Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

In my opinion, it’s a mix of both Barbenheimer stealing all the attention and MI7’s own fault for looking like more of the same. I’ve been saying that for weeks before release, that the movie would probably disappoint because it looked repetitive, and post-pandemic audiences are rejecting theatrical releases that don’t feel like anything special. The competition from last weekend’s openers definitely hurt its chances of recovery with good word of mouth. It was hard for good reception to spread when everyone was already obsessed with Barbie and Oppenheimer, even if those were from different genres. But MI7 also underperformed in its own opening, so the movie had its own problems. That’s not to say it wasn’t well received by those who went to see it, well received movies failing to have great legs at the box office is not new.

more of the same is a thing, even the last Planet of Apes under performed despite good reviews and coming off a well received film , big problem when part 2 still to come

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

More story and better writing is needed. McQ turned a spy action series into an action series with spy themes. DRP1 is my favorite of the McQ directed movies but still nowhere close to 1,3, and 4 in terms of quality story that lends itself to repeat viewing.

• Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Under Quantumania WW seems possible. Paramount man, they had a great slate and just whiffed on a lot of it.

Yes, it is cooked in the US. Show me your logic that it finishes under ANT-MAN though? Don't be ridiculous. It probably passes it in a week.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Is it really overperforming that much OS compared to here?

It's doing what is was supposed to do. Some big markets it's tracking ahead of FALLOUT. Some markets it's not doing great. Barbenheimer is a global phenomenon. OP is selling out IMAX worldwide. So it got hit badly. If you take away China where it got limited release and got pulled quickly, it's doing FALLOUT numbers. The big disappointment is the domestic tally.

The series is coming to its natural end which is fine. At a certain point you have to acknowledge no matter what you do the franchise has reached its peak interest. I do believe Part 2 will do better at least DOM but my guess is Cruise goes off and does other stuff after this. 

33 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The series is coming to its natural end which is fine. At a certain point you have to acknowledge no matter what you do the franchise has reached its peak interest. I do believe Part 2 will do better at least DOM but my guess is Cruise goes off and does other stuff after this. 

I think it's mostly just shitty release timing. He still has a free pass at Paramount to do whatever but I think if they don't fuck up the release of Part 2 it'll do much better.

• Like 2

Yes the losing of 1100 screens seems harsh but I got to believe those were fairly empty screens last week. That's why they are getting rid of them this week.  It does not  automatically mean it will drop another 50% or more this weekend. That being said Paramount sucks. I can't say that enough. 

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Doesn't have to end. Just needs to reinvent itself a bit. Lower the budget yo 150 and make it more of a spy movie with action likr MI3, but wait 5-6 years before the next one.

30 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yes the losing of 1100 screens seems harsh but I got to believe those were fairly empty screens last week. That's why they are getting rid of them this week.  It does not  automatically mean it will drop another 50% or more this weekend. That being said Paramount sucks. I can't say that enough. 

legs worse than Rise Of The Beasts would be total rejection

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

legs worse than Rise Of The Beasts would be total rejection

Come on.  Knock it off with the people did not like the movie shit. Nothing backs that up.   ROTB had the Flash and Elemental in it's second weekend this had Barbenheimer. 

35 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Doesn't have to end. Just needs to reinvent itself a bit. Lower the budget yo 150 and make it more of a spy movie with action likr MI3, but wait 5-6 years before the next one.

MI3 is the worst one in the series. 
Make it more like the first one an actual psycho drama spy thriller

Just move Part 2 for Christmas 2024 now that Avatar 3 is no longer there. It worked for Ghost Protocol, it can work again.

Yes, I know Paramount has Sonic 3 there but lets be honest, Sonic can do great in any time of the year.

40 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Just move Part 2 for Christmas 2024 now that Avatar 3 is no longer there. It worked for Ghost Protocol, it can work again.

Yes, I know Paramount has Sonic 3 there but lets be honest, Sonic can do great in any time of the year.

It's not making Summer next year due to the strikes most likely so it will move to the holidays or summer 2025.