dress. And it was refreshing to see a female lead in an action movie who's not martial arts expert just because.

See, again... This is just a weird take. A male character in a dress? What the hell does that even mean? 

A martial arts expert just because? What the heck are you even talking about?

24 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Question for those who watched it. I've only seen the first Mission Impossible and nothing else. Does the franchise have a lore that continues from each previous movie (a-la John Wick or Craig Bond) or this can be watched as an independent story?

They are all perfect standalone films so far. There will be some returning characters, but they all blend into the story nicely.

17 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Anyone know if this is worth watching in an IMAX? Was shot with "IMAX approved cameras" but afaik it has no expanded image. It releases tomorrow here so trying to work out what format to get a ticket for tomorrow evening.

Defo IMAX or if nothing near you a PLF. This has to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

I feel like the word woke has truly lost it's meaning these days due to some online weirdos calling everything they don't like as woke...you will even see some youtubers call a movie woke if it has a female lead with some good action sequences. If a movie like MI bombs (which I am mostly sure that it won't), then I am confident that there would be some idiots coming out and saying bs like it flopped because MI went woke and had forced screentime and action sequences of female actresses of the movie or some bs like that

No, it's mainly when female characters fall into the girlboss strong female lead stereotype that doesn't have to struggle ever in the film and always succeeds. That's when it's irritating because it's just shitty writing trying to check one of the boxes the studio is asking them to do. Females can fight with men, but in no reality are they physically on the same level as men, so they have to be more creative in the choreography.

Mission Impossible movies have never done that so it's not surprising when a new one doesn't do that shit.

Edited by Austin

22 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

No lore. Just usual ‘new problem, new mission, new challenge’ kind of plot. Independent story indeed so you can watch it fine without watching the others. But there are some dialogues that hints about the previous movie (just filler dialogue, no effect on major plot so it’s safe) and characters returning (no problem at all again just you might feel less attached to the character dynamic and all its drama moment).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Splitting movie into 2 parts must only happen in rare occasions like the finale or when the movie has huge scope. Otherwise audiences will get tired. Imagine if all of the Avengers movies were 2 part. You’ll get 6 Avengers movies and the fatigue will be real. Same goes for every Avatar, DC, MI Bond and any franchises.

45 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

There are returning characters and storylines sometimes but they catch you up to speed pretty quickly if you haven't seen the movies. The actual story of each film is standalone though with a clear beginning, middle, and end so you can probably jump in here and not be lost.